Stay home if you're sick!
(08-13-2011, 07:19 PM)Pheo Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 07:07 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 06:47 PM)Dust Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 05:16 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: What did you study and what's your job?
Engineering, and yes, I am working directly in my field.

And so you look down on people who studied liberal arts and assume they've never worked hard?

Ever translate a hundred lines of Euripides at 4 in the morning? How about doing that every night for years?

Dust might not think this, but my first year roommate was an engineering student, and he always made fun of me for being in science (pre-med).  I think they called all non-engineers "Artsies" or something?  As if the assinine ERTW thing that got written all over campus wasn't bad enough.  It's an engineer thing.  I wouldn't take it too seriously...not that I think you'll lose sleep over it :P

Engineers are full of crap.
3 of my buddies are engineers and are always boasting about how much they can drink and party....I can drink all three of 'em under the table and still have the ability to recite the alphabet backwards. Much ado about nothing, imo. And considering how many bridges/buildings are falling apart here in Canada, I wouldn't be too proud to be an engineer.
And so you look down on people who studied liberal arts and assume they've never worked hard?

Ever translate a hundred lines of Euripides at 4 in the morning? How about doing that every night for years?
In my experience, that would make you part of the exception that I was trying refer to when I pointed to places like TAC.  My impression of TAC could be way off, but I know there are exceptions.
(08-13-2011, 07:19 PM)Pheo Wrote: Dust might not think this, but my first year roommate was an engineering student, and he always made fun of me for being in science (pre-med).  I think they called all non-engineers "Artsies" or something?  As if the assinine ERTW thing that got written all over campus wasn't bad enough.  It's an engineer thing.  I wouldn't take it too seriously...not that I think you'll lose sleep over it :P
What the heck is ERTW?
(08-13-2011, 07:46 PM)Dust Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 07:19 PM)Pheo Wrote: Dust might not think this, but my first year roommate was an engineering student, and he always made fun of me for being in science (pre-med).  I think they called all non-engineers "Artsies" or something?  As if the assinine ERTW thing that got written all over campus wasn't bad enough.  It's an engineer thing.  I wouldn't take it too seriously...not that I think you'll lose sleep over it :P
What the heck is ERTW?

Ah, maybe that's more regional.  "Engineers rule the world."
(08-13-2011, 07:48 PM)Pheo Wrote:
What the heck is ERTW?
Huh... never heard that.  If only it were true.  I'd love to get rid of the politicians...

And I've got nothing against scientists... engineering is applied science after all.  And science is applied math...
(08-13-2011, 07:55 PM)Dust Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 07:48 PM)Pheo Wrote:
What the heck is ERTW?
Huh... never heard that.  If only it were true.  I'd love to get rid of the politicians...

And I've got nothing against scientists... engineering is applied science after all.  And science is applied math...

Emphasis mine.

Dust, you need to watch this.

ENGINEERS REPRESENT!
(08-13-2011, 07:55 PM)Dust Wrote:   And science is applied math...

And St Augustine said, 'Beware the mathematicians, they may already be in league with the Devil!' :laughing:
(08-13-2011, 07:42 PM)Dust Wrote:

In my experience, that would make you part of the exception that I was trying refer to when I pointed to places like TAC.  My impression of TAC could be way off, but I know there are exceptions.

From what I've heard of TAC, the students spend their time setting up LAN parties and sneaking off campus to drink.
(08-13-2011, 08:14 PM)piabee Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 07:42 PM)Dust Wrote:

From what I've heard of TAC, the students spend their time setting up LAN parties and sneaking off campus to drink.

That's what we do at MY school! 

Well, except the drinking part.  We just get hammered in the dorms.