"Evangelical Catholicism" and the current EWTN lineup
I had Catholic radio wake me up today.  Some sing-songy intro woke me up.

Why can't Catholic programming be normal and not kitschy?  Why!?

It also lacks manliness, even though most of the main folks are male.
(09-01-2011, 01:16 AM)SaintRafael Wrote: Apparently, some of you guys weren't around the last couple of years and aren't aware about all the Scott Hahn controversy that occurred about 5-6 years ago.

You guys missed some real doozies. Among them the Scott Hahn Rosary with new Evangelical mysteries designed by Scott Hahn. Then there was the time Scott Hahn found out that the Holy Spirit was female. The Holy Spirit being feminine fits in with the whole Theology of the Body don't you see. The New Oxford Review took him to the woodshed over that issue.

Actually, yeah, I totally missed both of those stories!  Is 5 years to late to get on the bandwagon lol?  I keep telling my wife I don't like this guy, but can never articulate a good enough reason for her.  Apparantly becasue he is such dork isn't good enough  ;D
(09-01-2011, 07:20 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I had Catholic radio wake me up today.  Some sing-songy intro woke me up.

Why can't Catholic programming be normal and not kitschy?  Why!?

It also lacks manliness, even though most of the main folks are male.

Oh, dude- this.  70% of the time (and a lot of times more than that) I turn it on and I think I'm listening to some BLTG (baconlettucetomatoGAY) public service announcement, these dudes are so soft.

They need a beer chugging whiskey swigging mammoth of a man.  Preferably with an eastern or northern acccent. 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
"Evangelical Catholicism" that is a name, dude !  I like this as a descriptive so much, I'm going to figure out how to work it in. Kudos

tim
(09-01-2011, 01:16 AM)SaintRafael Wrote: Apparently, some of you guys weren't around the last couple of years and aren't aware about all the Scott Hahn controversy that occurred about 5-6 years ago.

You guys missed some real doozies. Among them the Scott Hahn Rosary with new Evangelical mysteries designed by Scott Hahn. Then there was the time Scott Hahn found out that the Holy Spirit was female. The Holy Spirit being feminine fits in with the whole Theology of the Body don't you see. The New Oxford Review took him to the woodshed over that issue.

LOL!! For real?? Links please!!

As a former evangelical, I have to stay that I feel I owe a great deal to the Hahns; Rome Sweet Home stopped me dead in my tracks, and catholic.com was my online "parish" before I upgraded to fisheaters. I think it has its place.
But yeah most people watching EWTN aren't Prot converts; they should vary their lineup a little more.
Very few of these converts from Evangelicalism and Fundamentalism who swam across the Tiber left everything behind and came to Rome with only the clothes on their back.  The majority, and we know who they are, made sure they had with them the luggage of the old religion, something that they cannot or could ever be rid of.  So we have Muslim-like shouts of "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) Evangelical style.  And there's more, which no Catholic ever evoked such sentiments, such as "God is awesome" or "Church today was great," etc.  The Evangelical Catholics have changed and shaped the Catholic faith to their own image.

The ancient and true Catholic faith, along with the Catholic ethos, the Catholic identity and character, is gone except in a few places and this is why we should go with St. Pius X who sought to restore all things in Christ.  It is up to us then  to carry the burden of bringing about the restoration. 

A thought came to me recently regarding Pope Leo XIII's vision in which Satan boasted that he could destroy the Church if given 100 years.  Our Lord gave him the go ahead, and it appears to me that the 100 years has passed and the destruction has been a done deal, though not totally.  We only have to look around us and see that almost everything has gone south.  Is this a defeat we accept without a battle? 

Another thought.  What are the Evangelical Caths saying about the Vatican-Lutheran accords?  I know that they have debunked the infallible doctrine of no salvation outside the Church.  And Marian devotion is almost nil -- this is the giveaway of the true Catholic by hiscomplete devotion to Mary. 
(09-01-2011, 11:15 AM)Vincentius Wrote: these converts... made sure they had with them the luggage of the old religion, something that they cannot or could ever be rid of.  So we have Muslim-like shouts of "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) Evangelical style. 

Sorry, but is there something unholy about the Arabic language? I can only assume you don't disagree with the content...
(09-01-2011, 11:23 AM)elizabee Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:15 AM)Vincentius Wrote: these converts... made sure they had with them the luggage of the old religion, something that they cannot or could ever be rid of.  So we have Muslim-like shouts of "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) Evangelical style. 

Sorry, but is there something unholy about the Arabic language? I can only assume you don't disagree with the content...

Unholy because it is a false faith, a sham religion.  Really, I have never heard shouts of "God is great from" any Catholic.  Why?  Because we already know He is great, and the only shout we hear is within ourselves, from within our hearts and minds, when we live according to His commandments.  Holiness only comes from Jesus Christ and to those who follow Him without reserve (meaning here, sans "lukewarmness").  The Jesus that the Evangelical faith holds is not the Jesus Christ that Catholics believe in.  Two different and distinct Christs.  If it were the One True Christ, then everybody who holds to the Christian faith has to be Catholic.  Just as we know those who people Heaven are Catholics; can't find Protestants there or anybody else profesing another religion. .  Protestantism is nothing new.  Before there was even a Catholic faith, there already was a Protestant -- the First Protestant who we know who said, Non Serviam (I will not serve), is of course Lucifer, who rebelled against God. 

(09-01-2011, 11:51 AM)Vincentius Wrote:

Unholy because it is a false faith, a sham religion. 

The Arabic language has been around much longer than the Islamic religion.  Arabic is a language, not a religion.  There are plenty of Arabic speaking Catholic's, and their language is not unholy.
(09-01-2011, 11:51 AM)Vincentius Wrote:

Unholy because it is a false faith, a sham religion.  Really, I have never heard shouts of "God is great from" any Catholic. 

"Because the Lord your God he is the God of gods, and the Lord of lords, a great God and mighty and terrible, who accepteth no person nor taketh bribes. " -Deuteronomy 10:17, (Douay-Rheims)

Oh crap! I just reaized that the translators of Douay-Rheims were Judaizers as they used the term "the Lord" instead of "Yahweh." Also, clearly they were sympatheic to Islam.