True Renovation: The Cathedral of St. Joseph in Sioux Falls.
As many of you when I hear the word renovation I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, however there are times, and they are becoming more the norm than the exception, when a true renovation takes place. This is, happily, one of those times.

A small piece from the article and a bit of history too.

St. Joseph was designed and built by French Beaux-Arts master Emmanuel Masqueray (1861-1917) from 1915 onward, being completed after his death; the renovation, which included the creation and installation of a new baldachin,

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/#76...1786071171

Also please look at the before and after pictures it is quite the contrast.
I saw this earlier today.  So beautiful.

Notice the totally weird positioning of the Cranmer table in the "before" picture.  It is off to the right, instead of being centered.  I suspect that this was intended to relativize the sacrifice and put it on an equal basis with "the word."

Here's the before picture:

[Image: before1.jpg]
Also notice in the new pictures that the altar rails were back.  :)
There is a huge improvement but I have two comments:
Why is the old high altar gone and a new table atar under the baldachino?
And why is Mass being offered Versus Populem?
I could be seeing the images wrong though.
(07-30-2011, 12:11 PM)dan hunter Wrote: There is a huge improvement but I have two comments:
Why is the old high altar gone and a new table atar under the baldachino?
And why is Mass being offered Versus Populem?
I could be seeing the images wrong though.

I would not call the new Altar a table its is obviously a proper Altar the fact is not attached to the wall or reredos not withstanding.

The Mass is being held versus populum because we have passed that hurdle yet. One battle at a time as Father Z often says brick by brick and all that.

Also about the old altar and baldachino I am almost a 100% sure that they are in storage for use at another parish. I remember hearing about it because it was mentioned when the project was just under way.
A huge improvement nontheless.
Thank you Unum Sint!
Many of the new renovations are no longer wreckovations with kneelerless chairs and orange carpets. Rather beauty is being restored.  Where everything was whitewashed, color is returning. Some altar rails are also returning.  My parish church kept part of its rail and I await the day when it is again in use. 

In my archdiocese, here is one renovation of a very plain 50s or 60s style church (Holy Trinity in Westminster)

[Image: sanct2t.jpg?w=499&h=378]

[Image: wedding.jpg?w=500&h=280]
It's incredible how much money has been squandered by bishops restoring, wrecking or revamping their cathedrals. I guess when there is no missionary or evangelization work going on in the diocese you need projects to kill time.