If the Old Covenant died in A.D. 70, what about 586 B.C.?
Mike, the Temple, as a structure, may be rebuilt for the 'man of sin' to sit in, but I cannot imagine God allowing the blasphemy of animal sacrifice being restored. Christ's Sacrifice completed all sacrifices.
(09-15-2011, 04:17 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Mike, the Temple, as a structure, may be rebuilt for the 'man of sin' to sit in, but I cannot imagine God allowing the blasphemy of animal sacrifice being restored. Christ's Sacrifice completed all sacrifices.

There's no reason why God wouldn't allow it.

The end days will be dreadful. "For there will rise up false Christs and false prophets, and they shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce (if it were possible) even the elect." (Mark 13:22)
(09-15-2011, 04:17 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Mike, the Temple, as a structure, may be rebuilt for the 'man of sin' to sit in, but I cannot imagine God allowing the blasphemy of animal sacrifice being restored. Christ's Sacrifice completed all sacrifices.
The animal sacrifice continued for 40 years after the death of Christ. Even the Talmud admits that the sacrifice was not accepted during those 40 years, but does not draw the obvious conclusion.
"Clyde Lott, a cattle breeder in O'Neill, Nebraska, United States, is attempting to systematically breed red heifers and export them to Israel to establish a breeding line of red heifers in Israel in the hope that this will bring about the construction of the Third Temple and ultimately the Second Coming of Jesus Christ."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_heifer

Update
"In 1994 Clyde phoned and invited JoAnn and me to come and meet Rabbi Richman, a man many U.S. citizens now know because of his visit to their churches. On November 10, 1994, this orthodox rabbi laid his hands on Clyde's perfect red heifers. This was the first time in over two thousand years a rabbi had touched such a cow. It was a historical event. Now, a new, non-profit corporation, Canaan Land Restoration of Israel, Inc., with Clyde Lott as president will ship plane loads of red cattle to Israel, 140 heifers per load. The first shipment is scheduled for August 1998."
http://www.templemount.org/heifer.html

I don't support the state of Israel because I think they will eventually restart animal sacrifices, build the third temple and place their antichrist in it.  I think it is inevitable but I don't think we should be supporting the state of Israel for that reason.  Jerusalem should have remained an international city.  It is not good that they moved their capital from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.  In the last couple of years the Zionists have increased evictions in East Jerusalem and built new settlements.
(09-15-2011, 04:52 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

There's no reason why God wouldn't allow it.

The end days will be dreadful. "For there will rise up false Christs and false prophets, and they shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce (if it were possible) even the elect." (Mark 13:22)

I absolutely do not believe that the Jewish Temple will be rebuilt, for the primary reason that I don't believe God would allow it and for the secondary reason because if they tried, the Muslims would go ape-shit wild since that is where their shrine of the "Dome of the Rock" sits.  The Muslims would go to war with the Jews if this began to happen, which would ultimately halt it from ever happening.

Vetus, the Scripture you provided has to do with the era just before the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD.  This is very clearly evident from this same Scripture of the Olivet Discourse, since Christ Himself stated that all of those signs He listed would occur before that generation He was speaking with passed.

Mark 13: 29,30:  So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away before all these things take place.

This proves that Christ came in 70 AD "upon the clouds of heaven" to judge "those who had pierced him."  Jesus came "in the glory of the Father" in 70 AD, for the Father often "came" as Judge in the Old Testament era.  The several "cloud comings" of the Father in the OT were not physical comings, they were spiritual.  Jesus Himself even states in the Olivet Discourse that there would be many false messiahs that would claim to be Him, but do not believe it, for His coming would not be physical.

Matthew 24: 26,27:  So, if they say to you, 'Lo, he is in the wilderness,' do not go out; if they say, 'Lo, he is in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of man.

His coming would be as lightning in the sky, which shows that His coming would not be physical, so don't go off chasing false messiahs!  Where would this non-physical coming in judgment occur?  We have the answer in the next verse:

Matthew 24: 28:  Wherever the body is, there the eagles will be gathered together.  The "body" being the dead body of the Old Religion and its followers, those that denied Christ as Messiah.  The "Eagles" are none other than the Romans, for their insignia was the Roman Eagle.

Matthew 16: 27,28:  For the Son of man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay every man for what he has done. Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. 

The Son of Man coming in His Kingdom occurred in 70 AD, for Jesus then entered His Kingdom in Heaven, of which the Catholic Church on earth is part of that Kingdom (the Church militant).  Jesus Himself stated that there would be some of them who would not taste death until this event, which was 40 years later.  Christ coming in His Kingdom in 70 AD is what opened Heaven for mankind because before this time man could not enter Heaven.  In 70 AD with the destruction of the Temple, as the Apocalypse of St. John shows, Satan was bound and the millennial reign of Christ began.  Now mankind, as long as they were a part of this Kingdom which exists on earth as the Catholic Church, could meet their God in Heaven and be with Him for eternity.  This is the entire scope of the Book of Revelation; the ending of the Old Jerusalem and the coming of the New Jerusalem.  It was the events of 70 AD that fulfilled all of the Old Testament Scriptures.

