Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate
From La Stampa

Quote:Bishop Bernard Fellay, Superior General of the Society of St. Pius X, founded by Archbishop Lefebvre, has been summoned to the Vatican next 14 September. It is the first summit after the doctrinal talks last year in Rome, where there were clashes between  the Holy See and Lefebvrian delegations.

As readers will recall, since 2009 the Commission Ecclesia Dei, which deals with the Society of St. Pius X, has been incorporated in the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and it has been entrusted to the leadership of Monsignor Guido Pozzo.

The doctrinal discussions, which addressed all of the nodes considered problematic by Lefebvre, who believes that, in some places, the Second Vatican Council represents a break with the tradition of the Church, have been concluded in recent months.

Now the Vatican should subject to Fellay some memoranda of understanding, clarifying doctrinal points, as for the Council, on the interpretation of the continuity in the reform suggested since December 2005 by Pope Benedict XVI as the more authentic interpretation of the texts of Vatican II.

A proposal for a canonical adjustment will be submitted to the Society only if doctrinal difficulties are overcome, and that will resolve the current situation, in which the Lefebvrist community finds itself now.

Although the Pope, in a gesture of goodwill, nullified the excommunication of the four bishops ordained by Archbishop Lefebvre in January 2009, bishops and priests of St. Pius X still live in a state of canonical irregularity.

The proposal which has been studied by the Vatican, would allow Lefebvrists the establishment of an ordinariate similar to that offered by the Pope has to Anglicans who wanted to come into communion with the Roman Catholic Church. In this way, the Fraternity would depend on the Holy See (and specifically on the Ecclesia Dei Commission) and could retain its characteristics without having to answer to the diocesan bishops.

The meeting of 14 September, that Vatican Insider is able to confirm, therefore, represents a new step in the journey of these troubled years. But it is premature to provide conclusions: in fact, it is known that within the SSPX there coexist different sensitivities and some consider difficult to reach an agreement.

It should be noted that Pope Ratzinger, who wanted to close the Lefebvre mini-schism, has already completed two very significant steps in the direction requested by the Fraternity: he has liberalized the old pre-Conciliar Missal and has lifted the excommunications in force since 1988.

Source: http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/hom...llay-7423/
Don't these rumours pop up every other month?

I'll leave it in the hands of Rome.
(08-23-2011, 11:30 PM)City Smurf Wrote: Don't these rumours pop up every other month?

I'll leave it in the hands of Rome.

This is looking like more than a rumor. Several other newspapers are reporting the same.  Also, the Vatican just allowed a nun to be transferred into a SSPX convent. 
The FSSP would be better off to break with Rome and negotiate a better deal like the SSPX is getting, like getting some Trad Bishops  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
It's all just talk right now.

When will the Pope acknowledge the modernist errors of Vatican II? Will I live to see the day? That's what I'm really interested in.

Pktp, the poster at rorate caeli who is well respected, commented on this exact idea a day or so ago.
(08-23-2011, 11:44 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: It's all just talk right now.

When will the Pope acknowledge the modernist errors of Vatican II? Will I live to see the day? That's what I'm really interested in.

Vetus, bc I respect your opinion and want your outlook, do you think the SSPX operates better now and can achieve more in the current state/arrangement things are in?  Or could they better serve under how the rumors say could be offered to them.

I don't know either way.  I admit my bias towards having them accept, and then them denouncing fully the evils of bishops and clergymen in the Vatican and being able to not have schismatic, etc thrown at them.

I however am not terribly intimate with them, but do support them and their position.

Thoughts?    Do you trust bp. Fellay to make the right choice? 
I wouldn't get your hopes up. The article clearly states that the ordinate would be proposed only after resolution of the doctrinal questions, which is the same line the Society has held to. It will be a true miracle if a doctrinal clarification that satisfies the Society comes from Rome. The other option is unilateral regularization, but with that Rome would have to eat some crow. They would have to announce after the doctrinal talks they found the Society's positions to be acceptible within a range of possible interepretations of Vatican II, a more or less direct refutation of John Paul II's determination in Ecclesia Dei. Pray God willing it happens, unilaterally would probably be the only way at this point.
I wonder how it would work if the SSPX were made into an ordinariate while their former spin offs in the FSSP are still a part of the Ecclesia Dei tent.
(08-23-2011, 11:44 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: It's all just talk right now.

Not going to happen. Despite all its flaws, the papacy never renounced the (validly held) sessions of the ecumenical Council of Constance.