Headcoverings
(08-24-2011, 08:06 AM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(08-24-2011, 07:25 AM)Revixit Wrote: It's the trad macho world. 

Exactly. The second the OP said she wasn't interested in/able to sew the veils, the idea should have been dropped. I like both ggreg and newyorkcatholic, and neither of them seems to have  a negative attitude towards women at all, but it's this kind of pushy, know-it-all obnoxiousness that earns trad men their poor reputation.

There is no way I can respond to all the stuff Revisit threw at me, but quickly: (1) an entire parish doing everything by itself is extreme, but a parish have parishioners doing *more* things by itself is a great idea.  Example: we don't cater our after-Mass breakfasts -- we do it all ourselves.  If someone can sew and repair vestments, use them!  And so on.  (2) You keep repeating stuff like male vs female, but I don't assume only women can sew.  (3) You also said I "insinuate" that it's the only way.  Sewing is not the only fricking way!  But it's cheaper.  I could go one, but you are not listening and I'm tired of repeating myself.

BTW this is what I am referring to: "Since you and ggreg have asserted that there is nothing to making veils, and insinuated that it's wrong to spend money to buy them" -- I think you should apologize for this false characterization.  Of course you disagree with me if you somehow got this warped understanding of my view.

To Iolanthe: If it were just a convo between me and the OP, I would have dropped the topic in a second.  But when I am accused of being a woman-hater who suggests a ridiculous and crazy stupid evil thing like sewing the things to a person who asks about how to get mantillas and save some money, I am going to respond!  This thread is about more than just suggestions for the OP.  Doing some sewing or doing other things for yourself, especially if you want to save money, is a good thing.  It just is :-).  And it's not the only way, but I don't want to be villified for making that suggestion, and I feel right to defend myself.
The problem was that both you and ggreg kept pushing the idea AFTER the OP said TWICE that she wasn't interested in sewing the veils herself. I don't understand why it's hard to imagine how annoying that would be. You do stuff yourself? Great. That doesn't mean that everyone can or should make things instead of buying them.
(08-24-2011, 03:10 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: The problem was that both you and ggreg kept pushing the idea AFTER the OP said TWICE that she wasn't interested in sewing the veils herself. I don't understand why it's hard to imagine how annoying that would be. You do stuff yourself? Great. That doesn't mean that everyone can or should make things instead of buying them.

I wasn't pushing the idea on her, or at least I didn't mean to.  I meant and still mean only to defend the idea of sewing the mantillas as reasonable.

In other words:

"The OP doesn't want to sew them" is okay.

"So you never should have suggested it, it's because you hate women, what a crazy idea that the mantillas could be sewn" -- that's not okay, that's unreasonable.
Well, I didn't say the second one.  LOL I agree that would be unreasonable.
Go to www.yarmulkes.com, then click on "chapel caps" on the right side of the page. You can get a gross (144) for $29.00 plus a little shipping. They are flat lace caps made out of plastic. Just issue "bobbie pins" with each cap.
We bought them for the church. We set them in back so gals can use them.
Cheers

(08-19-2011, 07:17 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: What's a DRE?

[Image: 22573-dr.-dre.jpg]

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(08-24-2011, 05:48 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 07:17 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: What's a DRE?

[Image: 22573-dr.-dre.jpg]

LOL

So do directors of religious education have a stake in the East Coast - West Coast gangsta rap rivalries?