Astrology
(09-05-2011, 12:53 AM)Pheo Wrote:
(09-05-2011, 12:50 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: I'm glad we're all so intelligent now and we've got it all figured out, unlike all our dumb ancestors.

We're so blessed!

I didn't take you for the horoscope type.

I certainly don't dance on my forefathers' graves, feeling happy and self-assured.

And I pity those who do.
Ah, gotcha.  Well I suppose that attitude has led to some massive problems in recent times - fair enough.
(09-03-2011, 12:37 PM)Pheo Wrote:
(09-03-2011, 08:16 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 03:53 AM)wulfrano Wrote: How is it possible for dead physical matter such as that of the planets to be able to affect human personality which is complex, alive and spiritual?

Much of our personality is biological.  Perhaps certain gravitation affects our ability to produce one type of hormone over another.  I think the concept is very interesting, but I would think that if astrology is able to tell us anything about our personality, it would make more sense to base it off of when we are conceived, not a time as biologically insignificant as birth.

Except for the fact that the obstetrician delivering you had more gravitational influence than Jupiter did.  In other words - it's complete rubbish.

Notice that melkite said a certain gravitation. There might be other forces acting in the cosmos that act between planets. If it is complete rubbish then how did Helen do her party trick?
See this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/childr...-have.html

Looks like there might be something to it after all.
Well that article did go on to say ' “I am not giving voice to astrology – it’s nonsense – but we are not immune to seasonal interference,” ' along with a slightly more rational hypothesis.  Although I doubt the study results would hold up with larger cohorts or a prospective design.
Well clearly if there are seasonal effects which can be measured statistically it is not nonsense.  The data suggests that their might be seasonal effects.  That the scientist or report writer said that (not the article writer), might simply be a face saving gesture.

It would be nonsense if there was absolutely no correlation between when people were born and any effect that might have on their character.  Otherwise there MIGHT be something to it.
Vedic Astrology is an ancient Indian science which explains planetary motions and positions with respect to time and their effect on humans and other entities on earth. Vedic astrology can be traced thousands of years back. Early Vedic astrology was only based on the movement of planets with respect to stars, but later on it started including zodiac signs as well. According to Vedic astrology there are 27 constellations made up of 12 zodiac signs, 9 planets and 12 houses with each house and planet representing some aspect of human life.

that's all hogwash. made up granted but hogwash. as to seasons effecting us that's the truth. my ex wife would always sink into a depression in winter and especcily around Christmas's. no stars needed to explain that
Astrology's premise is that the planetary movements influence the Moments in Time. Since we're part of the story of the Universe, our moment of birth recorded on the celestial clock is meaningful. The planets continue to move, engaging with the fixed in time energies of our birth chart. Astrology literally means "the Science of the Stars", from the Greek astrologia: astron (constellation; star) and logia (study of; ordering principle; utterance). It contains both the idea of an organised body of knowledge of the cosmos, along with the way the stars "speak" to us, or give meaning to our lives
(07-31-2011, 07:49 PM)wulfrano Wrote:
(07-31-2011, 07:20 PM)Servire Deo Wrote:
(07-31-2011, 03:15 AM)wulfrano Wrote: I read somewhere that several Popes towards the Rennaissance had astrologers in the Vatican and freely consulted them for just any important decision  they had to take.

Just like Ronald Reagan!  ::)

On the one hand the Church condemns Astrology and on the other hand some of its Popes have seriously studied Astrology and consulted astrologers and drawn up horscopes and believed in Astrology.  Will somebody please explain to me this "contradiction"?

It's a classic case of  " Do as I say...not...do as I do " !