Aristotle/Aquinas Epistemology
Thanks for some good book tips! The "Socrates Meets..." series sounds gold, if it's well done!
(08-23-2011, 04:03 AM)Benno Wrote: Thanks for some good book tips! The "Socrates Meets..." series sounds gold, if it's well done!
So far I've Socrates meets Jesus, Kant, and Hume. I have Karl Marx next to read. I think there done pretty well. It's easy to follow and kreeft shows you the flaws in there philosophy and does also establishes Aristotle/ Aquinas's philosophy too. Not to mention these books are funny too.
I think that the underlying first princlpes and themes of Thomstic epistemology are:

1.  The reality of things exists in those things - combats the cartesian "methodic doubt," because if we take for a first principle that the reality of things exist in those things, then we don't need to doubt these external realities in the first place, because "that things and their realities exist," inside of me, outside of me, wherever, is self-evident, and the methodic doubt is absurd because it denies this basic self evident premise.

2.  That the first principle of all knowledge is taken in through the senses - this also refutes the methodic doubt of descartes, in that descartes starting point of his "cogito," is backwards because sense knowledge presupposes his ability to think.  He doubted all expect that he was thinking, but if he really believed that, then he would have had to doubt all that led him up to his ability to doubt all that he doubted, which was given to him through sense data, which therefore meant that he either 1) would have had to doubt even that he was thinking because he doubted what led up to his ability to think, or 2) he would have had to go backward on everything because his ability to think presupposed sense knowledge which gave him the ability to "reason" (if you want to call it that), and thus, he really did not doubt all but his ability to think, because his thinking relied on accumulation of sense data which turned into his ability to think.

Make sense?
(08-24-2011, 09:35 PM)jordanawef Wrote: I think that the underlying first princlpes and themes of Thomstic epistemology are:

1.  The reality of things exists in those things - combats the cartesian "methodic doubt," because if we take for a first principle that the reality of things exist in those things, then we don't need to doubt these external realities in the first place, because "that things and their realities exist," inside of me, outside of me, wherever, is self-evident, and the methodic doubt is absurd because it denies this basic self evident premise.

2.  That the first principle of all knowledge is taken in through the senses - this also refutes the methodic doubt of descartes, in that descartes starting point of his "cogito," is backwards because sense knowledge presupposes his ability to think.  He doubted all expect that he was thinking, but if he really believed that, then he would have had to doubt all that led him up to his ability to doubt all that he doubted, which was given to him through sense data, which therefore meant that he either 1) would have had to doubt even that he was thinking because he doubted what led up to his ability to think, or 2) he would have had to go backward on everything because his ability to think presupposed sense knowledge which gave him the ability to "reason" (if you want to call it that), and thus, he really did not doubt all but his ability to think, because his thinking relied on accumulation of sense data which turned into his ability to think.

Make sense?
yes, makes a great deal of sense. This sounds a lot like Etienne Gilson's book " Thomist Realism & critique of knowledge". I read it some of things he said stuck with me for the most part and other things were bit hard to grasp. I post this question to refine what i knew. Which makes wonder. Did you read that book? If you haven't i feel like you would enjoy that book very much.
No, I have not read that.
I had already read Kant and Hume but  till now I didn't read Thomist  Realism & critique of knowledge.Now will definitely read it.
This lecture might help some:

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/aristotl...an-thought