Astrology
The notion that man's destiny is controlled by the stars, planets, and other heavenly bodies is nonsense. Man's destiny is controlled by God.

On the other hand, it's not far fetched to think that stars, planets, and other heavenly bodies have an effect on us in a similar way that the sun and the moon do.
(08-02-2011, 09:30 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: The notion that man's destiny is controlled by the stars, planets, and other heavenly bodies is nonsense. Man's destiny is controlled by God.

On the other hand, it's not far fetched to think that stars, planets, and other heavenly bodies have an effect on us in a similar way that the sun and the moon do.

Could you be more specific?  For example, name the planets one by one and then tell me what each one does individually and astrologically to me biologically, psychologically,  morphologically, temperamentally,  etc.
(08-01-2011, 03:21 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: Another article on the history of  :star: :star: :star: astrology  :star: :star: :star:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02018e.htm
i like the stars, i think it should be now mandatory in the english language that the word be both preceded and followed by three stars in all circumstances and publications lol
(08-02-2011, 10:00 PM)wulfrano Wrote:
(08-02-2011, 09:30 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: The notion that man's destiny is controlled by the stars, planets, and other heavenly bodies is nonsense. Man's destiny is controlled by God.

Could you be more specific?  For example, name the planets one by one and then tell me what each one does individually and astrologically to me biologically, psychologically,  morphologically, temperamentally,   etc.

???  Are you for real? 
(08-02-2011, 10:00 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Could you be more specific?  For example, name the planets one by one and then tell me what each one does individually and astrologically to me biologically, psychologically,  morphologically, temperamentally,   etc.

No. The part of my post  regarding the possibility of stars, planets, etc. and the effect they may have on us was speculation, not a scientifically proven fact.
(08-02-2011, 10:03 PM)Comrade Sun Wrote:
(08-01-2011, 03:21 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: Another article on the history of  :star: :star: :star: astrology  :star: :star: :star:

i like the stars, i think it should be now mandatory in the english language that the word be both preceded and followed by three stars in all circumstances and publications lol

I'd have added the moon, planets, and a comet, but alas, they aren't included in the Fisheaters smileys. ;D
(08-02-2011, 10:03 PM)Comrade Sun Wrote:

The essential and crucial  point in this discussion is to determine how is it possible that two dogmatic councils anathematized Astrology and yet,in spite of that,  St. Albert and St. Thomas (mind you two great intellectual saints in heaven) spoke well of it and Pope Leo X and Pope Julius II (mind you two great catholic dynamic pontiffs) practiced the occult art.?  ?  ?  ?  ?  :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
(08-02-2011, 09:11 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(08-01-2011, 02:32 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: 1. There are aspects of astrology that suggest that we don't have free will, our fate is sealed and can be read in the stars, we should consult oracles, and so on.  This is forbidden.

Sounds kind of like this thread: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...785.0.html

:laughing:
I was in University once and a student did a interesting thing.

We were all what you Americans would call Freshmen.  1st year undergrads and we had been there 3 weeks only.  The first tutorial assignment came up and about a dozen of us from a class of 50 gathered in the Uni library to share the books and help each other out, just a random group who turned up after lectures.  There was a black girl there from Jamaica called Helen, she was a quiet girl and not at all showy or attention seeking.  Fairly moral, did not sleep around, like a girl from a baptist family might be.  I think she ended up getting a first and going into some sort of R&D job.

Somehow the subject got onto Astrology and she mentioned that her mother from Jamaica, or somewhere in the Caribbean, had taught her about it and she was fairly good at telling people's star signs.  So one of the students at the table naturally said, "what am I then?".  You're a Gemini she said.  Yes, I am he said.  One by one without more than a few seconds between each of us, she got all our star signs correct.  I am a Leo, but EVERYONE gets that because I am that character to a tee anyway.  Being a rationalist and a Traditional Catholic I always thought that Horoscopes were total crap.  How could the position of the planets have any effect on our personalities and where was the physical evidence?

Those of us clever enough to understand the mathematical likelihood of her doing this were naturally pretty astonished, but there was nothing creepy about it at the time.  I am still astonished to this day and it was the only physical event I've ever witnessed which I cannot explain.

Finally, she came to the last person at the table my now friend Mark who was the only mature student at the table.  He was 26 and the rest of us were 18 or 19.  She said "You are a Taurus"

"No I am not" he said.  "I am an Aries".  I happened to know he was a Taurus because he had the same birthday as a member of my family and I had seen that on his motorcycle driving licence.

Now that surprises me she said.  I would have thought having heard you ask questions in the class you were a Taurus.

"Ok", he said, "I am a Taurus, you're right".

I don't know how she did it.  To the best of my knowledge she never got any money or fame from it.  But I know what I saw and I can do the maths.

I find it hard to believe there is nothing to horoscopes after seeing that.  I don't read mine or set any store by them as it is against the Commandments to be superstitious.  But equally I find it impossible to come up with a credible natural explanation for this "parlour trick"
(08-03-2011, 03:01 PM)ggreg Wrote: I was in University once and a student did a interesting thing.

We were all what you Americans would call Freshmen.  1st year undergrads and we had been there 3 weeks only.  The first tutorial assignment came up and about a dozen of us from a class of 50 gathered in the Uni library to share the books and help each other out, just a random group who turned up after lectures.  There was a black girl there from Jamaica called Helen, she was a quiet girl and not at all showy or attention seeking.  Fairly moral, did not sleep around, like a girl from a baptist family might be.  I think she ended up getting a first and going into some sort of R&D job.

Somehow the subject got onto Astrology and she mentioned that her mother from Jamaica, or somewhere in the Caribbean, had taught her about it and she was fairly good at telling people's star signs.  So one of the students at the table naturally said, "what am I then?".  You're a Gemini she said.  Yes, I am he said.  One by one without more than a few seconds between each of us, she got all our star signs correct.  I am a Leo, but EVERYONE gets that because I am that character to a tee anyway.  Being a rationalist and a Traditional Catholic I always thought that Horoscopes were total crap.  How could the position of the planet have any effect on our personalities.

Those of us clever enough to understand the mathematical likelihood of her doing this were naturally pretty astonished, but there was nothing creepy about it at the time.  I am still astonished to this day and it was the only physical event I've ever witnessed which I cannot explain.

Finally, she came to the last person at the table my now friend Mark who was the only mature student at the table.  He was 26 and the rest of us were 18 or 19.  She said "You are a Taurus"

"No I am not" he said.  "I am an Aries".  I happened to know he was a Taurus because he had the same birthday as a member of my family and I had seen that on his motorcycle driving licence.

Now that surprises me she said.  I would have thought having heard you ask questions in the class you were a Taurus.

"Ok", he said, "I am a Taurus, you're right".

I don't know how she did it.  To the best of my knowledge she never got any money or fame from it.  But I know what I saw and I can do the maths.

I find it hard to believe there is nothing to horoscopes after seeing that.  I don't read mine or set any store by them as it is against the Commandments to be superstitious.  But equally I find it impossible to come up with a credible natural explanation for this "parlour trick"

"No creo en brujas pero que las hay, hay."