Pacifism
An intelligent adherence to pacifism is neither cowardly or at odds with Catholicism. I agree though, I cannot see how one can be against warfare in principle and unjust aggressors. The duty would remain to define what is legitimate and morally acceptable in going to war. It has been argued by many theologians of the 20th century including Cardinal Ottaviani that modern [total] warfare is intrinsically evil but that is a slightly different issue than pacifism.
(08-05-2011, 01:06 PM)obscurus Wrote: An intelligent adherence to pacifism is neither cowardly or at odds with Catholicism. I agree though, I cannot see how one can be against warfare in principle and unjust aggressors. The duty would remain to define what is legitimate and morally acceptable in going to war. It has been argued by many theologians of the 20th century including Cardinal Ottaviani that modern [total] warfare is intrinsically evil but that is a slightly different issue than pacifism.

@ obscurus.  World War IV will be fought by robots.  BTW I love your avatar "obscurus".
(08-05-2011, 08:15 PM)wulfrano Wrote:
(08-05-2011, 01:06 PM)obscurus Wrote: An intelligent adherence to pacifism is neither cowardly or at odds with Catholicism. I agree though, I cannot see how one can be against warfare in principle and unjust aggressors. The duty would remain to define what is legitimate and morally acceptable in going to war. It has been argued by many theologians of the 20th century including Cardinal Ottaviani that modern [total] warfare is intrinsically evil but that is a slightly different issue than pacifism.

@ obscurus.  World War IV will be fought by robots.   BTW I love your avatar "obscurus".

Did I miss WWIII, lol.
(08-06-2011, 09:51 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

@ obscurus.  World War IV will be fought by robots.   BTW I love your avatar "obscurus".

Did I miss WWIII, lol.

I think it was nutball Albert Einstein who said:  "The next war will be fought with sticks and stones."  I think he meant only apes would be survivors after a nuclear WWIII.  I just changed "apes" to "robots".
(08-06-2011, 10:08 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Did I miss WWIII, lol.

I think it was nutball Albert Einstein who said:  "The next war will be fought with sticks and stones."  I think he meant only apes would be survivors after a nuclear WWIII.  I just changed "apes" to "robots".

Haha. What does Einstein know.  :P

I see your thought process.
(08-06-2011, 10:12 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

Did I miss WWIII, lol.

Well... a man who lets the devil inspire him a physics-chemistry formula has to be a nutball.
(08-06-2011, 10:14 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Did I miss WWIII, lol.

Well... a man who lets the devil inspire him a physics-chemistry formula has to be a nutball.

At least he was a theist. Which is more than I can say for many of today.
(08-06-2011, 10:20 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

Did I miss WWIII, lol.

I don't know where you got your information from. I always thought that  he was an atheist.
(08-06-2011, 10:26 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Did I miss WWIII, lol.

I don't know where you got your information from. I always thought that  he was an atheist.

Some physics teacher of mine quoted him as saying that God must have created everything. Could be wrong. Maybe he was mason luciferian satanist.
(08-06-2011, 10:34 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(08-06-2011, 10:26 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Did I miss WWIII, lol.

Some physics teacher of mine quoted him as saying that God must have created everything. Could be wrong. Maybe he was mason luciferian satanist.

Albert Einstein: From a Jesuit Viewpoint, I am an Atheist
I received your letter of June 10th. I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist.
- Albert Einstein, letter to Guy H. Raner Jr, July 2, 1945, responding to a rumor that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism; quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic, Vol. 5, No. 2