SSPX and Dress Attire
So one of the things keeping me from attending an SSPX mass is the whole dress attire requirement. I really don't no.d really a shirt and tie, but I really do not find it necessary while attending mass, especially during the summer. I hate the way short sleeve button downs looked tucked in, forget about pairing it with a tie. And it doesn't seem to stop at the shirt and tie, they want a dress jacket as well. I would never go there in a pair of shorts or sports jersey, but I think that a nice pair of slacks and short sleeve button down would be quite nice. I don't even see anything wrong with a black v-neck tee and slacks.

Opinions?
If the chapel has a dress code you should follow it. 
(08-22-2011, 02:05 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: I don't even see anything wrong with a black v-neck tee and slacks.

Opinions?

You're wrong about this point at least.  Sticking tongue out at you
(08-22-2011, 02:05 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: So one of the things keeping me from attending an SSPX mass is the whole dress attire requirement. I really don't no.d really a shirt and tie, but I really do not find it necessary while attending mass, especially during the summer. I hate the way short sleeve button downs looked tucked in, forget about pairing it with a tie. And it doesn't seem to stop at the shirt and tie, they want a dress jacket as well. I would never go there in a pair of shorts or sports jersey, but I think that a nice pair of slacks and short sleeve button down would be quite nice. I don't even see anything wrong with a black v-neck tee and slacks.

Opinions?
If you were invited to meet the pope at a private audience. Would you go in  V-neck and slacks?
Now imagine going to see and receive the King of Kings. Still a V-neck and slacks?
I didn't think so either.
Dressing up is the least we can do.
Nothing bad about a pair of skinny slacks and a black v neck! Doesn't look trashy at all. I refuse to wear a suit to church. I hate suits. They are ugly. Only suits I wear are of the late Victorian period and I don't have enough money to buy a new 1890s suit for every Sunday to come.
(08-22-2011, 02:28 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: Nothing bad about a pair of skinny slacks and a black v neck! Doesn't look trashy at all. I refuse to wear a suit to church. I hate suits. They are ugly. Only suits I wear are of the late Victorian period and I don't have enough money to buy a new 1890s suit for every Sunday to come.

I can sympathize on not having what might be considered "proper" attire for mass.  I'm poor as dirt... I've been wearing the same pair of kahkis, a button down shirt (alternating every couple weeks) and tennis shoes for the last few months.  Cuz I simply can't afford clothes.  Sometimes I get bothered by it but I know that I'm not being obstinate, I just don't have money.

But what you're talking about is a personal preference.  Mass isn't for you to be comfortable, it's to pay homage to the creator of the Universe, a perfect Being.

If you have the ability/can afford to look really nice, you should.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
For me nothing looks worse than a suit...they look so big and are not flattering at all. Makes me think of Ron Burgundy or some kid wearing his dads suit to work at Nordstroms whenever I see someone at mass in a suit. I do love a fitted dress shirt, tie and vest in a sort of old west fit but that stuff is so expensive. I feel like I dress nice and would never wear a normal t shirt to mass but I just will not wear a modern suit as long as I live.

Just go to mass.  Don't look for excuses not to go. 
(08-22-2011, 02:43 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: For me nothing looks worse than a suit...they look so big and are not flattering at all. Makes me think of Ron Burgundy or some kid wearing his dads suit to work at Nordstroms whenever I see someone at mass in a suit. I do love a fitted dress shirt, tie and vest in a sort of old west fit but that stuff is so expensive. I feel like I dress nice and would never wear a normal t shirt to mass but I just will not wear a modern suit as long as I live.

Fashion is certainly a bit arbitrary but surely you can understand that a suit and tie are culturally considered formal dresswear and what one wears when one dresses up.  There's a level of objectivity in that.  You dress up for the King of Kings.  He deserves that much.

If you can, there's no excuse not to.  Mass is not about you or how what you're wearing makes you feel.  
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
I do attend the EF regularly but have never been to an SSPX mass. I've seen them on YouTube and am very much in awe of the reverency of the mass. Like I said, the dress code scares me away. I don't want to get sneers and stares.