Stay home if you're sick!
I understand both sides to this complaint.  As a parent, I really hate being out somewhere with the kids and hearing another child hack and wheeze and see their yellow drippy nose...knowing full well that if my children haven't been getting enough sleep or eating properly or have just gotten over a sickness...in a few days time (maybe a week or two) it'll be my child who is hacking and wheezing and dripping.  On the other hand, try being a parent who has been cooped up with sick children for weeks (because for some reason they hardly ever all come down with something at the same time)...and they're all going crazy because they haven't been able to get their wiggles out...so you risk it and take them to the nearest indoor giant hamster tube playground...knowing that your kids are probably gonna give their cooties to all the other kids there...but it postpones your losing yer sanity just one more day.  Fortunately, my kids are pretty healthy...and the stuff they do come down with doesn't last long and is easily treated at home.

I second the coughing into one's elbow.  I teach my kids to do that...because kids don't run to wash their hands every time they cough.
(08-12-2011, 05:31 PM)Dust Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 09:02 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: Especially if you're a student--there is simply no excuse (like, "I can't feed my family if I don't go to work." Fine.) But nobody can make a claim that a student simply can't skip the library for once.
When I was a student, we had work to do (some of which involved the library) that we could fail out if we didn't get it done.  If you skipped class, you had to get caught up on the material prior to the test.  So actually, it was a matter of feeding my future family.

Then again, I took actual classes and got a real degree in something marketable...

Oh, right. My degree was a piece of cake. Nevermind.  ::) I have no idea what academic stress is like. Guess what: I also have had work to do as a student which involved the library and which I would have been failed for not doing.

That doesn't change how annoying and inconsiderate it is when people sit in the library with a cold instead of staying home.
(08-12-2011, 03:12 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Is it really realistic to sequester yourself for a week or more until all your symptoms are gone?

A cold only lasts a week or more if you don't take care of yourself. Staying home, keeping warm, resting and drinking warm liquids for one day will work wonders towards getting over a cold or at least preventing it from getting worse. Then you go back to work or school like nothing ever happened and since I've been in both situations I know exactly how much goes wrong when you skip a day of either of those: almost nothing. One the other hand, some people refuse to admit they're ill, rush out into the world, spread their germs everywhere, get worse, stay sick longer, spread even more germs, and then act like sainted martyrs because they push themselves when apparently the rest of the world is just looking for an excuse to be lazy. Meanwhile somebody's grandmother has caught a cold from them, gets bronchitis, and dies.
(08-13-2011, 03:20 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 09:02 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: Especially if you're a student--there is simply no excuse (like, "I can't feed my family if I don't go to work." Fine.) But nobody can make a claim that a student simply can't skip the library for once.
When I was a student, we had work to do (some of which involved the library) that we could fail out if we didn't get it done.  If you skipped class, you had to get caught up on the material prior to the test.  So actually, it was a matter of feeding my future family.

Then again, I took actual classes and got a real degree in something marketable...
Oh, right. My degree was a piece of cake. Nevermind.  ::) I have no idea what academic stress is like. Guess what: I also have had work to do as a student which involved the library and which I would have been failed for not doing.

That doesn't change how annoying and inconsiderate it is when people sit in the library with a cold instead of staying home.
Your degree is in what?  Let me guess... bad liberal ideas... err... "liberal arts"?  Unless you studied something like science or engineering or went to somewhere like TAC, chances are your degree was a joke.  Sorry.
(08-13-2011, 05:07 PM)Dust Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 03:20 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:

Your degree is in what?  Let me guess... bad liberal ideas... err... "liberal arts"?  Unless you studied something like science or engineering or went to somewhere like TAC, chances are your degree was a joke.  Sorry.

What did you study and what's your job?

I have a degree in Classics from UC Berkeley. In a couple of weeks I'll have a master's degree. I have often felt let down by my degree but that's not what this conversation is about--it's about you making the claim that YOU can't skip school, but all us other jokesters don't know what academic pressure is like and therefore can wallow at home if we have the sniffles.

TAC?  :laughing: No thanks to four more years of highschool.
UC (Peoples' Republic of) Berkley? That explains a lot! :laughing:
(08-13-2011, 05:30 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: UC (Peoples' Republic of) Berkley? That explains a lot! :laughing:

What does it explain?
(08-13-2011, 05:39 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 05:30 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: UC (Peoples' Republic of) Berkley? That explains a lot! :laughing:

What does it explain?

A degree from one of the premier commie schools in, probably, the biggest hotbed of communism, feminism, anti-Americanism and every other nutty left-wing 'ism' in the country?
(08-13-2011, 05:42 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

What does it explain?

A degree from one of the premier commie schools in, probably, the biggest hotbed of communism, feminism, anti-Americanism and every other nutty left-wing 'ism' in the country?

You forgot to mention the Black Panthers.
(08-13-2011, 05:42 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

What does it explain?

You made a bunch of statements. What does that prove about me?