Lay woman named to lead parish with 3 priests on staff
There is absolutely no provision in Can Law for this bullshit! I would suggest that His Excellency read Book II, Pat II, Section II, Title III, Chapter VI of the CIC, 1983, Canons 515-552.
"continuing to mature and evolve since Vatican II"

Well, there are your code words for "we're making this s**t up as we go".
(08-22-2011, 08:06 PM)Landelinus Wrote: Ugh.  This is unfortunately my Diocese.  Bp McGrath has been relatively accommodating with our TLM oratory, but on the flipside he allows rubbish like this. It makes me ill.

Accommodating, ah, well, sort of. What about what happened at Five Wounds Church? A solid Traditional Latin Mass community was dissolved because some people in the parish complained about it to the Diocese. The Pastor, Fr. Morgan, wanted the TLM to stay, the Diocese didn't back him up. I'd say more like barely tolerating the TLM, letting them use a church way too small for their growing needs, and promoting this other sort of agenda instead.
"So shines a good deed in a weary world."   - Willy Wonka

For modern-day stories of Saint Anthony's help in people's lives:  saintanthonylostandfound.blogspot.com
I am really glad they are Catholic in the proper sense.  Crazy
First of all:  :o :o :o

Second:  If she can't administer any sacraments, can't read the gospel, can't preach a homily, what then exactly does it mean that she is going to lead the parish?  Is she basically going to be some kind of puppet master, telling the priests and the laity what direction she'd like to see the parish moving in?  Sounds like one of those parishes with an out of control, bullying, pastoral council, except this is one really powerful lay person calling the shots.  >sad

Also, what's with the "business manager" title I see at some parishes? Is this basically a glorified church secretary?
(08-23-2011, 01:25 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: First of all:  :o :o :o

Second:  If she can't administer any sacraments, can't read the gospel, can't preach a homily, what then exactly does it mean that she is going to lead the parish?  Is she basically going to be some kind of puppet master, telling the priests and the laity what direction she'd like to see the parish moving in?  Sounds like one of those parishes with an out of control, bullying, pastoral council, except this is one really powerful lay person calling the shots.  >sad

Also, what's with the "business manager" title I see at some parishes? Is this basically a glorified church secretary?

She's going to handle the administrative tasks. "Business manager" used to be a glorified church secretary but most need a degree these days.

This isn't directed to you, iona_scribe, but just speaking generally. I read the title of the thread and got upset too, but it's still distressing to see the constant disdain for women around here.. as if anything and everything is going to somehow lead to women priests. This doesn't just happen now and then.. It's constant. It's misogyny. If anyone can come up with a better word, please let me know.. because right now another word fails me.
(08-23-2011, 01:25 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: Also, what's with the "business manager" title I see at some parishes? Is this basically a glorified church secretary?

I believe moneil here on FE is a parish business manager. They take care of the church's property and finances, make sure the electricity's running, and perhaps buy chalices and vestments and related items. It's good to have a business manager who isn't a priest. My Anglican Use parish's business manager is an unmarried permanent deacon.
(08-23-2011, 01:56 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 01:25 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: Also, what's with the "business manager" title I see at some parishes? Is this basically a glorified church secretary?

I believe moneil here on FE is a parish business manager. They take care of the church's property and finances, make sure the electricity's running, and perhaps buy chalices and vestments and related items. It's good to have a business manager who isn't a priest. My Anglican Use parish's business manager is an unmarried permanent deacon.

Yes, and at our parish this business manager is a layman, and a volunteer. He takes care of all of the above, church property and finances, maintenance etc, except for the buying of chalices and vestments, etc. Our priest and deacons do that.
(08-23-2011, 01:51 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 01:25 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: First of all:  :o :o :o

She's going to handle the administrative tasks. "Business manager" used to be a glorified church secretary but most need a degree these days.

This isn't directed to you, iona_scribe, but just speaking generally. I read the title of the thread and got upset too, but it's still distressing to see the constant disdain for women around here.. as if anything and everything is going to somehow lead to women priests. This doesn't just happen now and then.. It's constant. It's misogyny. If anyone can come up with a better word, please let me know.. because right now another word fails me.

Oh, it would bother me just as much if they had announced that a lay man was going to somehow be in charge of a parish, bossing around the ordained.  LOL
I thought primarily of stories of good priests who get to a new parish, and the previously established pastoral council refuses to cooperate with what the priest wants because they are entrenched in "the spirit of VII".

Ah, thanks for the clarification on business manager.  It is good to have a properly trained lay person paying the bills and doing other things so that the priest can be free to do priestly and pastoral things.  The title made me scratch my head though...it makes it sound like "person who runs every aspect of the church apart from the sacraments"  or that the church is somehow a business.  LOL Maybe facilities manager would be better.
(08-23-2011, 02:36 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: Oh, it would bother me just as much if they had announced that a lay man was going to somehow be in charge of a parish, bossing around the ordained.   LOL

This! As I pointed out there is no Canonical provision for such shenanigans, whether the 'administrator' is male or female.