Poll: Which ancient Liturgy do you prefer
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Ancient Liturgy Preference (only respond if you have attended both)
(08-21-2011, 04:56 PM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(08-21-2011, 04:52 PM)Peter J Wrote:
(08-21-2011, 02:35 PM)usque ad hilaritatem Wrote:
(08-20-2011, 04:03 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: Doubtless the TLM.. I don't know what I'd do without the "Suscipe, sancte Pater," Offerimus tibi, Domine," and "Sucsipe, sancta Trinitas." The offertory as a whole is one of the most beautiful and theologically rich parts of the Mass, and there simply is no offertory in the Eastern liturgy.

Another thing that I prefer about the TLM is that holy Communion is distributed to the faithful under single species
I actually find the symbolism with intiction to be very beautiful. I wish Communion was distributed via intinction in the Latin Mass.

I agree.

Is there ever a time in which it may possibly come back?
I hope so.
(08-22-2011, 05:44 AM)usque ad hilaritatem Wrote:
(08-20-2011, 04:03 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: Doubtless the TLM.. I don't know what I'd do without the "Suscipe, sancte Pater," Offerimus tibi, Domine," and "Sucsipe, sancta Trinitas." The offertory as a whole is one of the most beautiful and theologically rich parts of the Mass, and there simply is no offertory in the Eastern liturgy.

Another thing that I prefer about the TLM is that holy Communion is distributed to the faithful under single species
I actually find the symbolism with intiction to be very beautiful. I wish Communion was distributed via intinction in the Latin Mass.

I agree.

I hope so.

I hope not.

When holy Communion is distributed under both species to the people, it is easy for the ill-informed to conclude that it is necessary for salvation that the laity receive under both species, or that the whole Christ is not received under either species. Moreover, when holy Communion is distributed under the appearances of wine to the faithful, there is great danger of spillage of our Lord's precious Blood. We should be satisfied with adoring our Lord's Blood in the chalice and not demand that we drink from that chalice.
(08-22-2011, 06:12 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(08-21-2011, 02:35 PM)usque ad hilaritatem Wrote: I actually find the symbolism with intiction to be very beautiful. I wish Communion was distributed via intinction in the Latin Mass.

I agree.

I hope so.

I hope not.

When holy Communion is distributed under both species to the people, it is easy for the ill-informed to conclude that it is necessary for salvation that the laity receive under both species, or that the whole Christ is not received under either species. Moreover, when holy Communion is distributed under the appearances of wine to the faithful, there is great danger of spillage of our Lord's precious Blood. We should be satisfied with adoring our Lord's Blood in the chalice and not demand that we drink from that chalice.

Are you sure you understand how intinction works?
(08-22-2011, 09:50 AM)Peter J Wrote:
(08-21-2011, 02:35 PM)usque ad hilaritatem Wrote: I actually find the symbolism with intiction to be very beautiful. I wish Communion was distributed via intinction in the Latin Mass.

I agree.

I hope so.

I hope not.

Are you sure you understand how intinction works?

It would not work so well with the more dense unleavened bread. The leaven of eastern rite absorbs and priest ensures with care that no precious blood drips off the spoon.
(08-22-2011, 01:46 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: It would not work so well with the more dense unleavened bread. The leaven of eastern rite absorbs and priest ensures with care that no precious blood drips off the spoon.

Actually, having received, many times, by intinction in the Anglican Church, I never saw a problem with it and they use the same unleavened bread the West does. Not saying I want to see it return in the West, necessarily, but I don't think there's a logistical problem with it.

I agree.

I hope so.

I hope not.

You don't drink from the cup with intinction. The consecrated bread is placed into the wine, then onto the tongue of the communicant. If Christ would have been worried about people having false ideas regarding communion under both kinds, why would he have instituted it under both kinds? As long  as the laity are informed about the presence of Christ being entirely under one or both kinds, it shouldn't be an issue.

I agree.

I hope so.

I hope not.

Well apparently the Latin Church has had a glut of ill-informed individuals for a long time. The Eastern Churches have communed under both species from time immemorial. Perhaps the Easterners are just smarter than the Latins?  :P
(08-22-2011, 06:12 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: I hope not.

When holy Communion is distributed under both species to the people, it is easy for the ill-informed to conclude that it is necessary for salvation that the laity receive under both species, or that the whole Christ is not received under either species.

Hogwash.  This has never been an issue in the East.  Do you in the West have difficulty catechizing your faithful?  If people in the West think they need to receive both species in order to receive the Body and Blood, then the only reason is because your Church has failed to catechize them properly.  One could just as easily say that it is bad to only receive under one species because it will make the ill-informed think that receiving both is somehow polluting the Host.  Your concern is both absurd and unrealistic.  Don't hold onto bad tradition because you think people are too stupid to understand, man up and ^&*%ing catechize your laity properly!
(08-22-2011, 10:09 PM)Silouan Wrote: Perhaps the Easterners are just smarter than the Latins?  :P

I don't know about smarter. Less inclined toward innovation, perhaps.
Difficult to choose - but the Divine Liturgy, by a head.