Protestant idiocy...
(08-18-2011, 12:02 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Useless thread.

We're acting like proud Pharisees, stroking our egos and relishing on the faults of others.

I agree as well!

We're acting like proud Pharisees, stroking our egos and relishing on the faults of others.

No.  It's important to be vigilant against these activities that endanger souls and dilute doctrine and sacraments.  This emotionalism is in no way beneficial to our souls.  These people will get attached to this nonsense and seek it elsewhere outside Catholicism, incorrectly believing that they somehow need it, when what they really need is the grace of sacraments being given to us as Christ intended.
(08-19-2011, 03:38 AM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote:

No.  It's important to be vigilant against these activities that endanger souls and dilute doctrine and sacraments.  This emotionalism is in no way beneficial to our souls.  These people will get attached to this nonsense and seek it elsewhere outside Catholicism, incorrectly believing that they somehow need it, when what they really need is the grace of sacraments being given to us as Christ intended.

Exactly. Pointing out their foolishness demonstrates  to them that their behavior is not normal, it's like video taping a drunk man and having him watch his drunken stupor after he's sober. Sometimes you don't know how ridiculous you are until somebody points it out to you.
As a previous poster eluded to, it is pretty bizarre that protestants have to be handled ever so delicately, while a novus ordo Catholic gets chucked into the trash.
Last I knew they weren't the one's openly rejecting the Seat of Peter, deliberately blaspheming Our Lord's Church, and sowing indifference towards Our Blessed Mother. I would've expected a little more honesty and tough love directed toward those who damn us as idol worshipers on a Traditional Catholic forum.  :doh:

Anyway, back on topic:
You obviously missed the point and the spirit of my early post. No-one here is going to fall for the kind of petty emotionalism found in Protestant and Catholic charismatic circles but some here might fall for that pharisaical pride which looks to everyone who is in error with contempt, an equally dangerous attitude for one's soul.

Anyway, these are examples of fringe groups even within Protestantism. At least say it as it is, don't generalise the idiocy.
What Vetus said. It might help US (you and me) if we look at Protestants as "potential Catholics" instead of idiots. They need to be converted and we're not going to do that by making fun of them. That's why this IS a useless thread.
(08-19-2011, 12:52 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: You obviously missed the point and the spirit of my early post. No-one here is going to fall for the kind of petty emotionalism found in Protestant and Catholic charismatic circles but some here might fall for that pharisaical pride which looks to everyone who is in error with contempt, an equally dangerous attitude for one's soul.

Anyway, these are examples of fringe groups even within Protestantism. At least say it as it is, don't generalise the idiocy.

I understood the point and spirit of your original post. You're exercising pure sophism by attaching a malicious emotive value to the wording of my post. When I refer to "protestant idiocy" I'm not  doing so in a contemptuous manner, I don't think you can find where I stated that "protestants are idiots", because I didn't, however, this is the meaning you deceitfully decided to assign to my post. You people are displaying the ever so prevalent defensive attitude of "attacking the behavior = attacking the person", this attitude is almost always used in a manner that is supposed to discourage somebody from practicing the 3rd spiritual work of mercy. That being said: It is also incorrect to state that I have to specify whether examples of  "protestant idiocy" belong to mainstream protestants or not, since I never made a generalization regarding the whole of protestantism to begin with.
(08-19-2011, 02:35 PM)Dellery Wrote: I understood the point and spirit of your original post. You're exercising pure sophism by attaching a malicious emotive value to the wording of my post. When I refer to "protestant idiocy" I'm not  doing so in a contemptuous manner, I don't think you can find where I stated that "protestants are idiots", because I didn't, however, this is the meaning you deceitfully decided to assign to my post. You people are displaying the ever so prevalent defensive attitude of "attacking the behavior = attacking the person", this attitude is almost always used in a manner that is supposed to discourage somebody from practicing the 3rd spiritual work of mercy. That being said: It is also incorrect to state that I have to specify whether examples of  "protestant idiocy" belong to mainstream protestants or not, since I never made a generalization regarding the whole of protestantism to begin with.

