Do protestants worship the Bible?
(08-29-2011, 11:59 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote: They take every word of it to be true, kiss it in their religious services, call it holy and the Word of God, ect...

Sounds like Idolatry to me!

(This is what I say when protestants say Catholics "worship" Mary.)

1.They take every word of it to be true: From Genesis to the book of Revelation the Bible is the Inspired Word of God ergo Every Word Is True.
2.Kiss [the bible] it in their religious services: I personally have never seen a Bible kissed by the Minister at a Protestant Service. It is however Always kissed during the Mass.
3.[They] call it Holy and the Word of God: The Bible is Holy because it is The Word of God.

4.Sounds like Idolatry to me!  ???

5.(This is what I say when protestants say Catholics "worship" Mary.) " Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. " 1 Peter 3:9
(08-31-2011, 04:37 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote:
(08-31-2011, 03:23 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(08-31-2011, 01:50 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(08-31-2011, 08:38 AM)Stubborn Wrote:
(08-30-2011, 09:56 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(08-30-2011, 09:33 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The Bible is the word of God.

The problem for the Protestant is not that he worships the word of God. In fact, that's quite laudable and necessary since "not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." (Matt 4:4).

The problem for the Protestant is that he rejects Sacred Tradition and the Church's Magisterium, the other two sources of divine revelation.

This

This 2. 

This 3.

This 4 ... except that Resurrexi is right, the two sources of revelation are Scripture and Tradition.  The Magisterium interprets divine revelation.

All true...

err...

This 5

These 1!
(09-01-2011, 12:26 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(08-31-2011, 11:55 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(08-30-2011, 05:47 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(08-30-2011, 09:33 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The Bible is the word of God.

The problem for the Protestant is not that he worships the word of God.

It's obviously good to show proper honor to the holy Scripture as God's revelation, but in contemporary English worship usually refers to latria.

And...?

The word of God is God. There's no such thing as excessive honour due to His word.

The Word of God (i.e., the Son of God) is certainly God; however, the word of God (i.e., holy Scripture) is distinct from God.

The Second Council of Nicaea compares the honoring of holy images to the veneration of holy Scripture. Toward both we are "to render due salutation and honorable reverence, not however, to grant true Iatria according to our faith, which is proper to divine nature alone."

The word of God proceeds from Him, it is pure truth, the sustenance of the soul. Obviously we don't offer masses to the Bible or pray to the Bible but its content (the word of God) is worthy of our unreserved obedience and allegiance.