"Evangelical Catholicism" and the current EWTN lineup
(09-01-2011, 08:53 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 07:20 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I had Catholic radio wake me up today.  Some sing-songy intro woke me up.

Why can't Catholic programming be normal and not kitschy?  Why!?

It also lacks manliness, even though most of the main folks are male.

Oh, dude- this.  70% of the time (and a lot of times more than that) I turn it on and I think I'm listening to some BLTG (baconlettucetomatoGAY) public service announcement, these dudes are so soft.

They need a beer chugging whiskey swigging mammoth of a man.  Preferably with an eastern or northern acccent. 

Yeah, the feminisation of the Church extends much deeper than just in the church building.  It's permeated the entire Catholic culture.  Even those sing-songy Rosaries recorded by little children and women - blech.  Why can't a man record something?  Why don't they play chant?  Baaaaaah.

Buncha queers run things now.  We need to figure out how to take it all back.
Yup, the Church is seen as something for women and old peopel now.  That's why there are so few men taking any role in most church functions, and i'm specifically talking about NO stuff here.  How many Parishes have mostly women on the parish council, mostly women lecters, mostly women EM's?  I wish I could say it was becasue men were smart enough to stay away from bullcrap, but that is hardly the case.
(09-01-2011, 12:15 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:51 AM)Vincentius Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:23 AM)elizabee Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:15 AM)Vincentius Wrote: these converts... made sure they had with them the luggage of the old religion, something that they cannot or could ever be rid of.  So we have Muslim-like shouts of "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) Evangelical style. 

Sorry, but is there something unholy about the Arabic language? I can only assume you don't disagree with the content...

Unholy because it is a false faith, a sham religion.  Really, I have never heard shouts of "God is great from" any Catholic. 

"Because the Lord your God he is the God of gods, and the Lord of lords, a great God and mighty and terrible, who accepteth no person nor taketh bribes. " -Deuteronomy 10:17, (Douay-Rheims)

Oh crap! I just reaized that the translators of Douay-Rheims were Judaizers as they used the term "the Lord" instead of "Yahweh." Also, clearly they were sympatheic to Islam. 

LOL.

Yeah, Vinceteus, sorry to say this, but I'm not convinced. If somebody likes to "praise the Lord and pass the pepper" Arab-style, what business of it is yours? Do you need to micromanage peoples' prayer lives? The exclamation style of praise doesn't appeal to you... fine... but there's lots of precedent for it in the psalms... pick your battles, friend.
While volunteering at a Catholic books/gifts shop over the last year of my conversion, I had a chance to see just how Catholics are. I have no hesitation in saying that my experience was not exactly uplifting. The majority of sisters who came in were naturally wearing windbreakers, dress shirts, and suit-pants. The men were, generally-speaking, wimpy and looked like the 1970's with their unkempt hair, worryingly skinny bodies, and overall effeminate way of looking. Something was out of place: when a husband and wife came in, it was usually the woman bossing the clueless guy around.

Our faith has been corrupted by a force; that much is true. The store was adorned with paintings by Catholics that even a Pentecostal would be embarrassed pushing on a customer. I seriously felt ill having to sell off paintings of our Lord petting deer in meadows or sharing a meal with African children, an obvious social justice inspirational. The whole place was filled with gushy images of our Lady, not all the woman of Fatima and Revelation. The childrens' section was totally banal and lacking any Catholic feeling - the books could be for general Christian children: no mention of the Church, or priests (though some books did, to their credit).

The most startling thing to notice was the evangelical mood of everyone who worked there or knew the store intimately. Talking to all the venerable old ladies in the store, I saw over many months that they all loved the fake-bass-dramatist Fr. Corapi (who I found oddly distasteful the moment I first heard him in August 2010), or praised Scott Hahn as "really good", heh. I don't believe hearing anyone speaking of how holy any EWTN presenter was, just that they were "good" and "get you going". Interestingly, most people never talked about our Lord or saints at all, treating it like some secular thing they were doing. Everything seemed secularised to a tee. It was very disconcerting, and I considered Orthodoxy several times due to the sheer universality of this crap. Thank you, God, I made the right choice in the end and avoided the schismatics.

