Stay home if you're sick!
This is something that really, really annoys me. Yesterday I was in the library and realized that a girl sitting not too far away from me had been sniffing for ages. She continued to sniff for about another half an hour, so I left. The last thing I need right now is a cold....but today I'm starting to feel weird, like I'm might be getting one.

WHY can't people be considerate and stay at home when they're contagious instead of spreading of their germs everywhere? WHY study in the library infecting everyone in sight, instead of just resting at home and trying to get better, and then going back out into the world?

It just seems selfish. Stay home if you're sick. That's all. Especially if you're a student--there is simply no excuse (like, "I can't feed my family if I don't go to work." Fine.) But nobody can make a claim that a student simply can't skip the library for once.

UGH
I notice the same thing.

It usually comes out of a complete disregards for the welfare of others.
(08-12-2011, 09:02 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: Especially if you're a student--there is simply no excuse (like, "I can't feed my family if I don't go to work." Fine.) But nobody can make a claim that a student simply can't skip the library for once.

There is too.  Perfect attendance.  If you have perfect attendance you are the greatest student ever.  And you get a shiny pin when you graduate.  Otherwise you are a slacker and will be flipping burgers your entire life.  That's generally how they played it up in high school and below.  In college, not so much, because nobody cares if you're in class or not.  But often there is the temptation to go to class when sick because of the incredible difficulty of catching up if you miss a single lecture.
You're overreacting, Iola.

Put the kettle on.
Is it really realistic to sequester yourself for a week or more until all your symptoms are gone?

In addition, I am pretty sure the incubation period of a cold is more than a day. So, I doubt that girl got you sick.

Finally,  Americans are lazy and call off as soon as they get a runny nose. We would be better off if we had the mentality that you should only call off from work if you've been hit by a bus or something.
Maybe it was just allergies?  I have really bad allergies and people often look at me as if I am about to give them the plague when I start sniffling and sneezing. Don't know - just trying to be an eternal optimist. :)
(08-12-2011, 03:24 PM)Gakmo Wrote: Maybe it was just allergies?  I have really bad allergies and people often look at me as if I am about to give them the plague when I start sniffling and sneezing. Don't know - just trying to be an eternal optimist. :)

I agree.   I have periods of bad allergies and it may seem that I am ill to others, but I really feel fine other than the allergy stuff.   The thing is, it's hard for others to tell.  Also, when I do have an illness (cold, flu), I generally suffer more from the after-effects than the actual sickness, so when I'm at my worst, most people would never know it and then after I'm feeling pretty good, everyone thinks I've got some death-dealing illness when in reality I'm not contagious at all.   So odds are that you're catching illnesses from people who don't even look sick.  I suggest hanging around all the sniffling people and avoiding the healthy-looking ones.

As for staying home or going to work/school, I've never missed work on account of illness, most likely because I was the only one available to do the job and if I didn't do it, nobody would, so I went no matter what I felt like.   I will cancel appointments that are unnecessary, though I admit this is purely because I just don't feel like going and doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with my caring a thing about the next person.    ;D
(08-12-2011, 03:24 PM)Gakmo Wrote: Maybe it was just allergies?  I have really bad allergies and people often look at me as if I am about to give them the plague when I start sniffling and sneezing. Don't know - just trying to be an eternal optimist. :)

Yes, and ragweed season is upon us. Sigh.
That's like people who don't cover their mouths when they cough. Nothing makes me angrier.
I've been snuffling and sneezing ever since I got to Iowa. I don't have a cold, just allrgies to unfamiliar pollens.