Pacifism
(08-06-2011, 10:26 PM)wulfrano Wrote: I don't know where you got your information from. I always thought that  he was an atheist.

http://www.nndb.com/people/302/000022236/ Wrote:Albert Einstein-
Often used the word "God" or "Old Man" as a metaphor for the Laws of Nature. As a member of the American Humanist Association, there is little reason to think he believed in any kind of personal God. In a letter to Eric Gutkind dated 3 January 1954 he wrote, "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish... For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people

I'm pretty sure he was an atheist, but not certain.
(08-06-2011, 10:46 PM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(08-06-2011, 10:26 PM)wulfrano Wrote: I don't know where you got your information from. I always thought that  he was an atheist.

http://www.nndb.com/people/302/000022236/ Wrote:Albert Einstein-
Often used the word "God" or "Old Man" as a metaphor for the Laws of Nature. As a member of the American Humanist Association, there is little reason to think he believed in any kind of personal God. In a letter to Eric Gutkind dated 3 January 1954 he wrote, "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish... For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people

I'm pretty sure he was an atheist, but not certain.

""The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish... For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions.

There you go!

Thank you, Kevin.
(08-06-2011, 10:45 PM)wulfrano Wrote: Albert Einstein: From a Jesuit Viewpoint, I am an Atheist
I received your letter of June 10th. I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist.
- Albert Einstein, letter to Guy H. Raner Jr, July 2, 1945, responding to a rumor that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism; quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic, Vol. 5, No. 2

Albert Einstein Wrote:"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." According to Hubertus, Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg, Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.
(08-06-2011, 11:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-06-2011, 10:45 PM)wulfrano Wrote: Albert Einstein: From a Jesuit Viewpoint, I am an Atheist
I received your letter of June 10th. I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist.
- Albert Einstein, letter to Guy H. Raner Jr, July 2, 1945, responding to a rumor that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism; quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic, Vol. 5, No. 2

Albert Einstein Wrote:"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." According to Hubertus, Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg, Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.

Anyone denying The Most Holy Trinity, for all intents and purposes, is an atheist.
(08-07-2011, 03:49 AM)wulfrano Wrote: Anyone denying The Most Holy Trinity, for all intents and purposes, is an atheist.

Maybe in your view, but an atheist is defined as one who believes in no Supreme Being and Einstein does not qualify.

He also said 'God does not play dice' with the universe. Hardly sounds like someone who was an atheist.
(08-07-2011, 03:56 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 03:49 AM)wulfrano Wrote: Anyone denying The Most Holy Trinity, for all intents and purposes, is an atheist.

Maybe in your view, but an atheist is defined as one who believes in no Supreme Being and Einstein does not qualify.

He also said 'God does not play dice' with the universe. Hardly sounds like someone who was an atheist.

If he had really believed in God he would have made every effort to find Him in the True Church of Christ, something which he never did.  Therefore, in my opinion, he died as an atheist.
(08-07-2011, 04:03 AM)wulfrano Wrote: If he had really believed in God he would have made every effort to find Him in the True Church of Christ, something which he never did.  Therefore, in my opinion, he died as an atheist.

Wulfrano, I assume that English is not your first language, but I also assume that Spanish has a cognate to atheism/atheist. Would it be 'ateismo/ateisto? Surely, you know enough Greek to see a=without, theos=God. Without God Einstein was not. Muslims and Jews, as we agree, do not worship the True God as we do, but they are not 'without God'
(08-07-2011, 04:08 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 04:03 AM)wulfrano Wrote: If he had really believed in God he would have made every effort to find Him in the True Church of Christ, something which he never did.  Therefore, in my opinion, he died as an atheist.

Wulfrano, I assume that English is not your first language, but I also assume that Spanish has a cognate to atheism/atheist. Would it be 'ateismo/ateisto? Surely, you know enough Greek to see a=without, theos=God. Without God Einstein was not. Muslims and Jews, as we agree, do not worship the True God as we do, but they are not 'without God'

In Spanish its "ateísmo-ateo".

Don't you know that in order to be saved you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?
(08-07-2011, 04:34 AM)wulfrano Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 04:08 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

In Spanish its "ateísmo-ateo".

Don't you know that in order to be saved you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?

I never claimed that he was saved by his theism, simply that he was not an atheist.
Kevin:

I read the OP, but none of the responses - Protestants and atheists very frequently selectively take whatever they want from The Bible, and, out of context, twist it to make whatever is the argument du jour.  I find that under such circumstances, one should only make one attempt to counter the argument with either another passage or the argument of the fallibility of personal interpretation.  After that, it becomes a tar baby and futile.  Know your scripture, but, unlike a Protestant, know it within the context of authority of The Church.