Pacifism
(08-07-2011, 03:56 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 03:49 AM)wulfrano Wrote: Anyone denying The Most Holy Trinity, for all intents and purposes, is an atheist.

Maybe in your view, but an atheist is defined as one who believes in no Supreme Being and Einstein does not qualify.

He also said 'God does not play dice' with the universe. Hardly sounds like someone who was an atheist.

Thank you Jovan, I knew there was some quote I heard from physics class that showed he was a theist.
(08-07-2011, 04:37 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 03:56 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 03:49 AM)wulfrano Wrote: Anyone denying The Most Holy Trinity, for all intents and purposes, is an atheist.

Maybe in your view, but an atheist is defined as one who believes in no Supreme Being and Einstein does not qualify.

He also said 'God does not play dice' with the universe. Hardly sounds like someone who was an atheist.

Thank you Jovan, I knew there was some quote I heard from physics class that showed he was a theist.

On of his more famous quotes, actually. :)
A friend of mine who has a Master's in Physics and is currently researching for his Phd stated that Albert Einstein believed in a vague "spirit" or some "other". I don't think we can label Einstein a theist in the same way that we could a Thomas Jefferson.
(08-07-2011, 05:03 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 04:34 AM)wulfrano Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 04:08 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 04:03 AM)wulfrano Wrote: If he had really believed in God he would have made every effort to find Him in the True Church of Christ, something which he never did.  Therefore, in my opinion, he died as an atheist.

Wulfrano, I assume that English is not your first language, but I also assume that Spanish has a cognate to atheism/atheist. Would it be 'ateismo/ateisto? Surely, you know enough Greek to see a=without, theos=God. Without God Einstein was not. Muslims and Jews, as we agree, do not worship the True God as we do, but they are not 'without God'

In Spanish its "ateísmo-ateo".

Don't you know that in order to be saved you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?

I never claimed that he was saved by his theism, simply that he was not an atheist.

And what good did that do him?  He is in Hell right now.
(08-07-2011, 01:22 PM)CaoimhinPConnell Wrote: Kevin:

I read the OP, but none of the responses - Protestants and atheists very frequently selectively take whatever they want from The Bible, and, out of context, twist it to make whatever is the argument du jour.  I find that under such circumstances, one should only make one attempt to counter the argument with either another passage or the argument of the fallibility of personal interpretation.  After that, it becomes a tar baby and futile.  Know your scripture, but, unlike a Protestant, know it within the context of authority of The Church. 

What does OP mean?
(08-07-2011, 05:40 PM)wulfrano Wrote: What does OP mean?

Original Post.
(08-07-2011, 05:48 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Original Post.

You are still learning the lazy internet lingo hey Wulfrano. Good luck

GL G2G PCE CYA LOL ROFL LMAO JK ....

Original Post.

Thank you, Jovan
(08-07-2011, 05:53 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

Original Post.

You are still learning the lazy internet lingo hey Wulfrano. Good luck

GL G2G PCE CYA LOL ROFL LMAO JK ....

That's the way I learned to use the computer.  I did not have any formal schooling.  Whatever I know, I learned by asking questions.
(08-04-2011, 06:00 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: I'm no pacifist, but in discussing this topic I find that many seem to think that pacifism is Christian and that killing in all situations is against Christ's commandments.

Mainly pacifists cite the words of Christ:
Quote:And Jesus said: Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness. Matthew 19:18

Then Jesus saith to him: Put up again thy sword into its place: for all that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Matthew 26:52

I really don't know how to counter this argument.

I bring up points of self-defense and protection as well as stopping evil causes that destroy the faith, but pacifists always seem to come back to this.

St. Augustine and his Bellum iustum (Just War) helps if you're trying to debate whether a war is just or not, but if a person doesn't think any war is just it doesn't help at all.

I guess I'm looking for some biblical evidence or writings from the fathers which allow for killing in certain situations.

I have a feeling this is a lot easier to find then I think, I just have no experience with this issue.

:shrug:

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3040.htm

St. Thomas, Summa Theologiae, II-II, q. 40, a. 1 Wrote:Augustine says in a sermon on the son of the centurion (Ep. ad Marcel. cxxxviii): "If the Christian Religion forbade war altogether, those who sought salutary advice in the Gospel would rather have been counselled to cast aside their arms, and to give up soldiering altogether. On the contrary, they were told: 'Do violence to no man . . . and be content with your pay' [Lk 3:14]. If he commanded them to be content with their pay, he did not forbid soldiering." …

And as the care of the common weal is committed to those who are in authority, it is their business to watch over the common weal of the city, kingdom or province subject to them. And just as it is lawful for them to have recourse to the sword in defending that common weal against internal disturbances, when they punish evil-doers, according to the words of the Apostle (Romans 13:4): "He beareth not the sword in vain: for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil"; so too, it is their business to have recourse to the sword of war in defending the common weal against external enemies. Hence it is said to those who are in authority (Psalm 81:4): “Rescue the poor: and deliver the needy out of the hand of the sinner."

And the Roman Catechism teaches: "In like manner, the soldier is guiltless who, actuated not by motives of ambition or cruelty, but by a pure desire of serving the interests of his country, takes away the life of an enemy in a just war.  Furthermore, there are on record instances of carnage executed by the special command of God. The sons of Levi, who put to death so many thousands in one day, were guilty of no sin; when the slaughter had ceased, they were addressed by Moses in these words: 'You have consecrated your hands this day to the Lord'" (part III, ch. VI; cf. Exodus 32:29).

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/thec...ifth.shtml