Astrology
What have the Catholic Church doctors stated throughout history about ASTROLOGY?
(07-31-2011, 02:42 AM)wulfrano Wrote: What have the Catholic Church doctors stated throughout history about ASTROLOGY?

St. Albertus Mangus viewed it as morally acceptable and useful. In the Middle Ages, though, it was thought that astrology had a scientific basis. Given the advancement of the natural sciences, it is clear that astrology is a superstition that, like all superstitions, must be avoided by Catholics.
(07-31-2011, 03:03 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(07-31-2011, 02:42 AM)wulfrano Wrote: What have the Catholic Church doctors stated throughout history about ASTROLOGY?

St. Albertus Mangus viewed it as morally acceptable and useful. In the Middle Ages, though, it was thought that astrology had a scientific basis. Given the advancement of the natural sciences, it is clear that astrology is a superstition that, like all superstitions, must be avoided by Catholics.

Thank you, Resurrexi, for your wonderful comments.  However, you must quote the sources regarding St. Albert Magnus and others -pro or con Astrology- in order for them to be acceptable.  I'm sure you understand this.  The point is that I'm confused.  I read somewhere that several Popes towards the Rennaissance had astrologers in the Vatican and freely consulted them for just any important decision  they had to take.
(07-31-2011, 03:15 AM)wulfrano Wrote: I read somewhere that several Popes towards the Rennaissance had astrologers in the Vatican and freely consulted them for just any important decision  they had to take.

Just like Ronald Reagan!  ::)
(07-31-2011, 07:20 PM)Servire Deo Wrote:
(07-31-2011, 03:15 AM)wulfrano Wrote: I read somewhere that several Popes towards the Rennaissance had astrologers in the Vatican and freely consulted them for just any important decision  they had to take.

On the one hand the Church condemns Astrology and on the other hand some of its Popes have seriously studied Astrology and consulted astrologers and drawn up horscopes and believed in Astrology.  Will somebody please explain to me this "contradiction"?
(07-31-2011, 07:49 PM)wulfrano Wrote: On the one hand the Church condemns Astrology and on the other hand some of its Popes have seriously studied Astrology and consulted astrologers and drawn up horscopes and believed in Astrology.  Will somebody please explain to me this "contradiction"?

I know close to nothing about Astrology and have never dabbled in it but I am curious too.
(07-31-2011, 07:51 PM)Servire Deo Wrote:
(07-31-2011, 07:49 PM)wulfrano Wrote: On the one hand the Church condemns Astrology and on the other hand some of its Popes have seriously studied Astrology and consulted astrologers and drawn up horscopes and believed in Astrology.  Will somebody please explain to me this "contradiction"?

I know close to nothing about Astrology and have never dabbled in it but I am curious too.

Dear Servire Deo:

I must warn you that the Council of Toledo in the year 400 and the Council of Braga in 561, both dogmatic councils, send to hell (Anathema sit) all those who believe in Astrology.  So... once again my perplexity... how is it that Popes during the Renaissance believed in  Astrology? 
(07-31-2011, 07:49 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

On the one hand the Church condemns Astrology and on the other hand some of its Popes have seriously studied Astrology and consulted astrologers and drawn up horscopes and believed in Astrology.  Will somebody please explain to me this "contradiction"?

What's there to explain?  Some popes where immoral, some where reprobates, some where ignorant.  If a pope truly believed that the stars determined his future he was a superstitious man who hopefully repented of this sin before he was called to his judgement. 
(07-31-2011, 07:59 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote:

What's there to explain?  Some popes where immoral, some where reprobates, some where ignorant.  If a pope truly believed that the stars determined his future he was a superstitious man who hopefully repented of this sin before he was called to his judgement. 

St. Albert Magnus and St. Thomas Aquinas are in Heaven right this moment and they said some nice things about astrology.... 
(07-31-2011, 08:20 PM)wulfrano Wrote:
(07-31-2011, 07:59 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote:

St. Albert Magnus and St. Thomas Aquinas are in Heaven right this moment and they said some nice things about astrology.... 

This link might clear up St. Thomas' teaching on "astrology" for you.    http://socrates58.blogspot.com/2006/05/d...ology.html