"Evangelical Catholicism" and the current EWTN lineup
Apparently I haven't listened or watched EWTN in awhile. Yeah, I knew they were reform of the reform oriented and there were a few like Scott Hahn on there who were ex- protestant. Thing is, our diocese just had a group start a Catholic radio station that picks up EWTN. I tuned in and was surprised by the overabundance of former protestant hosts. Don't get me wrong, its great that they joined the Church. Problem is, they have turned EWTN into an evangelical Catholicism. They are very "God is great", "I love the Blessed JP2", "We need to find the light of Christ", "Praise Jesus"etc. It sounds like things you would hear from one of those evangelical Churches. I know back in 2007-2008 when SP came out, they had a few TLMs that were showcased and Tom Woods did a series on something in 2008. Now it seems that any traditional Catholic elements have been purged altogether. Corapi was one of the last real orthodox ones. The first person who came on the radio yesterday was Mark Shea. Then they have lots of Catholic Answers domination as well. The evangelical stuff that focuses more on emotions like the faith being "awesome", is really wimpy and not deep rooted. The only program I listen to on the radio in depth is Mother Angelica classics.
(08-31-2011, 11:01 PM)TeaGuyTom Wrote: The first person who came on the radio yesterday was Mark Shea. [ . . . ]  The evangelical stuff that focuses more on emotions like the faith being "awesome", is really wimpy and not deep rooted.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth converting Prots like that if all they're going to do is try and refashion their newfound faith into something like the sham they left...

And Mark Shea in general:  Puke
I haven't read/seen too much of Scott Hahn, but I must admit I love his "third cup" theory. 
EWTN...A NETWORK GONE WRONG

http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives...corapi.htm

.......... (excerpt from the article)
With good reason has the Church always counseled that the faithful not become too attached to particular priests, lest they lapse into a Protestant-style congregationalism dependent on the charism of one fallible man. But EWTN, run largely by ex-Protestants, depends precisely on a kind of televised mass congregationalism driven by magnetic personalities. When those personalities reveal, again and again, that they are all too human, we encounter the grave consequences of EWTN’s attempt to turn the Faith into an endless TV show.  That is one reason I wrote the book. And that is why the book is subtitled A Network Gone Wrong.

My suggestion to EWTN: Abandon your attempt to be a Catholic version of a secular cable TV network. Avoid the cult of personality and all its pitfalls. Forget the lame pop content. Instead, isolate the many sound elements in your programming and present only those on a more limited schedule, to a more limited audience if need be. Let the truths of the Faith speak plainly and simply for themselves; let its unadorned beauty be your main attraction.  And if viewership declines, then too bad for the viewers who tune out.  It would be better for you to downsize your operation for the sake of religious integrity than to continue repeating the past pattern of celebrity scandals and vulgarization of content. The Faith is not a TV show and never can be; but TV can be a powerful medium for advancing the Faith.  Learn that distinction and respect it, and EWTN—no matter how large or small it becomes—will more truly serve the cause of the Gospel.
(08-31-2011, 11:20 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I haven't read/seen too much of Scott Hahn, but I must admit I love his "third cup" theory. 

What is the third cup theory?
(08-31-2011, 11:22 PM)AuberonDraenenWen Wrote:
(08-31-2011, 11:20 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I haven't read/seen too much of Scott Hahn, but I must admit I love his "third cup" theory. 

What is the third cup theory?

My bad. It's actually the fourth cup! James02 actually did a good job of summing it up:

(07-09-2011, 06:29 PM)James02 Wrote: This is actually something that Hahn might be on to.  Evidently during the Passover meal, you are supposed to drink 4 times.  Well, biblically Jesus evidently only drank 3 times.  Then on the cross He drank the fourth cup (the sour wine on the sponge) and proclaimed: It is finished.  Thus tying in His Passion and Death with Passover.

Might be true. 

In another thread James02 argued that someone has pushed the theory further and argued the fourth cup is actually that from which the priest drinks at Mass, thus every mass re-presents this.  But, I can't find that thread.
Actually, it was from listening to Hahn (from links on the FE site!) that helped me to figure out what the Mass is supposed to be about, and that kickstarted my journey toward the TLM.  ;D

But yeah, I do get a little dismayed that the dominant voices in the NO world that are trying to be obedient to the Church tend to be ex-protestants.  It was helpful at first during my own conversion to hear people that spoke "my language" in a sense, and knew exactly how to intelligently address any questions or objections I may have had from my background.  But at a certain point in my growth as a Catholic, I realized that I was in a whole new place with a language and customs of its own, and I needed to be immersed in it among the natives.

I think you're right, the way most cities have a Chinatown, EWTN has an Evangelicaltown.  Wink  It does have (limited) value but it needs to not monopolize the programming.
I agree that there is an emphasis on a sort of low-Church Catholic evangelical outlook on EWTN. Some of the writers of books who also work on that network have downright happy-clappy adverts. Something about them seems like it isn't full, as it were. I say there's nothing wrong or heretical, but just... the whole glass isn't up to the brim, somehow.

Huh?

Just hope the atheists who become Catholic start to take over the show. Every atheist I've met who converted to Catholicism did so entirely because of St. Thomas (me included  ;D)
(09-01-2011, 12:28 AM)Laetare Wrote: I agree that there is an emphasis on a sort of low-Church Catholic evangelical outlook on EWTN. Some of the writers of books who also work on that network have downright happy-clappy adverts. Something about them seems like it isn't full, as it were. I say there's nothing wrong or heretical, but just... the whole glass isn't up to the brim, somehow.

Huh?

Just hope the atheists who become Catholic start to take over the show. Every atheist I've met who converted to Catholicism did so entirely because of St. Thomas (me included  ;D)

Atheists and atheist leaners make great Catholics.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Apparently, some of you guys weren't around the last couple of years and aren't aware about all the Scott Hahn controversy that occurred about 5-6 years ago.

You guys missed some real doozies. Among them the Scott Hahn Rosary with new Evangelical mysteries designed by Scott Hahn. Then there was the time Scott Hahn found out that the Holy Spirit was female. The Holy Spirit being feminine fits in with the whole Theology of the Body don't you see. The New Oxford Review took him to the woodshed over that issue.