Stay home if you're sick!
(08-13-2011, 08:15 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 08:14 PM)piabee Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 07:42 PM)Dust Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 07:07 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 06:47 PM)Dust Wrote:
(08-13-2011, 05:16 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: What did you study and what's your job?
Engineering, and yes, I am working directly in my field.
And so you look down on people who studied liberal arts and assume they've never worked hard?

Ever translate a hundred lines of Euripides at 4 in the morning? How about doing that every night for years?
In my experience, that would make you part of the exception that I was trying refer to when I pointed to places like TAC.  My impression of TAC could be way off, but I know there are exceptions.

From what I've heard of TAC, the students spend their time setting up LAN parties and sneaking off campus to drink.

That's what we do at MY school! 

Well, except the drinking part.  We just get hammered in the dorms.

Respect
(08-13-2011, 03:20 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 05:31 PM)Dust Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 09:02 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: Especially if you're a student--there is simply no excuse (like, "I can't feed my family if I don't go to work." Fine.) But nobody can make a claim that a student simply can't skip the library for once.
When I was a student, we had work to do (some of which involved the library) that we could fail out if we didn't get it done.  If you skipped class, you had to get caught up on the material prior to the test.  So actually, it was a matter of feeding my future family.

Then again, I took actual classes and got a real degree in something marketable...

Oh, right. My degree was a piece of cake. Nevermind.  ::) I have no idea what academic stress is like. Guess what: I also have had work to do as a student which involved the library and which I would have been failed for not doing.

That doesn't change how annoying and inconsiderate it is when people sit in the library with a cold instead of staying home.

Lol.  Academic stress...not really.  That's the great thing about music.  All the classes were moderately hard, but not hard hard (I think my worst ever was "advanced placement" chemistry in high school).  The actual music, otoh, yeah, you have to be on top of your stuff lest Starker or another from his cohort of cello goons rips you a new one in front of the rest of his students, and other professors observing etc.

I have to agree about being sick and using public places.  It’s pretty telling that the priests even have to announce from the pulpit not to come to Mass or school sick, or to bring sick children.  I understand that this isn’t always an option for some families on Sundays, but when pink eye goes around the academy (again), there’s a reason for it, and that reason is inconsiderate parents.  If something is contagious (and highly so, like pink eye), spring for the medicated eyedrops, and keep yer whippersnapper away from other children!
(08-15-2011, 08:39 PM)Cassius_Longinus Wrote: I have to agree about being sick and using public places.  It’s pretty telling that the priests even have to announce from the pulpit not to come to Mass or school sick, or to bring sick children.  I understand that this isn’t always an option for some families on Sundays, but when pink eye goes around the academy (again), there’s a reason for it, and that reason is inconsiderate parents.  If something is contagious (and highly so, like pink eye), spring for the medicated eyedrops, and keep yer whippersnapper away from other children!
Yeah, keep the kid with pink eye home.  No argument here...