SSPX and Dress Attire
Here's the thing, suits are hideous and expensive. I can't afford to spend money on something that'll just hang in my closet gathering dust. Plus, the heat out here in CA can get awful, especially in a chapel without AC or fans. A dress jacket is excessive in terms of heat and is just plain ugly. I'd rather wear a cardigan in place of one
I usually just wear jeans, skate shoes and a shirt (with a jacket or hoodie) to Mass, even at the SSPX chapel near my house. I really don't like dressing up. At my diocesan EF community, casual clothes are fairly common, but at the SSPX I always notice that I'm under-dressed. Then again, at the diocesan EF, most of the young men attend on their own, without their families, whilst all the suit-wearing younger guys at the SSPX chapel are always with their parents. If I went to my normal parish, the diocesan EF, in a suit it'd be a bit weird. And I just think its much more important to have the right interior disposition when attending Mass and receiving communion than to spend money on something fancy to wear, or go to hassle about purely external (and therefore superficial) things. Maybe it's an Aussie thing. We're fairly relaxed about clothes here. I've never felt any pressure to dress-up for Mass.

Despite wearing relatively casual clothes to an SSPX Mass, I've never once received comments, stares, or sneers because of it.

That said, I actually did enjoy dressing-up in a suit and black tie for Mass a few weeks ago. :p
(08-22-2011, 02:55 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: Here's the thing, suits are hideous and expensive. I can't afford to spend money on something that'll just hang in my closet gathering dust. Plus, the heat out here in CA can get awful, especially in a chapel without AC or fans. A dress jacket is excessive in terms of heat and is just plain ugly. I'd rather wear a cardigan in place of one

1. The tune you've been whistling isn't one of not being able to afford a suit, but one of not wanting to wear a suit.

2. Again, you ought to dress up for mass.  It is skewed to think of it so pessimistically as something that will gather dust.  Brush the damn thing off.

3. Suck up the heat.  Things could be worse.  You could be nailed to a cross.

If you really can't afford it then cool.  But I think you should really examine and see if that's the case.  

But if you have a TLM in the area you can attend without going to the sspx what's the big deal?  please tell me you're not skipping mass because you dont' want to wear a suit...
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(08-22-2011, 02:33 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:   I'm poor as dirt... I've been wearing the same pair of kahkis, a button down shirt (alternating every couple weeks) and tennis shoes for the last few months.  Cuz I simply can't afford clothes.  Sometimes I get bothered by it but I know that I'm not being obstinate, I just don't have money.

Clothes don't have to expensive and that includes jackets and ties. You would be surprised what you can find at thrift stores were clothes are not expensive and there are hidden gems. I have gotten good ties even at rummage and garage sales for quarters and dollars.
SSPX dress code is basically a very general outline.  I'm sure you can see if your chapel even has a dress code, and then follow it as you see fit.  I personally find that a suit is the most formal thing I have (minus my tux and tails etc) that is Mass appropriate, so that's what I wear.  No, it's not particularly comfortable, particularly in the Phoenix summers, and on processions, but it's not about me, it's about something I want to do for God.  I have always worn suits to job interviews and to symphony concerts, why would I give God less?

The way you talk about suits makes it sound like you've never had one that fits properly.  On the other hand...coat and tie aren't mandatory.
(08-22-2011, 03:24 AM)SaintRafael Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:33 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:   I'm poor as dirt... I've been wearing the same pair of kahkis, a button down shirt (alternating every couple weeks) and tennis shoes for the last few months.  Cuz I simply can't afford clothes.  Sometimes I get bothered by it but I know that I'm not being obstinate, I just don't have money.

Clothes don't have to expensive and that includes jackets and ties. You would be surprised what you can find at thrift stores were clothes are not expensive and there are hidden gems. I have gotten good ties even at rummage and garage sales for quarters and dollars.

Good point.  Find a good thrift store in more of an uppity area and there are lots of great things in great condition.  Yesterday we saw a Goodwill that we had never seen before and stopped in, and I got brand new looking shoes for my 5 and 3 year old boys for notalotta...
I'm not taking a crack at the op, but just popping into say I think men at holy Mass in suits look great. They dress like they really care. But just wear your very best, like Mith said.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(08-22-2011, 02:59 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:55 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: Here's the thing, suits are hideous and expensive. I can't afford to spend money on something that'll just hang in my closet gathering dust. Plus, the heat out here in CA can get awful, especially in a chapel without AC or fans. A dress jacket is excessive in terms of heat and is just plain ugly. I'd rather wear a cardigan in place of one

1. The tune you've been whistling isn't one of not being able to afford a suit, but one of not wanting to wear a suit.

2. Again, you ought to dress up for mass.  It is skewed to think of it so pessimistically as something that will gather dust.  Brush the damn thing off.

3. Suck up the heat.  Things could be worse.  You could be nailed to a cross.

If you really can't afford it then cool.  But I think you should really examine and see if that's the case.

But if you have a TLM in the area you can attend without going to the sspx what's the big deal?  please tell me you're not skipping mass because you dont' want to wear a suit...
THIS
(08-22-2011, 02:05 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: So one of the things keeping me from attending an SSPX mass is the whole dress attire requirement. I really don't no.d really a shirt and tie, but I really do not find it necessary while attending mass, especially during the summer. I hate the way short sleeve button downs looked tucked in, forget about pairing it with a tie. And it doesn't seem to stop at the shirt and tie, they want a dress jacket as well. I would never go there in a pair of shorts or sports jersey, but I think that a nice pair of slacks and short sleeve button down would be quite nice. I don't even see anything wrong with a black v-neck tee and slacks.

Opinions?

ummm...I attend nothing but SSPX Masses...I wear either khakis and a sort of dress shirt (almost always somthing that would be considered metro...not solid white or anything...done stipes and paislies and stuff) or polo

or Jeans and a dress shirt or polo....you won't catch me in a tie...maybe for a funeral or wedding
Be a rebel, wear jeans 8).