The fascinating superstitions of Muhammad
(08-26-2011, 09:29 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: Have you ever attended a Malankarese Mass? I would assume that there are few parishes in America. I would like to attend a Syriac liturgy one day.

Anyway, good to have you on our side.

Actually I have not, even though my pastor was raised in the Syro-Malabar rite (which is somewhat different).  He was ordained for the Roman Rite, however.

If I remember, one of them is East Syriac and the other is West Syriac, and consequently one is more akin to the Chaldean Rite and the other more akin to Maronite?

Anyway, there are Malankarese and Malabarese communities in NYC but I have not been to their liturgies yet.  I think the Malankarese here are Orthodox and the Malabarese are Catholic, but in India I think you find Malankarese Catholics as well, and Malabarese Orthodox and independents and Anglican-aligned even (so -called "Jacobites") ...it's all pretty confusing to me!

My main concern is that they are heavily, heavily Latinized (in a bad Vatican-2-liberal-Latinization kind of way) and I really have no interest in seeing a Malabarese liturgy but ad populum with Gothic vestments and what not ... if there is somewhere where they do the real thing, I would love to know about it!
(08-21-2011, 01:01 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: not me. ive spent a fair amount of time with mohamadans. teaching the ISA some years ago. anyway not much to it. silly arab moon paganism wrapped around some nestorianism and blended with judiasm.
not very interesting for me really.
as for the stones. well remember toilet paper is a very new new thing int he grand scheme of things. in an enviroment such as arabia using water or a stick (just not the shitty end of the stick) wasnt much an option given how little water and trees are around. the  mohamadans have to whipe their ass with somethin.
stones and sand is what they have.
in the bush and up in the tundra i had to use what ever i could find. such is way of the frontier.
no biggy

I've had to use leaves before.  It's not as bad as people think, but does give one a new appreciation of toilet paper.  ;D
(09-11-2011, 10:37 AM)SpiderDweeb Wrote:
(08-21-2011, 01:01 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: not me. ive spent a fair amount of time with mohamadans. teaching the ISA some years ago. anyway not much to it. silly arab moon paganism wrapped around some nestorianism and blended with judiasm.
not very interesting for me really.
as for the stones. well remember toilet paper is a very new new thing int he grand scheme of things. in an enviroment such as arabia using water or a stick (just not the shitty end of the stick) wasnt much an option given how little water and trees are around. the  mohamadans have to whipe their ass with somethin.
stones and sand is what they have.
in the bush and up in the tundra i had to use what ever i could find. such is way of the frontier.
no biggy

I've had to use leaves before.  It's not as bad as people think, but does give one a new appreciation of toilet paper.   ;D

Just don't mistake poison ivy for a popular leaf.  :laughing:
Pope Clement V, Council of Vienne, 1311-1312:

“IT IS AN INSULT TO THE HOLY NAME AND A DISGRACE TO THE CHRISTIAN FAITH that in certain parts of the world subject to Christian princes where Saracens [i.e., the followers of Islam, also called Muslims] live, sometimes apart, sometimes intermingled with Christians, the Saracen priests, commonly called Zabazala, in their temples or mosques, in which the Saracens meet to adore THE INFIDEL MAHOMET, loudly invoke and extol his name each day at certain hours from a high place… THIS BRINGS DISREPUTE ON OUR FAITH AND GIVES GREAT SCANDAL TO THE FAITHFUL. THESE PRACTICES CANNOT BE TOLERATED WITHOUT DISPLEASING THE DIVINE MAJESTY. We therefore, with the sacred council’s approval, strictly forbid such practices henceforth in Christian lands. WE ENJOIN ON CATHOLIC PRINCES, ONE AND ALL…THEY ARE TO FORBID EXPRESSLY THE PUBLIC INVOCATION OF THE SACRILEGIOUS NAME OF MAHOMET… Those who presume to act otherwise are to be so chastised by the princes for their irreverence, that others may be deterred from such boldness.”

From Facebook TLM group.
(08-25-2011, 09:44 PM)Tarbox Wrote:
(08-20-2011, 06:18 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Curious facts about Islam:

Quote:- A child resembles whichever parent climaxed first (Bukhari 55:546)
- Satan causes yawning (Bukhari 73:245)
- Spoons should be covered before going to bed (Bukhari 69:527)
- Oversleeping is caused by Satan urinating in one’s ear (Bukhari 54:492)
- The bathroom should be entered with the left foot first. (Fiqh - Islamic law)
- Keeping a dog as a pet will cost the owner a celestial reward (Bukhari 67:389)
- A man should spit only to his left (Muslim 7149)
- The penis should be held with the left hand only when urinating (Muslim 512)
- A person should wipe their butt with an odd number of stones after defecating (Bukhari 4:162)
- Satan sleeps in one's nose, so water should be snorted each day (Bukhari 54:516)
- No one should lie on their back with one foot crossing the other.
- Bad dreams can be warded off by spitting over the left side of the bed (Bukhari 87:115)
- The right shoe should be put on before the left (Muslim 514)
- No one should enter the house through the back door (Qur'an 2:189)

Muhammad prescribed eating seven dates in the morning to ward off evil spells (Muslim 5081, Bukhari 65:356). Muhammad also told Muslims which way to face when they defecate (back towards Mecca, per Sahih Muslim 507) and which direction they should be buried (facing toward Mecca). 