I'm sorry to have disturbed your self-righteousness but you're grasping at straws here. Let me refresh your memory. You simply stated in the OP: "Protestant idiocy...Lets see some examples of it, I'll start." The meaning was quite clear: it was a thread to bash Protestants. It's not a constructive and meaningful criticism of Protestant errors, it's just useless ego stroking.

Later on you confirmed my initial assessment that you were talking of Protestants in general, not just fringe groups, with phrases like "pointing out their [i.e., the Protestants'] foolishness demonstrates to them that their behavior is not normal" or "it is pretty bizarre that protestants have to be handled ever so delicately, while a novus ordo Catholic gets chucked into the trash. Last I knew they weren't the one's openly rejecting the Seat of Peter, deliberately blaspheming Our Lord's Church, and sowing indifference towards Our Blessed Mother. I would've expected a little more honesty and tough love directed toward those who damn us as idol worshipers on a Traditional Catholic forum."

I guess your "tough love" smacks a bit of pharisaical disorientation.
(08-19-2011, 12:56 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: What Vetus said. It might help US (you and me) if we look at Protestants as "potential Catholics" instead of idiots. They need to be converted and we're not going to do that by making fun of them. That's why this IS a useless thread.

English
[edit] Alternative forms

idiotcy

[edit] Etymology

Could be from Ancient Greek ἰδιωτεία (idioteia), or perhaps simply from idiot + -cy.
[edit] Noun

idiocy (plural idiocies)

(psychology) The state or condition of being an idiot; the quality of having an intelligence level far below average; mental retardation.
    An act lacking intelligence or sense; an instance of senselessness; extremely foolish behaviour.

The administrators, growing tired of such idiocy, put a new policy in place.

If the shoe fits...
(08-19-2011, 03:10 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 02:35 PM)Dellery Wrote: I understood the point and spirit of your original post. You're exercising pure sophism by attaching a malicious emotive value to the wording of my post. When I refer to "protestant idiocy" I'm not  doing so in a contemptuous manner, I don't think you can find where I stated that "protestants are idiots", because I didn't, however, this is the meaning you deceitfully decided to assign to my post. You people are displaying the ever so prevalent defensive attitude of "attacking the behavior = attacking the person", this attitude is almost always used in a manner that is supposed to discourage somebody from practicing the 3rd spiritual work of mercy. That being said: It is also incorrect to state that I have to specify whether examples of  "protestant idiocy" belong to mainstream protestants or not, since I never made a generalization regarding the whole of protestantism to begin with.

I'm sorry to have disturbed your self-righteousness but you're grasping at straws here. Let me refresh your memory. You simply stated in the OP: "Protestant idiocy...Lets see some examples of it, I'll start." The meaning was quite clear: it was a thread to bash Protestants. It's not a constructive and meaningful criticism of Protestant errors, it's just useless ego stroking.

Later on you confirmed my initial assessment that you were talking of Protestants in general, not just fringe groups, with phrases like "pointing out their [i.e., the Protestants'] foolishness demonstrates to them that their behavior is not normal" or "it is pretty bizarre that protestants have to be handled ever so delicately, while a novus ordo Catholic gets chucked into the trash. Last I knew they weren't the one's openly rejecting the Seat of Peter, deliberately blaspheming Our Lord's Church, and sowing indifference towards Our Blessed Mother. I would've expected a little more honesty and tough love directed toward those who damn us as idol worshipers on a Traditional Catholic forum."

I guess your "tough love" smacks a bit of pharisaical disorientation.

You can make anybody's post smack of anything with enough malignant sophistry, you make the intarwebz proud.
Like the Catholic clergy doesn't have it's share of kooks....... :crazy:

:pointlaff: