Dating: who?
A little background: I'm a long-time lurker, brief one time former poster. Male, almost 30, went to Catholic school most of my life and consequently received very little worthwhile catechesis, fell away from the Church for years and came back with a vengeance. I'm currently a member of the most conservative NO church in my city but have been attending the local FSSP TLM (ten minutes down the road) most weeks.

Most of my friends and acquaintances are married. I am single and it weighs heavily on me - concupiscence and all the related habits aside, I need human companionship...enough that it's my primary focus at this point in my life. I've dated around plenty, had plenty of girlfriends, but nothing ever came of it. I'm definitely in the market for marriage.

Non-hypothetical scenario: all other things being equal, is it better to date someone who is "formally Catholic" but dissents on dogma (birth control, female ordination, etc.) or someone who is Protestant but seems traditionally minded (at least not opposed to Catholic teaching, is chaste, etc.)? And don't say "find a trad girl." As far as I can tell, all the single ones are 12 or 70. (And I've been lurking here long enough to assume dk and scipio will say "date the hot one," HK will say to go for the older or richer one, etc.)
Are there any older age Catholic singles groups in your diocese? (They may very well be mostly young widows, IDK if you’d be opposed to that). I can’t say which would be better. Thinkin’ its a case by case (woman by woman) basis.
We have a Theology on Tap group. I went to one event. It felt...weird, but I've considered dropping back in.
Don't rush to find anyone, if God wills that you find someone, He will put her in your path.

Try and stay chaste and frequent the sacraments, stay close to Our Lady and read as much traditional stuff as you can to help you out. As for what type of girl, even if she is Protestant, or non-practicing anything heathen, if she is chaste and willing to convert or at the very least agrees to raise the children Catholic and be married in a Catholic church then go for it I say. Otherwise I'd try to make some male Catholic friends as best you can and see if they know any women then try and hang out.

Just be careful, keep pure thoughts Big Grin

I would go to the TLM every Sunday if it was 10 minutes away!!!
(08-23-2011, 10:09 PM)Meh Wrote: someone who is "formally Catholic" but dissents on dogma (birth control, female ordination, etc.)

Some, probably most, people dissent on these things out of ignorance. If this Catholic girl is naturally pious and rational, she should come 'round and accept the Church's teaching eventually.

But, what do you mean by "date"? Obviously you can befriend all sorts. Don't bother entering a formal relationship with a Protestant or a non-practicing Catholic, neither of whom you will want as a wife, though.
daaaamn son.  I wouldn't go with either.  If that's the ultimatum you've given yourself, you should probably wait or pray some more.

I know I wasn't supposed to say that but I'm gonna!!

I will pray for you.

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Don't go looking! Leave it in God's hands and He'll send you the right one.
To reiterate what I was saying, in the end, at least in my opinion, she should be only willing to go to the TLM and want traditional values, if you need to give her time to educate her in those ways then by all means that's great, but if she has any dissenting opinion about the infallible declarations of the church or loves novelty then I would say drop her like a sack of bricks.
(08-23-2011, 10:27 PM)Atomagenesis Wrote: To reiterate what I was saying, in the end, at least in my opinion, she should be only willing to go to the TLM and want traditional values, if you need to give her time to educate her in those ways then by all means that's great, but if she has any dissenting opinion about the infallible declarations of the church or loves novelty then I would say drop her like a sack of bricks.

Preferably over the edge of a building.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
At least have the courtesy to make it a clean round-house kick Smile

edit: *note I don't condone beating women Big Grin