Today Used to Be the Feast of Saint Peter's Chains
(08-01-2011, 04:48 PM)Paul Wrote:
(08-01-2011, 02:50 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Anyone know why?

The 1960 reforms removed several feasts of saints who were celebrated more than once - the Chair of St. Peter in Rome (Jan. 18, leaving the Chair of St. Peter in Antioch, renamed the Chair of St. Peter, Feb. 22), the Seven Sorrows of the BVM (Friday in the I Week of Passiontide, leaving the feast on Sep. 15), the Invention of the Holy Cross (May 3, leaving the Exaltation of the Holy Cross on Sep. 14), St. John at the Latin Gate (May 6, leaving his feast on Dec. 27), the Apparition of St. Michael (May 8, leaving Sep. 29), St. Peter in Chains (Aug. 1, leaving Jun. 29), and the Invention of St. Stephen (Aug. 3, leaving his feast on Dec. 26).

My take on the feast is that it doesn't necessarily commemorate St. Peter himself, but his deliverance from prison and the actual chains themselves.   There was absolutely no excuse to remove this ancient and scripturally accurate feast.  The feast should have been kept.  The modernists won the day on this one. 

Most of the feasts you mentioned above do not commemorate the actual saint - it honors either the apparition, the relic, the action or the emotion of the Saint.  These "superstitious" feasts went against the sensibilities of the Protestants and had to be removed by the Novus Ordo hierarchy (ecumenism trumps all don't you know!).  It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to figure this one out.  The modernists won the day on this, too.
(08-01-2011, 04:48 PM)Paul Wrote:
(08-01-2011, 02:50 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Anyone know why?

The 1960 reforms removed several feasts of saints who were celebrated more than once - the Chair of St. Peter in Rome (Jan. 18, leaving the Chair of St. Peter in Antioch, renamed the Chair of St. Peter, Feb. 22), the Seven Sorrows of the BVM (Friday in the I Week of Passiontide, leaving the feast on Sep. 15), the Invention of the Holy Cross (May 3, leaving the Exaltation of the Holy Cross on Sep. 14), St. John at the Latin Gate (May 6, leaving his feast on Dec. 27), the Apparition of St. Michael (May 8, leaving Sep. 29), St. Peter in Chains (Aug. 1, leaving Jun. 29), and the Invention of St. Stephen (Aug. 3, leaving his feast on Dec. 26).

This.
(08-01-2011, 05:14 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(08-01-2011, 04:56 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Our Cathedral is St. Peter in Chains and we never renamed it.

Actually, once a chapel, church, or cathedral is consecrated to a saint I don't think it's possible to rename it. 

Never heard that. It may be a western rule, but I know of an Eastern Rite Church that was renamed when it changed hands. The Ukrainians had it and when the Ruthenians took it over there was an argument as to what to call it. The ukrainians wanted to keep the name it had, the Ruthenians wanted to call it by the name of their (Churchless) mission. The Ruthenian Eparch stepped in and renamed it yet a third name, St Luke's (Sugar Creek, Missouri).