Michele Bachmann is worried about the Renaissance
I don't like Bachmann but I agree with her on this. This makes me wonder why she doesn't see the light and become a traditional Catholic.

Quote:It's the Renaissance, stupid.

The economy is not what ails us today. No, what ails Americans is what Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo and their artistic spawn have wrought in the culture, starting 500 years ago. The Renaissance has dragged us all down.

Tea party queen and Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann is convinced that America is sinking into tyranny. Why? In a remarkable profile of the candidate appearing in the Aug. 15 issue of the New Yorker magazine, the artistic flowering of the Italian Renaissance takes a beating for having done away with the god-fearing Dark Ages.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturem...sance.html
I always did like the middle ages, especially the  religious architecture. I never did like the combining of the pagan themes with Catholic art during the renaissance. I'd rather have western iconography.
Michelle Bachmann is pretty daggon good...Don't know that I care about her oppinion of the middle ages though
(08-12-2011, 11:24 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: Michelle Bachmann is pretty daggon good...Don't know that I care about her oppinion of the middle ages though

Fish Eaters here have long demanded that someone run for president that embraces the middle ages in all its glory. 

Finally, a candidate comes along who says she will just do that, but then Fish Eaters complain she is trying to take us back to the Dark Ages...
(08-12-2011, 11:27 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(08-12-2011, 11:24 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: Michelle Bachmann is pretty daggon good...Don't know that I care about her oppinion of the middle ages though

Fish Eaters here have long demanded that someone run for president that embraces the middle ages in all its glory. 

Finally, a candidate comes along who says she will just do that, but then Fish Eaters complain she is trying to take us back to the Dark Ages...

LOL LOL

Why wouldn't she oppose the Renaissance? It was in reaction to the Catholicism of that period that the heresiarch Luther reacted. Out of his satanic rebellion came the Wisconsin Lutheran Synod Church, to which she belonged until outed (much like B. Hussein ibn Barrack and his 'pastor' the America hating, black racist, Jeremiah White). Then she lied about iand said it was false that her Church taught that the Pope is the anti-Christ. Unfortunately for her, the leaders of her church said, 'Oh yes, we do!'
(08-12-2011, 11:27 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Scip ain't like the rest when it comes to the middle ages  Wink
Some Fishies may like this but to the general US public it will make her look like a complete nut.
Well, then why not defend her if the average American criticizes her?

She is absolutely correct, but I find it pleasantly shocking that an orthodox Lutheran would come to this conclusion.  Since the revolt in the 16th century, it became clear that the temporal power of the Church and the stability provided by organized monarchical societies was collapsing. 

The high water mark of the Church and Christian society came before the Great (Western) Schism, but even after this disaster was ended, the Pope still commanded enormous real power in settling political disputes (e.g., when Portugal and Spain accepted Pope Alexander's division of the New World.)

Today, the Pope has almost no practical power, temporal or spiritual.

But as goes the Church, so follows society.  Ms. Bachmann identifies that this period was a revolution in social order.  Out of this period, very different approaches to life began to manifest: empericism over timeless faith, supremacy of man over spiritual matters (thanks to Luther and Henry VIII), and a creeping nihilism that began with the poisonous idea that Earth is just a random marble in space at the mercy of other celestial bodies rather than the common sense and unanimous opinion up to that point that Earth was the jewel of all creation from which all other bodies are set.

She won't win because voting is ascinine.  Policians need to sell government favors to the highest bidder and legions of narcissists who think their opinions are so important buy one brand of propaganda over the other.  It is just as well that some other Masonic demon vessel take the reigns of power - because iby 2015 this game is over.
(08-12-2011, 11:22 PM)TeaGuyTom Wrote: I always did like the middle ages, especially the  religious architecture. I never did like the combining of the pagan themes with Catholic art during the renaissance. I'd rather have western iconography.

Not talking pagan themes here, but I quite like the blend of late Medieval Art with early Italian Renaissance. Just saw a tremendous exhibit at the Art Instititue this Spring entitled Kings, Queens, and Courtiers. You should have seen the Breviaries they had on display that belonged to Kings, Queens, and the Nobility.

Sounds like an anti-Catholic slam. The Sistine Chapel is Renaissance. Why doesn't this nut talk about Picasso, and modern art?

This is interesting. It is part 1 of 2. If you're interested, you can figure out how to get to part 2.

The Plot Against Art

(08-13-2011, 05:21 AM)Baskerville Wrote: Some Fishies may like this but to the general US public it will make her look like a complete nut.

Actually, it's the Reformation, Stupid. And she is a flippin' nut.

But, she doesn't talk about that, now does she?

Not calling you stupid, Just referring to first line of the OP.