Headcoverings
(08-21-2011, 06:50 PM)m.PR Wrote: Typical male contempt for feminine work.  Rolling eyes

You are unfairly reading things into my posts that I didn't write.

Contempt?  I'd give the same advice regarding "masculine work" as well.  Do you want to save money on bookshelves but you don't want cheap Ikea style stuff?  Learn to build them.  Need a shed but don't want to spend that much to buy one?  Build one.  The list is endless.

The OP specifically asked for cost-effective suggestions.  I think buying in bulk or looking around for a good seller are just fine options.  But the most cost effective would still be to sew them yourself.  It's a good suggestion, even if not for everyone, and I stand by it!

To relate this to another thread: maybe it's just the crunchy in me.  But I do think we have become a society so reliant on mass corporitization (is that a word?) and transportation that not only do we often not choose to do certain things ourselves (whcih is okay) but we actually think it's crazy to attempt them ourselves at all!
(08-21-2011, 07:27 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(08-20-2011, 02:33 AM)ggreg Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 02:54 PM)aDREfromMI Wrote: Oh dear. I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue how to sew, much less where to buy the lace!

There is this tool called the Internet.  You can search for "lace suppliers" and "how to use a sewing machine"

If illiterate women in the third world can use a sewing machine how hard can it be?  It is just a square of cloth for goodness sake.  You cut it with a razor blade and a wooden stencil and hem the sides.  That's about it I would guess.

Show a little backbone.  If you sew them yourself your budget will go 5-10 times as far.  More women get their heads covered which is your objective is it not.

Go for it, buddy. Make my day. Sew one and post it on the internet. Big shot.

I am not your buddy. I will gladly sew one and send it to the forum owner. If she says it is nice then you must apologize for your comment above and admit they are easy to make. Deal?
(08-23-2011, 01:16 AM)ggreg Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 02:54 PM)aDREfromMI Wrote: Oh dear. I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue how to sew, much less where to buy the lace!

There is this tool called the Internet.  You can search for "lace suppliers" and "how to use a sewing machine"

If illiterate women in the third world can use a sewing machine how hard can it be?  It is just a square of cloth for goodness sake.  You cut it with a razor blade and a wooden stencil and hem the sides.  That's about it I would guess.

Show a little backbone.  If you sew them yourself your budget will go 5-10 times as far.  More women get their heads covered which is your objective is it not.

I am not your buddy. I will gladly sew one and send it to the forum owner. If she says it is nice then you must apologize for your comment above and admit they are easy to make. Deal?

No proof without video.  LOL
It stands to reason that putting a hem on what is essentially a flat piece of cloth is one of the simplest sewing tasks you can do. There are no complex angles or linings or button holes or zippers to line up or anything like that. If you could not learn to hem a piece of lace within a day or two then how the heck do illiterate Chinese peasants make clothes for 5 billion people. They would need to be trained for years.

You seem touchy. I was poking fun, or trying to. I should've known better than to do that with you. You tend to be a pretty morose character.

So, I'll just say I'm sorry in advance. There. Feel better?

Why do I get the ickies almost every time I'm at this forum lately?

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(08-23-2011, 06:35 AM)Jacafamala Wrote:

You seem touchy. I was poking fun, or trying to. I should've known better than to do that with you. You tend to be a pretty morose character.

So, I'll just say I'm sorry in advance. There. Feel better?

Why do I get the ickies almost every time I'm at this forum lately?

Dear Jacamafala: you are poster I respect greatly.  I would ask you to re-read what you wrote: "Go for it, buddy. Make my day. Sew one and post it on the internet. Big shot. ."

Then reconsider: ggreg's response wasn't so out of line.  It seemed to me like you wanted to challenge him and basically said he was a liar, he couldn't sew and so it was silly of him to suggest that to someone else.

This thread shouldn't be about a sewing challenge anyway.  Though I did responde to Jayne that I have some sewing experience, it's beside the point.  I think the merits of the logic of the argumetn are sufficient.

The argument goes like this:

People all around the world, for centuries, have done sewing at home, without special talent or training.  Buying raw materials and sewing is much cheaper than finished products.  The OP wants more mantillas for less money for a good reason.  We assume she is capable of sewing.  Conclusion: she should consider sewing :-).
(08-23-2011, 02:58 AM)ggreg Wrote: It stands to reason that putting a hem on what is essentially a flat piece of cloth is one of the simplest sewing tasks you can do. There are no complex angles or linings or button holes or zippers to line up or anything like that. If you could not learn to hem a piece of lace within a day or two then how the heck do illiterate Chinese peasants make clothes for 5 billion people. They would need to be trained for years.

They are trained for years, starting at a very early age, learning to sew by hand and machine, if someone is lucky enough to have a machine.  Most Asians learn how to make clothes without using patterns, too.  They weren't born knowing how to do those things but they learn in early life. 

But you keep overlooking the real point here: the OP asked for sources of inexpensive veils.  If she, or he, had wanted to make veils, the OP would have asked for sources of free or inexpensive lace and for directions on making mantillas.

(08-23-2011, 03:17 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

Buying raw materials and sewing is much cheaper than finished products.  The OP wants more mantillas for less money for a good reason.  We assume she is capable of sewing.  Conclusion: she should consider sewing :-).

WHY do you "assume she is capable of sewing"? 

Because she has two X chromosomes?  Women aren't born knowing how to sew and not many are taught today.

We also don't know that the OP is female.  There are men who work as DREs.

Everyone is capable of sewing because putting a hem on a flat piece of cloth is the easiest sewing job in the world.  It is hard to imagine what could be easier than to make than a mantila

That is why children can make clothes for Gap and Nike because the clothes they make are simple once shown how.  They cannot have years of experience because they start making them at 10 years old as soon as they stop playing.  They are not trained, just shown what to do.  Monkey see, monkey do.

She wanted to get her small budget to go as far as possible.  You cannot outsource jobs like this to India or China because that needs scale.  If you pay a westerner to make them most of your budget goes on their labour, healthcare costs, social security, energy costs and minimum wage requirements.

If you make them yourself you retain control of the quality, you can afford better materials, you can produce small numbers of custom designs and you can make sure that if customers want a shorter, fatter, wider, blacker, whiter, most opaque, less opaque or diamond encrusted model that you respond to their needs.  If you grow so big you cannot make them yourself anymore than you can either train staff to do it, Monkey see, Monkey do.  Or you can negotiate with a supplier with full knowledge of the jargon which is going to mean you can get a better deal.
(08-23-2011, 04:11 PM)Revixit Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 03:17 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

Buying raw materials and sewing is much cheaper than finished products.  The OP wants more mantillas for less money for a good reason.  We assume she is capable of sewing.  Conclusion: she should consider sewing :-).

WHY do you "assume she is capable of sewing"? 

Because she has two X chromosomes?  Women aren't born knowing how to sew and not many are taught today.

We also don't know that the OP is female.  There are men who work as DREs.

Please don't read some silly anti-woman sentiment into what I write.  I assume the OP is capable of sewing because she is capable of posting online.  I assume any decently smart (not mentally disabled) man or woman can learn to sew basic stuff.