Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate
From Father Z:

Quote:I am a little more sanguine about these talks than Mr. Allen seems to be.

Surely the time for these talks and then some concrete action on both sides is now, while Benedict XVI is Pope.

From the CDF’s side, as I have argued before, if the followers of Fr. Feeney, with their rigid interpretation of “no salvation outside the Church” can be reconciled without abjuring their positions – that is a very hard doctrine to grasp and interpret, after all, true as we affirm it to be – then why cannot the SSPXers be reconciled when they have problems with some things from the Second Vatican Council which are also points that are very hard to interpret?  Points which in the Council’s own documents are subject to differing interpretations?  When we are faced with doctrines that are very difficult to grasp, a certain measure of freedom should be allowed.

If we can have greater unity with former Anglicans, who can maintain many of their cherished traditions but in unity with the Roman Pontiff, if we can have an Ordinariate for them through Anglicanorum coetibus, then why can we not have some structure for the SSPX, who are closer to us in so many more respects?

For one thing, the Anglicans were willing to submit to the authority of the Roman Pontiff and were willing to give up things and make sacrifices for the sake of unity.  In the balance, they gained far more than they gave up.

The more difficult problem than the doctrinal discussion – and they are not easy – is probably just that some in the SSPX are now so comfortable or set in their positions that they may not be able to change.

We are now seeing a young set of SSPXers coming up who have never in their own lives known unity with Rome.  They have a mindset which they defend and they may not be able to leave it aside and make the hard choice for manifest unity with the Roman Pontiff and, what is more, obedience to his authority.

In both Pope Benedict and in Bp. Fellay we see men who are trying to bring the two sides together.  I pray that they succeed.  There will be resistance from some close to the process on both sides.  I suspect that even if they were to come to an accord, there would be a group that split off from the SSPX and there would be savage criticism and resistance within the ranks of those who are in clearer formal unity.

A wise mentor whose memory and lessons I hold dear once told me that at a certain point we must stop arguing and try to open hearts.

Perhaps you will include this petition in your prayers, that those who have closed hearts and minds on both sides will make the choice for reconciliation so that this wound in the Church’s unity can be healed and that men with a valid contribution to make to the life of the Church can finally be brought home and celebrated. 

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/08/john-alle...r-z-rants/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by salus - 08-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by joe17 - 08-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by joe17 - 08-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by ggreg - 08-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by Justin - 08-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by Cindy - 08-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by FHM310 - 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by Justin - 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by Justin - 08-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Re: Vatican Offers SSPX Ordinariate - by Justin - 08-24-2011, 08:58 PM