moving to an anti-feminist central/south american country?
(08-19-2011, 12:55 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 12:54 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: American culture is evil

All human culture is evil, tainted, since the Fall.

Some more evil than others.
(08-19-2011, 12:58 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 12:55 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 12:54 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: American culture is evil

All human culture is evil, tainted, since the Fall.

Some more evil than others.

True.  But all human culture is still evil.  If you seek God by moving from one culture to another, you will always fail.  God comes to us in His Church, which is beyond any culture. 
(08-19-2011, 12:42 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(08-18-2011, 08:12 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: You know I think there are many similarities between trads and the bohemian groups that pop up on campuses. Key amongst these similarities is a rejection of modern culture and a desire to live within a bubble. 

I think there's truth to that. There's a very bohemian girl I know who actually me she only wears skirts and dresses.

In addition, despite it's supposed liberalism, academia can be very hostile toward women.  Academia is one of the few professions left where it's completely acceptable to fire a woman because she has gotten pregnant.  Perhaps my school was an outlier, but I was really shocked at the way male professors treated their female grad students.  And I am not talking about subtle sexism, but the you-better-have-sex-with-me-if-you-want-funding kind of sexism.   I didn't think that sort of stuff happened anymore.
(08-19-2011, 01:01 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: In addition, despite it's supposed liberalism, academia can be very hostile toward women.  Academia is one of the few professions left where it's completely acceptable to fire a woman because she has gotten pregnant.  Perhaps my school was an outlier, but I was really shocked at the way male professors treated their female grad students.  And I am not talking about subtle sexism, but the you-better-have-sex-with-me-if-you-want-funding kind of sexism.   I didn't think that sort of stuff happened anymore.

That kind of stuff will always happen.

It's just human nature.
lol
yep
(08-19-2011, 01:57 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 01:01 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: In addition, despite it's supposed liberalism, academia can be very hostile toward women.  Academia is one of the few professions left where it's completely acceptable to fire a woman because she has gotten pregnant.  Perhaps my school was an outlier, but I was really shocked at the way male professors treated their female grad students.  And I am not talking about subtle sexism, but the you-better-have-sex-with-me-if-you-want-funding kind of sexism.   I didn't think that sort of stuff happened anymore.

That kind of stuff will always happen.

It's just human nature.

I was just really shocked to see this behavior in people who were supposedly liberal and pro-women. I know it shouldn't surprise me, but I really was shocked. Even more shocking was how many feminist scholars turned a blind eye to a lot of this abuse or even joined in it. It was very much good old boys club.

I guess what's shocking was not so much that it happened, but that things happened so overtly. I had a classmate who announced she was a lesbian, but it was widely believed she had only done this to stop advances from her advisor. I have no idea what her orientation is, but it says something about the environment that we all assumed she was lying about being gay.
(08-19-2011, 05:42 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I have no idea what her orientation is

There's no such thing as sexual "orientation."

I hate that PC lingo.
(08-19-2011, 06:23 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 05:42 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I have no idea what her orientation is

There's no such thing as sexual "orientation."

I hate that PC lingo.

Whatever. 
(08-19-2011, 11:47 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 09:00 AM)ggreg Wrote:
(08-18-2011, 02:01 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: After reading these replies, I think the Philippines or Costa Rica may be my best bet. Warm weather, catholic culture, cheap land and standard of living, while still being safe. I just need some place where I can go with my $250k saved in the bank and start my traditional catholic family, and possibly open up my own translating business.

Are catholic eastern european countries any better? (Poland, Ukraine, etc)

If you have that as cash you had better hurry.  Obama and Bennie are printing like madmen.  Those dollars are eroding in spending power fast.

If he has $250,000 in the bank than I am Rick James, witch! 

St. DS,

You apparently have contradicted yourself in your new claim of having banked $250,000.  I seem to recall that you said you were 19 considering seminary or joining the military.  Perhaps you have quite the inheritance, but your posting doesn't seem to mesh with that situation.

Do you mean that your plan would be to move to Central/South America after socking away this?
(08-19-2011, 07:44 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: Do you mean that your plan would be to move to Central/South America after socking away this?

That's the  way I read it. If so, he's  got plenty of time for research! LOL