Saint John of Avila to be Declared a Doctor of the Church
Okay since we can't be nice we're going back to the original four doctors of the church: Saints Jerome, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Ambrose.  

That's right, Saint Thomas Aquinas doesn't get to be a doctor!  
(08-22-2011, 01:46 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: St. Isadore of Seville, who died in 560, wasn't made a doctor of the Church until more than a millennium later, in 1722. It sometimes does take quite a long time for worthy saints to be made doctors of the Church.

What exactly did Therese of Lisieux do that is worthy of he being called a Doctor of the Church?
(08-22-2011, 01:46 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: St. Isadore of Seville, who died in 560, wasn't made a doctor of the Church until more than a millennium later, in 1722. It sometimes does take quite a long time for worthy saints to be made doctors of the Church.

1) St. Isidore was male;
2) In 1722 the Church wasn't infected with modernism and liberalism up to the top.
(08-22-2011, 01:35 AM)Gorgondie Wrote: Saint Therese lissuex is not a teacher or a doctor or w.e. being women aside. She cant' even be compared to the other Doctors. She did not teach in anyway that resembles the way they did.
She lived a holy life she lived the little way, if you wanna go around swapping words and say she "taught" the little way w.e it still doesnt compare with the mass theological works these Doctors of the church did.

Quality vs. quantity.  Also it's not a matter of teaching at all but rather the Church commending the teaching and not just the example of holiness presented by the saint.  Also, teaching is not the same thing as theological system.  Saint Therese of Lisieux is not as great a theologian as Saint Augustine  Smile, but she is a greater saint and she did very likely have a greater understanding of holiness and sanctity - the deep things of God.  She left much of this understanding to us.  This is what is commended.  Saint Augustine and Saint Therese had different areas of expertise.  I would go so far as to say that you have neglected your theological understanding if you neglected the teaching of these three women and especially Saint Therese.  The Church would agree... sorry.  Not my opinion, the Churches.  That's how the Church commends the teaching to everyone... Doctor title.
(08-22-2011, 01:49 AM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: Quality vs. quantity.  Also it's not a matter of teaching at all but rather the Church commending the teaching and not just the example of holiness presented by the saint.  Also, teaching is not the same thing as theological system.  Saint Therese of Lisieux is not as great a theologian as Saint Augustine  Smile, but she is a greater saint and she did very likely have a greater understanding of holiness and sanctity - the deep things of God.  She left much of this understanding to us.  This is what is commended.  Saint Augustine and Saint Therese had different areas of expertise.  I would go so far as to say that you have neglected your theological understanding if you neglected the teaching of these three women and especially Saint Therese.  The Church would agree... sorry.  Not my opinion, the Churches.  That's how the Church commends the teaching to everyone... Doctor title.

Which "Church" Shrubber?

The Catholic Church or the new "I want to appease the world" Church?
(08-22-2011, 01:49 AM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote:   Saint Therese of Lisieux is not as great a theologian as Saint Augustine  Smile, but she is a greater saint and she did very likely have a greater understanding of holiness and sanctity

um... whaaa? so you deem Therese to have a greater understanding of holiness then Augustine becuase you say so... ya okay w.e guy
(08-22-2011, 01:53 AM)Gorgondie Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:49 AM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote:   Saint Therese of Lisieux is not as great a theologian as Saint Augustine  Smile, but she is a greater saint and she did very likely have a greater understanding of holiness and sanctity
um... whaaa? so you deem Therese to have a greater understanding of holiness then Augustine becuase you say so... ya okay w.e guy

You're now qualified to determine that St. Therese had a greater understanding of holiness than did St. Augustine.

How laughable.
(08-22-2011, 01:43 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:35 AM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: What of Saint Therese of Lisieux is not of the same category as the above other than not being a bishop?  The Church does teach that one does not need to be bishop to be a great saint or to have a great impact on the world.  The Doctor pertains to the teaching, not the office that they held.  These three women did give the Church priceless teaching that no man in church history was better able to present.  That is just the truth.  Sorry.  Saint Teresa of Avila wrote more thoroughly and more eloquently on prayer than any other male or female saint.  Therefore Doctor of Prayer.  Not my opinion -- the Church's.  If the Church wanted to appease feminists she sure is doing an awful job of it.  What world have you been living in?

What an emotional rant! St. Teresa of Avila (16th century) "wrote more thoroughly and more eloquently on prayer than any other male or female saint" and yet we had to wait until Paul " I want to destroy the Church" VI came along to realise it!

When, pray tell, were these female saints ever declared "doctors" if not in the post-conciliar milieu, infested with modernism, liberalism and feminism? Wake up and smell the coffee.

I live in the real world, I've taken the red pill a long time ago.

The Jassenists (many of them left anyway) in the Church had other things to bitch about in the 60's so the time was ripe to finally suggest officially that women might just have something to give to the intellectual life of the Church.  Your complaint just explains why it might have taken so long.
(08-22-2011, 01:46 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:43 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:35 AM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: What of Saint Therese of Lisieux is not of the same category as the above other than not being a bishop?  The Church does teach that one does not need to be bishop to be a great saint or to have a great impact on the world.  The Doctor pertains to the teaching, not the office that they held.  These three women did give the Church priceless teaching that no man in church history was better able to present.  That is just the truth.  Sorry.  Saint Teresa of Avila wrote more thoroughly and more eloquently on prayer than any other male or female saint.  Therefore Doctor of Prayer.  Not my opinion -- the Church's.  If the Church wanted to appease feminists she sure is doing an awful job of it.  What world have you been living in?

What an emotional rant! St. Teresa of Avila (16th century) "wrote more thoroughly and more eloquently on prayer than any other male or female saint" and yet we had to wait until Paul " I want to destroy the Church" VI came along to realise it!

St. Isadore of Seville, who died in 560, wasn't made a doctor of the Church until more than a millennium later, in 1722. It sometimes does take quite a long time for worthy saints to be made doctors of the Church.

Thanks
(08-22-2011, 01:54 AM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:53 AM)Gorgondie Wrote:

You're now qualified to determine that St. Therese had a greater understanding of holiness than did St. Augustine.

How laughable.

Your opinion, not the Church's.  By the way, Saint Monica likely has a higher place in heaven than her son.