I often conducted an interesting experiment in that store. There were a few unused Gregorian chant CDs, and the local classical music station to be used. When the floor manager would leave, I'd pop in some chant and she'd come back after an hour looking very irritated. She never confronted me directly, but whispered about that not being the right mood; she'd switch it back to the local FM "light rock" station, with its palm-reading interviews and horoscope-tellers. Sometimes I'd change it to the classical channel, and once a whole Schubert Mass was being played - she switched that back to light rock too, LOL.

It's time for a crusade of prayer for this degenerating Church, that God may bolster it up and use it to burn down the gates of Hell soon.
(09-01-2011, 11:55 AM)HotRod Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:51 AM)Vincentius Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:23 AM)elizabee Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:15 AM)Vincentius Wrote: these converts... made sure they had with them the luggage of the old religion, something that they cannot or could ever be rid of.  So we have Muslim-like shouts of "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) Evangelical style. 

Sorry, but is there something unholy about the Arabic language? I can only assume you don't disagree with the content...

Unholy because it is a false faith, a sham religion. 

The Arabic language has been around much longer than the Islamic religion.  Arabic is a language, not a religion.  There are plenty of Arabic speaking Catholic's, and their language is not unholy.

Of course you know what I was referring to but I will make it clear:  it is the Arabic used in the Koran, not the classical (Semetic-origin) or the everyday spoken language in the Arabic lands.

Just saying, as the saying goes:  English is the language used in business, French, the language used for love, German the language for the dogs, and Spanish is the language we use to speak to God.  Just saying...
I didn;t realize that the Koran was written in a different Arabic than was spoken at the time.  I am no fan of Islam, far from it, but I am indifferent to the Arabic Language.

Also, that saying is stupid.
(09-01-2011, 10:33 AM)elizabee Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 01:16 AM)SaintRafael Wrote: Apparently, some of you guys weren't around the last couple of years and aren't aware about all the Scott Hahn controversy that occurred about 5-6 years ago.

You guys missed some real doozies. Among them the Scott Hahn Rosary with new Evangelical mysteries designed by Scott Hahn. Then there was the time Scott Hahn found out that the Holy Spirit was female. The Holy Spirit being feminine fits in with the whole Theology of the Body don't you see. The New Oxford Review took him to the woodshed over that issue.

LOL!! For real?? Links please!!

As a former evangelical, I have to stay that I feel I owe a great deal to the Hahns; Rome Sweet Home stopped me dead in my tracks, and catholic.com was my online "parish" before I upgraded to fisheaters. I think it has its place.
But yeah most people watching EWTN aren't Prot converts; they should vary their lineup a little more.

I think he's referring to this:

http://www.newoxfordreview.org/note.jsp?...notes-hahn

http://pblosser.blogspot.com/2007/06/for-record.html
Here's the link for the Scott Hahn Rosary article from The Remnant Newspaper:

Will Somebody Stop Him, Please! Scott Hahn Markets New “Evangelical” Mysteries of the Rosary
http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives...5-hahn.htm
SaintRafael - Yeah, I totally missed that weird Hahn rosary business.  LOL

Laetare - That's odd...I've almost never heard of Scott Hahn being praised by anyone but ex-protestant converts.  Most Catholics I've talked to cringe at his presentation style which is still awkwardly evangelical sounding, and liberals can't stand him because of his perceived "orthodoxy." Smile
I really liked Scott Hahn when I first converted to Catholicism.  His book "Rome Sweet Home" was the beginning of my conversion process.

Not quite sure how I missed these 2 controversies, but oh well.

I do find that as I began my journey to the TLM, I listened to him less and less.  He's not even on my radar any more.

But I still think he has a way of getting protestants to at least explore the Catholic faith.