Also, the "Man of Sin" mentioned in 2 Thessalonians can be seen as a prophesy referring to the Zealot Menahem, who was one of the false messiahs that Christ warned His followers about.  Keep in mind that it was the original readers who St. Paul was giving instructions to concerning this "man of sin," who St. Paul described as active and ready to take over the Temple.  Mehahem is the one who executed the Jewish High Priest Ananias, then entering into the Temple as the declared "King of the Jews."

The group of Menahem was called Sicarians ('dagger men'). The Sicarii Zealots hailed their leader, Mehahem, as king of the Jews and went to Jerusalem, where they laid siege to the remaining Roman garrison. In September AD 66, the Roman leaders occupying Jerusalem surrendered and were lynched.

This Temple takeover, which launched the Great Revolt, was the event that St. Paul instructed the Thessalonians to mark as the time for Christ's judgment to begin upon Israel, for He was about to "come upon the clouds of heaven" as Judge.  This "Man of Sin" absolutely must have been at that time, since St. Paul was instructing the Thessalonians about what to do concerning him - he was not instructing people 2,000 years removed from the authorship of this letter. 

Indeed it was the beginning of God's judgment, for immediately following this the Romans, led by Cestius Gallus, marched to the rebellious province, liberated the pro-Roman capital of Galilee (Sepphoris), and continued to Jerusalem. When they appeared at Jerusalem, the Jewish Christians fled the city according to Christ's instructions (Luke 21:20-23) and were spared the horrible events that followed. Cestius Gallus was temporarily halted at Jerusalem by the Zealot revolutionaries, and this temporary halt permitted the Christians to escape the great city. The Romans quickly sent reinforcements and promptly sealed off all of Jerusalem, leaving millions of Jews from all over the empire trapped inside (Luke 19:40-44), where they went through civil war, plague, famine, and final slaughter by the Romans at AD 70. The Temple was taken down stone-by-stone as Christ prophesied (Matt 24:1-3). For those were the days of vengeance, that all things written might be fulfilled (Luke 21:20-22).
(09-17-2011, 04:14 AM)Freudentaumel Wrote:
The animal sacrifice continued for 40 years after the death of Christ. Even the Talmud admits that the sacrifice was not accepted during those 40 years, but does not draw the obvious conclusion.

Yes they did continue, but it was a pointless sacrifice that no longer meant anything.  Daniel's "70 weeks" prophesy shows that "sacrifice and offering ceased" in the middle of the 70th week.  The beginning of the 70th week was the Baptism of Christ, the middle was the Death and Resurrection of Christ, which made null and void the Old Covenant system of animal sacrifice, thus causing its effectiveness to cease.  The ending of the 70th week is the time when the Gospel first went to the Gentiles.  70 AD is when the distinctions of "Jew and Gentile" officially ended, this event ended the times of the Gentiles because Gentiles no longer exist - now the two distinctions are Christian (spiritual Jew) and non-Christian (spiritual Gentile).  People claiming today to be "Jews" are only doing so by ethnic standards, like those who are African or Asian.  This is why it is ridiculous to believe that God will save the last generation of Jews on earth during the "end times" when those claiming to be "Jews" since Christ are no longer defined by their religion (since it no longer exists) but by their ethnicity.  This erroneous belief is due to a gross misinterpretation of Scripture (Romans 11) and it actually makes one believe that ethnic Jews are still specially important to God over other people when they are absolutely no different than any other person - we all need Christ equally. (this erroneous belief would be like believing that God will save the last generation of Mongolians during the "end times" for the sole reason of being a Mongol).
(08-26-2011, 01:37 PM)Laetare Wrote: Salus, I suppose that's part of my fear: if our Lord's words are true, the Temple can never be rebuilt. In a sense, we almost have to wish that this conflict in the Levant will never end. The only other way to prevent the Jews from rebuilding the Temple and spitting in the faith of our holy religion is to establish an entirely Catholic government in the area. My faith wavers when I see all these attempts to rebuild... sometimes I think they'll do it, and no one will stop them.

The same fear surrounds the potential loss of Rome by the Papacy, from invading armies far in the future. If it truly is Peter's See, then the Pope really should not lose it. What if...  ???

It is not our job to prevent the temple from being rebuilt...or even to waste our time praying that it doesn't.  We trust that to God.  And we shouldn't hate Israel just for fear that the Jews might force God's hand  and bring on some sort of apocalypse...that would be ascribing a power to the Jews that they do not have...no one does.  If, upon rebuilding the temple, the apocalypse did ensue, then it would only be because God intended it to happen at that moment anyway.