SSPX and Dress Attire
(08-22-2011, 02:05 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: So one of the things keeping me from attending an SSPX mass is the whole dress attire requirement. I really don't no.d really a shirt and tie, but I really do not find it necessary while attending mass, especially during the summer. I hate the way short sleeve button downs looked tucked in, forget about pairing it with a tie. And it doesn't seem to stop at the shirt and tie, they want a dress jacket as well. I would never go there in a pair of shorts or sports jersey, but I think that a nice pair of slacks and short sleeve button down would be quite nice. I don't even see anything wrong with a black v-neck tee and slacks.

Opinions?

If the SSPX were balanced about everything else I'd personally wear whatever they wanted me to wear.  It is only mass after all and only once a week.  Why not dress up?  But the dress code is a symptom of some underlying issues with CERTAIN SSPX priests in certain countries.  It isn't universal, but it is easily to stumble upon in the English speaking countries of this world.

If you have a better option for Mass then don't go to the SSPX.  If you don't then you'd be a fool to not dress in a suit, shirt and tie in order to get to a closer, better Mass.

If you believed the priest was a saint like Padre Pio and you found that going along to his masses and hearing his homilies really helped you improve your spiritual life, would you wear what he told you to wear or still say you "don't do" shirt and ties?

If I got you a $200k per year, plus bonus, job at a Wall Street bank, would you wear a shirt and tie to the interview?

I don't object at all to a dress code.  I object to the SSPX making such a big deal out of it and using it to test people's loyalty to their commands.  Which is often how it is used when I've seen it applied with a heavy hand.  It becomes a visible sign of your compliance.
wait...........i go to an SSPX chapel and nobody has to dress formally.

The only dress code is modest dress for both men and women. Shirts and jeans are ok even on a sunday, in that no one will throw you out or snigger at you.

So many men here wear long-sleeved shirts with jeans here on sundays, even the third order people.
I usually wear a Button down shirt and black pants or brown khakis when I attend the TLM.....No ties!

The SSPV priests may deny you communion if you don't have a tie on, but they won't kick you out...Don't sweat it!
You should not scandalize your neighbor into sin but to me the perfection of Christian dress does not lie in suits but in wearing clothes with these aspects
1) Modesty
2) Simplicity
3) Evidence of Poverty (for all people)
4) Devotion

Why not just ask the priest if what you are wearing is fine?  If he flies into a foaming at the mouth rage maybe he is not the type of shepherd you want to be following. 

I've never had a problem with saying the suit is an ideal, especially since I grew up in that segment of Protestantism where pretty much everyone, rich or poor, wore suits and the cool black guys wore bold-colored versions. But as a minimum standard it would be arbitrary and anti-Christian.

Actually, even as an ideal, the suit technically falls short because ordinary sack suits fall only in the middle range of formal 20th/21st century fashions. Above that you have morning dress, and then court dress if you're feeling a tad anachronistic.
(08-22-2011, 08:06 AM)City Smurf Wrote: Be a rebel, wear jeans 8).

Aye!
(08-22-2011, 10:12 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I've never had a problem with saying the suit is an ideal, especially since I grew up in that segment of Protestantism where pretty much everyone, rich or poor, wore suits and the cool black guys wore bold-colored versions. But as a minimum standard it would be arbitrary and anti-Christian.

Actually, even as an ideal, the suit technically falls short because ordinary sack suits fall only in the middle range of formal 20th/21st century fashions. Above that you have morning dress, and then court dress if you're feeling a tad anachronistic.
The suit coat is not protestant. It's an evolution of the same coat that gave us the cassock.  It would get too hot, people would unbutton a few buttons and flip the collar and upper area back. Try it. Flip the lapel of your suitcoat up. Instant Roman collar.
(08-22-2011, 10:38 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: The suit coat is not protestant. It's an evolution of the same coat that gave us the cassock.  It would get too hot, people would unbutton a few buttons and flip the collar and upper area back. Try it. Flip the lapel of your suitcoat up. Instant Roman collar.

I didn't say suit coats were Protestant.

However, the Roman collar actually was invented by Anglican clergy in the Victorian period and adopted by Roman clergy afterward. No joke.
Try this attire. I am curious to see how it would be received at a SSPX parish.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAIwJla9p2S6pSZBnO61-...zqsxVKYdtL]
(08-22-2011, 12:41 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Try this attire. I am curious to see how it would be received at a SSPX parish.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAIwJla9p2S6pSZBnO61-...zqsxVKYdtL]

LOLOL LOL ROFL