Gov. Rick Perry's Prayer Event
On Saturday, Texas Governor will be hosting a major prayer event in Houston in which thousands of Christians are expected to attend.  Governor Perry is calling this a "call to prayer for a nation in crisis."  The prayer event has sparked some controversy over the Governor's role in organizing the event, and also it's exclusion of non-Christians. What do you all think of the event?

Let me list some pros and cons:

Pro: It's good to see a politician unafraid to show his faith!
Con: He's a Methodist.

Pro: It's good to see a politician calling people to pray together!
Con: We don't like ecumenical prayer services.

Pro: All people who attend will state: "We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory."
Con: All people who attend will state: "We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God."

Pro: Jews and Muslims weren't invited!
Con: Neither were traditional Catholics sad 
I don't care that Prots are getting together to pray...just that Aug 6 has been officially proclaimed by the governor of Texas as a day of prayer & fasting.

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/proclamation/16247/
(08-06-2011, 01:10 AM)Underdog Wrote: I don't care that Prots are getting together to pray...just that Aug 6 has been officially proclaimed by the governor of Texas as a day of prayer & fasting.

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/proclamation/16247/

Charismatic Catholics will be there too Smile
I'll take this Bible-thumper over a Mormon or a... whatever Barry is... any day!

Perry quoted in the article:  "With the economy in trouble, communities in crisis and people adrift in a sea of moral relativism, we need God's help" - I think all of us can generally agree on that.
(08-06-2011, 01:05 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: Pro: Jews and Muslims weren't invited!
Con: Neither were traditional Catholics sad 

looks to me like everyone was invited and not in an Assissieque play fest, but a come as you are and help...
Sad that a protty Methodist has more of a Catholic sense then JPII the Pope and his Assisi flower power love fest.
Yeah, I only pray with Catholics.
I pray with anyone who asks if I would pray with them...there is nothing more touching that folks in a stressful situation asking you, who they do not know, to join their family to pray if you like. I can't think of anything more rude or unChristian than refusing such a request/offer

Even sometimes praying while they pray while their family member dies...nothing wrong with that...they don't know your Catholic and they don't care....and if they did know....they still wouldn't care since almost no one now-a-days is really an anti-Catholic bigot.  Most have no idea what religious relativism is, because the don't know what relativism is, the just think everyone's a denomination, and if they thought about it they might see that there is inconsistency and so relativism, but the fact is they never think that far and they'd just chalk the plethora of denominations up to taste not some overriding conviction...
Quote:If anyone prays with heretics, he is a heretic. 
-St. Agatho, Pope

No one can pray with heretics and be a Catholic. 
-St. Agatho, Pope

Heresy: is when we join in prayer with heretics. 
-Pope Piux XI

Nothing wrong with praying for the repose of someones soul, or praying for a heretic. But to join together with them in some type of prayer service or whatnot (which is what this is) is not a Catholic event and should not be attended.
(08-06-2011, 04:41 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: I pray with anyone who asks if I would pray with them...there is nothing more touching that folks in a stressful situation asking you, who they do not know, to join their family to pray if you like. I can't think of anything more rude or unChristian than refusing such a request/offer

I agree there is nothing wrong with a government declaring a fast and for Catholics to take part in such a fast.  But, if you had been invited to this prayer event would you have attended.  I don't think Governor Perry has done anything wrong or unconstitutional (our political leaders are allowed to practice their faith).  But, this did get me thinking. We often lament here that our religious leaders are not religious, but would we happy to have leaders who always put their faith first, if that faith was the wrong one?