Gettin' attacked for havin' kids...
I'd take the nice approach.  I'd ignore the first comment, and then just kind of make a joke out of it if she does it again.  Plan for a good joke, some kind of light-hearted comeback.  Like: "choice?  I don't know what happened, my wife must have slipped something in my drink!"  or.. "it beats watching tv!"... "at least I'll have an invested diaper brigade when I'm 80!"  I'm sure you can come up with something that fits your style.  Getting mad at such individuals only serves to feed into their anger towards virtue.
(07-31-2011, 07:23 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: Your family represents everything you believe in, but also that belief existing in the future.  People who are angry about your children are angry about your beliefs surviving the test of time.

Also, you should bring it up with them. Ask them why they are opposed to you having children.

Absolutely.  The family is a symbol for our belief.  Someone attacks family, they attack our belief.  

Although, I don't think that the godless are angry that the family survives the test of time--America is still in its heyday of sex culture.  Once all the contraception advocates are old, and alone, and all their families are dead and gone, and they only see minority families, out-of-wedlock children-turned adults, and the few families remaining WHO ARE CATHOLIC...in that day will they truly be upset that we will have survived Time's Test.  

I am not interested in too much religious dialogue with this coworker because I already know she thinks the Earth is overpopulated, and that women should be free to sterilize themselves.  She won't move on that matter.  So, not interested.
(07-31-2011, 07:30 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: I'd take the nice approach.  I'd ignore the first comment, and then just kind of make a joke out of it if she does it again.  Plan for a good joke, some kind of light-hearted comeback.  Like: "choice?  I don't know what happened, my wife must have slipped something in my drink!"  or.. "it beats watching tv!"... "at least I'll have an invested diaper brigade when I'm 80!"  I'm sure you can come up with something that fits your style.  Getting mad at such individuals only serves to feed into their anger towards virtue.

This.

Your coworker already knows that not everyone who volunteers for on-call shifts has children or money problems...some folks want to put by money for new furniture or a vacation.  You never know...she may be lashing out because of her own money problems or perhaps she's having marital problems.  I know it's upsetting, but it's best for everyone if you prevent a scene.
I think you should immediately file a HR complaint that this individual is creating a hostile work environment for you based on your religious beliefs. It's time to hit these bastards and hit them hard, by every legal means possible.
That would really anger me but I wouldn't give her the benefit of her seeing me angry.

Just brush it off. She's probably just jealous. It is a woman's natural desire to have children, after all.

If the attacks get worse, then you might need to inform her supervisor.

Either way, thanks for letting us know so we are not surprised when something like this happens to us.

(07-31-2011, 07:40 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I think you should immediately file a HR complaint that this individual is creating a hostile work environment for you based on your religious beliefs. It's time to hit these bastards and hit them hard, by every legal means possible.

First LM would have to prove that 1) the coworker knows about his religious beliefs and 2) the coworker actually is making a hostile work environment based on that. Americans are way too legalistic and litigious.

Calm down! But in case you might end up in a lawsuit, keeps notes on what happened and when. Lawyers will fold if you have documentation of this nature.
(07-31-2011, 07:40 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I think you should immediately file a HR complaint that this individual is creating a hostile work environment for you based on your religious beliefs. It's time to hit these bastards and hit them hard, by every legal means possible.

I'd go for the combo platter:

Like many people have suggested here, I think you should continue to be calm and cool and professionally cordial (you don't have to be that persons bff, but you shouldn't get angry or lash out) to that person's face, but like Jovan says, I think you should also file a complaint, just so that there is some documentation of it so that if/when a similar thing happens in the future you can prove that it's not the first time.
(07-31-2011, 07:40 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: Either way, thanks for letting us know so we are not surprised when something like this happens to us.

No problem.  That is what this and other forums are for.  Communication is our survival.
(07-31-2011, 07:47 PM)Cassius_Longinus Wrote:

I'd go for the combo platter:

Like many people have suggested here, I think you should continue to be calm and cool and professionally cordial (you don't have to be that persons bff, but you shouldn't get angry or lash out) to that person's face, but like Jovan says, I think you should also file a complaint, just so that there is some documentation of it so that if/when a similar thing happens in the future you can prove that it's not the first time.

Oh, I agree that he should continue to act professionally, etc., but I don't think any of us should let people get away with this sort of thing if there is legal recourse. Think of it as instructing the ignorant! :)
(07-31-2011, 07:01 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: Okay, so the story goes like this.  I'm the kind of guy who likes to ask for call here at the hospital where I work. 

I was asking for some call, when a co-worker near me said: "Hey, it was YOUR choice to start having kids.  That's no one else's fault but YOURS."

Now...nowhere in the conversation had I mentioned that I am having money problems (I'm not), or that I am having trouble supporting my family (I'm not).  It never entered the picture.  This lady came out of nowhere with that statement. 

It has upset me greatly.

First, to suddenly attack me for asking for call.  Second, to base the attack on the idea that I am having children.  As if children are a disease.  A mistake.  A liability.  A bad investment.  As if she were subtly ostracizing me.  'Oh, how dare you have children.'  She knows that I am a Catholic, and that I believe contraception is wrong, and that a married couple's duty is to have the children that God gives them.  And I believe she wants to attack that--subtly--when she can.

I'm pretty mad now.  I think that, if that kind of a scenario happens again, I will state this:

"How dare you try to call me out for being a family man.  As if that is a bad and unvirtuous choice, and a poor decision.  If you try to call me out for my Catholic belief in the institution of family again, I will make a formal complaint with upper management that you are discriminating on my family values and my religion, and I will fill out a form on you."

Thoughts, folks? 

What would you do?  What shall we Catholics do, as we are singled out more and more each day for simply supporting family?   

First I'd have to beleive the story tthe way you tell it...which is tough...but let's say it did happen exactly as you say...the proper reply is a disintetrested..."uh huh."

Maybe she was trying to be funny and stuck her foot in her mouth...Maybe she or you have no sense of humor...mabybe she's just an ass...

lot's of choices here...

You cou just comment..."Yeah, try being lonely when you're getting old and bitter and ready to die."

Or you could say, "yeah, awesome ain't it!?"

Lot's of ways to handle situations without running right out and getting mad...even if you are mad....since as shown above....you could be reading the whole thing incorrectly...like you do so much else....just say'n

As for the notion that "we Catholics are singled out more and more each day for...."

whatever dude

I get this a lot, especially with #7 on the way.  My typical response is "mind your f#$%ing business"