Could you throw me a link to the source for this?

Good post, going to figure out how to put this to use by pointing out the irrationality of it while keeping atheist, anti-theist, and indifferentist types from making the obvious counter-argument that "all religion is irrational" or "saying Islam is false is intolerant".

You can find most of them by searching this online version of the Bukhari:

http://www.sahih-bukhari.com/

Just lick on the chapter on the left and scroll to the relevant verse.

Valz
(09-11-2011, 10:37 AM)SpiderDweeb Wrote: I've had to use leaves before.  It's not as bad as people think, but does give one a new appreciation of toilet paper.   ;D

Warning!  Beware of magnolia leaves!  My brother and I were hiking through the woods in east Texas many years ago with our younger cousin when he had to "answer the call."  Since the tops of magnolia leaves are really slick we, in our wisdom, told our cousin to wipe himself with the fuzzy underside of the leaves.  Must be some powerful irritant in that fuzz cuz the cuz howled about his flaming backside the rest of the day!
(10-26-2011, 12:08 AM)AdOrientem Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 10:37 AM)SpiderDweeb Wrote: I've had to use leaves before.  It's not as bad as people think, but does give one a new appreciation of toilet paper.   ;D

Warning!  Beware of magnolia leaves!  My brother and I were hiking through the woods in east Texas many years ago with our younger cousin when he had to "answer the call."  Since the tops of magnolia leaves are really slick we, in our wisdom, told our cousin to wipe himself with the fuzzy underside of the leaves.  Must be some powerful irritant in that fuzz cuz the cuz howled about his flaming backside the rest of the day!

See? You should've followed Mohammed's advice and opt for stones instead.

And Allah knows best!
(08-20-2011, 06:18 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Curious facts about Islam:

Quote:- A child resembles whichever parent climaxed first (Bukhari 55:546)
- Satan causes yawning (Bukhari 73:245)
- Spoons should be covered before going to bed (Bukhari 69:527)
- Oversleeping is caused by Satan urinating in one’s ear (Bukhari 54:492)
- The bathroom should be entered with the left foot first. (Fiqh - Islamic law)
- Keeping a dog as a pet will cost the owner a celestial reward (Bukhari 67:389)
- A man should spit only to his left (Muslim 7149)
- The penis should be held with the left hand only when urinating (Muslim 512)
- A person should wipe their butt with an odd number of stones after defecating (Bukhari 4:162)
- Satan sleeps in one's nose, so water should be snorted each day (Bukhari 54:516)
- No one should lie on their back with one foot crossing the other.
- Bad dreams can be warded off by spitting over the left side of the bed (Bukhari 87:115)
- The right shoe should be put on before the left (Muslim 514)
- No one should enter the house through the back door (Qur'an 2:189)

Muhammad prescribed eating seven dates in the morning to ward off evil spells (Muslim 5081, Bukhari 65:356). Muhammad also told Muslims which way to face when they defecate (back towards Mecca, per Sahih Muslim 507) and which direction they should be buried (facing toward Mecca). 

Many of those quotes are taken from the hadith(that is to say the oral traditions of what the Prophet said), considering their extremely late date of composition it is extremely hard to know whether or not they are the actual sayings of Muhammad, so it might be more fair to say it is of the religion of the Muslims, but not neccesarily of Muhammad. It is not really fair to a religion to quote strange sounding phrases out of context, there are plenty of those verses in the Old and New testament for example:

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Pslam137:9

Does this mean that the Church condones killing the kids of the descendents of the enemies of the Jews
I think not.

"And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell"

Matthew 18:9

Yet the Church condemns self mutilation as a sin.

(10-26-2011, 09:53 PM)sheep101 Wrote: Many of those quotes are taken from the hadith(that is to say the oral traditions of what the Prophet said), considering their extremely late date of composition it is extremely hard to know whether or not they are the actual sayings of Muhammad, so it might be more fair to say it is of the religion of the Muslims, but not neccesarily of Muhammad.

The Hadiths are considered canonical wiritings by both Sunni and Shia Muslims. They're authoritative sayings that found their way into Shariah law and constitute thebulk of Islamic jurisprudence (fiqh).

Whether or not Muhammad actually said and did those things is irrelevant since all Muslims believe and claim he did so and take it as divinely inspired. There's no actual dispute over it at all.

Quote:It is not really fair to a religion to quote strange sounding phrases out of context, there are plenty of those verses in the Old and New testament for example

Your attempt to be "fair" misses the point.

Those things are not taken "out of context," as if there were no laws and practical applications drawn from it in Islamic teaching. There are. You can check the sources yourself or consult an Imam over these sayings and teachings and he'll confirm it to you.

That is, if he doesn't plainly lie to your infidel face using the well established islamic principle of taqiyya.
(10-26-2011, 11:22 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(10-26-2011, 12:08 AM)AdOrientem Wrote:

See? You should've followed Mohammed's advice and opt for stones instead.

And Allah knows best! 

This thread is a trip!    :LOL: