Here is what my alma mater, Niagara University's chapel used to look like:
However, sometimes the opposite happens. 

In town here there is a former synagogue/masonic temple/pentecostal meeting house that was converted into a traditional Catholic chapel. 
(08-02-2011, 11:06 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: However, sometimes the opposite happens. 

In town here there is a former synagogue/masonic temple/pentecostal meeting house that was converted into a traditional Catholic chapel. 
Great to hear!

Do you have any pictures of it?
[img][/img]
(08-02-2011, 11:08 PM)dan hunter Wrote:
(08-02-2011, 11:06 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: However, sometimes the opposite happens. 

Great to hear!

Do you have any pictures of it?

I don't really have any good before or after pictures.  But, in the following picture the stained glass window at top with IHS in it used to be a Star of David (actually I think it still is...the IHS is just carefully covering it).  The plaque in the lower left hand corner is covering up an inscription to the building when it became a Protestant church. And they painted over the corner stone dedicating the building as a synagogue. There also used to be a Star of David at the pinnacle of the roof, but I believed they have covered it up with a cross.
[Image: image011.jpg]

From the inside, the stained glass windows are all original to when the synagogue was built and all have Jewish symbols in them like the minora, the Star of David, and I believe the 10 commandments.  The chapel has kept them to honor the old testament (and also because the building is a historic building and they're limited in how they can alter it).  However, some of the windows had masonic symbols and they were removed. In the image below you can see where they removed parts of the stained glass from the first two windows on the left.  The altar rail was purchased off ebay.
[Image: image15.jpg]

Later statues of the saints were installed on the right wall.

[Image: image011.gif]

And a new tabernacle and altar constructed.

[Image: image007.gif]

Beautiful renovation!

Is it part of the Diocese of York PA?

I think I have seen shots of this church.
(08-03-2011, 12:04 AM)dan hunter Wrote: Beautiful renovation!

Is it part of the Diocese of York PA?

I think I have seen shots of this church.

The church is in York, PA. The diocese is Harrisburg. 
Wow,
What a great looking parish.
Who is the pastor?
(08-03-2011, 12:06 AM)dan hunter Wrote: Wow,
What a great looking parish.
Who is the pastor?

The chapel isn't a parish. It's actually an independent chapel. Fr. Samuel Waters is the pastor. 
For a period after the Council some of the Vincentians at Niagara and St. john's stayed solid but it didn't last from what i see, their other school DEpaul in Chicago is a complete cesspool
(08-02-2011, 11:06 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-02-2011, 11:00 PM)dan hunter Wrote: I am using the quote thingy.
Thought you would be proud of me...

I am, Sir! :laughing: Good on you!

Now I just have to teach you how to embed pictures!