SSPX and Dress Attire
Your comfort and your approval of a certain style is not relevant.  If you have the means to dress in accordance with the dress code then you need to.  Submitting to legitimate authority in the Church is vicariously submitting to God.

Is not the cilice uncomfortable?

Offer up your discomfort to the Blessed Mother as retribution for the sins committed against her Immaculate Heart. This should be very pleasing to God. Just a thought...
(08-22-2011, 01:29 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote: At the TLMs around here, including SSPX, the majority of men do not wear suits. They just wear nice pants and a dress shirt, or sometimes polos if it's hot.

I find nothing wrong with this. That's the normal attire at our Mass too.

Morgan,

I know next to nothing about SSPX, but I think the heart of the matter is to strive to give Our Lord our best at Holy Mass, first with our interior disposition, and secondly with our exterior appearance, and that means dressing more nicely for Mass than we do in ordinary life.

If wearing a suit makes you so uncomfortable now, I recommend starting small and working up. Try to think more objectively about your attire, aiming for more formality, not necessarily fashion or tastes, which you may or not not like.

Btw, I couldn't agree more that short-sleeved oxford shirts look silly, have you tried rolling up the sleeves on the normal kind? For some reason, I find it looks much better.
(08-22-2011, 03:34 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:07 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I once heard a story that some punk rock kid with green hair once showed up at a TLM in some silly black outfit.  She came alone on her own accord.  People stared, but no one said anything to her about her appearance.  She then began coming to mass every week.  Eventually she dyed her hair back to her original color.  Then she started veiling. And finally she started wearing dresses. 

Too bad. I like green hair.

But, best women veil their green hair, right :p? 
(08-22-2011, 03:55 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: But, best women veil their green hair, right :p? 

Yeah.

To the original poster, I agree that a lot of men wear suits which are ill-fitting. But if you're thin and lanky, you can make a slim suit look good. Being Asian also helps.

[Image: en-s-suit-suit-fashion-business-Black-Sl...pants-.jpg]
(08-22-2011, 02:55 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: Here's the thing, suits are hideous and expensive. I can't afford to spend money on something that'll just hang in my closet gathering dust. Plus, the heat out here in CA can get awful, especially in a chapel without AC or fans. A dress jacket is excessive in terms of heat and is just plain ugly. I'd rather wear a cardigan in place of one

Every man needs at least one good suit -- either grey or blue.  Unless you're so poor you can't eat, you must have at least one suit.  What if a family member gets married or you must attend a funeral?  Don't be a tool and wear a flannel shirt to your great-aunt's funeral -- no class.  Oh and I got married in a church without AC in Los Angeles in late June so I known what it's like.  (TLM by the way, very beautiful.)  Man Up.  Try to show some respect for Sunday Mass.  Weekdays and maybe days when it's really hot go with business casual.

Time to grow up.  Be a man.  Stop bitching.
(08-22-2011, 02:59 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:49 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: The men in my family all wear suits to mass on Sunday. In California.

In an air conditioned Church no doubt.

Nope.
(08-22-2011, 05:03 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:59 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:49 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: The men in my family all wear suits to mass on Sunday. In California.

In an air conditioned Church no doubt.

Nope.

But California doesn't get humid...
Ok, I refuse to believe that the lord wants me to wear a suit...let us not forget about the woes of the pharisees. I would never wear a Bauhaus (a band) shirt to mass, or a pair of gym shorts/running shoes. I was deeply offended when I made my confirmation and this guy assisting the bishop wore a carhart jacket, flannel, blue jeans and construction boots. Why couldn't he at least wore a pair of black jeans and a polo?

As for the bike, I use mine often. Doesn't collect dust. Saves money on gas and is great cardio.

And I still don't like modern suits!
(08-22-2011, 04:16 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote:
(08-22-2011, 02:55 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: Here's the thing, suits are hideous and expensive. I can't afford to spend money on something that'll just hang in my closet gathering dust. Plus, the heat out here in CA can get awful, especially in a chapel without AC or fans. A dress jacket is excessive in terms of heat and is just plain ugly. I'd rather wear a cardigan in place of one

Every man needs at least one good suit -- either grey or blue.  Unless you're so poor you can't eat, you must have at least one suit.  What if a family member gets married or you must attend a funeral?  Don't be a tool and wear a flannel shirt to your great-aunt's funeral -- no class.  Oh and I got married in a church without AC in Los Angeles in late June so I known what it's like.  (TLM by the way, very beautiful.)  Man Up.  Try to show some respect for Sunday Mass.  Weekdays and maybe days when it's really hot go with business casual.

Time to grow up.  Be a man.  Stop bitching.

Well, that's great...the heat affects everyone different. If you are in CA you are used to it. My cousin from CA came to visit me in MA once and it was a nice 70 degree day. He had a winter coat on because he was freezing. When I went to visit him in CA my aunt thought there was something wrong with me because I wanted to stay in the air conditioned house all day and damn near died going outside in the 120 degree heat.

I don't advocate wearing shorts and a t-shirt to Mass...but there is nothing wrong with a dress shirt and slacks...or even a polo shirt and a jacket. Even when I wear my "business casual" dress to Mass I am still dripping wet with sweat so bad that you can wipe off the water from the chairs around me and see puddles on the floor...and no, I am not exaggerating either.