SSPX and Dress Attire
(08-22-2011, 12:41 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Try this attire. I am curious to see how it would be received at a SSPX parish.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAIwJla9p2S6pSZBnO61-...zqsxVKYdtL]

If I were a priest, I'd deny you Communion on grounds of not wearing hose!
At the TLMs around here, including SSPX, the majority of men do not wear suits. They just wear nice pants and a dress shirt, or sometimes polos if it's hot.
(08-22-2011, 01:29 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote: At the TLMs around here, including SSPX, the majority of men do not wear suits. They just wear nice pants and a dress shirt, or sometimes polos if it's hot.

Kinda like what you wear?
During the summer I wear a good pair of slacks and a button down short sleeve shirt. In the cooler winter I wear a shirt and a tie with a jacket. There is no way I would wear a shirt and a tie and a jacket during the summer. Not unless the church wants to put in AC. As it is with the short sleeve dress shirt sweat just pours off me like I had just got out of a pool.

The argument about going to meet the President or some dignitary doesn't wash because most of the time when you meet some dignitary you either can dress casual or they have AC.

I'm also getting more of a "I don't wanna" vibe instead of "I'm broke."  So, a few points, working off that starting place.

1) Something you wear once a week is not something that's hanging in the closet gathering dust -- it's something you wear once a week.  If you owned a bicycle and you rode it only on Saturday, but every Saturday you took it out for a spin with some friends, I doubt you would say "oh, it just takes up space in my garage, collecting dust." 

2) A suit is something every man should own, because there are occasions that call for it.  Mass, funerals, job interviews, weddings, and certain social occasions.  And hey, you're a man -- one suit would do for all of those occasions.  A woman would need at least 2-3 outfits to cover all of those.  It is always better to be over dressed than under dressed, especially if you end up interviewing for a job in the future.

3) At the SSPX chapel in California where I have assisted at Mass (Arcadia), it is both air conditioned (overly so, even in winter) and full of men in suit jackets.  There were some men in just a button up, but not many.  I know you said you haven't been to SSPX Mass, so are you sure your chapel will be hot?  Most churches in this state have AC and crank it up -- I've always guessed that it's to encourage modesty.  *shrug*
I once heard a story that some punk rock kid with green hair once showed up at a TLM in some silly black outfit.  She came alone on her own accord.  People stared, but no one said anything to her about her appearance.  She then began coming to mass every week.  Eventually she dyed her hair back to her original color.  Then she started veiling. And finally she started wearing dresses. 

So don't worry about your dress. As your heart is transformed by the mass so will your appearance! 
The men in my family all wear suits to mass on Sunday. In California.
(08-22-2011, 02:49 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: The men in my family all wear suits to mass on Sunday. In California.

In an air conditioned Church no doubt. It's a lot better going to Mass in a suite minus the tie and jacket then it is dressing up in a tie and jacket and ending up in an ambulance when you pass out from heat stroke. And yes, this has happened a lot in Church's I have been to.

(08-22-2011, 01:34 PM)Heinrich Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 01:29 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote: At the TLMs around here, including SSPX, the majority of men do not wear suits. They just wear nice pants and a dress shirt, or sometimes polos if it's hot.

Kinda like what you wear?

LOL LOL LOL

I'm not the lady-polo wearing type.
(08-22-2011, 02:07 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I once heard a story that some punk rock kid with green hair once showed up at a TLM in some silly black outfit.  She came alone on her own accord.  People stared, but no one said anything to her about her appearance.  She then began coming to mass every week.  Eventually she dyed her hair back to her original color.  Then she started veiling. And finally she started wearing dresses. 

Too bad. I like green hair.