Saints who were total badasses
(09-01-2011, 08:36 PM)wallflower Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 08:09 PM)Magdalene Wrote: Not  badass!   What they were was HOLY.  And so they were unafraid to proclaim the truth and to act on the claim

Agreed. It's fun to romanticize the saints but I bet we would all be "offended" by them IRL. The badass ideas in our heads don't translate well IRL. We'd probably be more likely to think them crazy, extremists, annoying etc...

You're definitely right. That says more about our flaws and biases, though, and anything else.
(09-01-2011, 11:11 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: St Maximillian Kolbe.  He was a peaceful bad ass.  In a concentration camp they're picking people to gas and they pick this dude who's like "I have a family, etc!" and Father steps up and says "take me instead, I'm a Catholic priest."

He spent the rest of his days offering mass in a small cell to other detainees.  He used the bread that they gave him (for meals) so that people didn't have to go hungry.  I believe they actually have a monument at auschwitz where this happened.
A holy man!
But they (the germans) were not gassing anyone. They were trying to make an example out of 10 jews (because of escapees) and send them to "starvation cells".
I don't know where people make up the gassing of jews. (I know, that is for another topic).
(09-01-2011, 11:34 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:11 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: St Maximillian Kolbe.  He was a peaceful bad ass.  In a concentration camp they're picking people to gas and they pick this dude who's like "I have a family, etc!" and Father steps up and says "take me instead, I'm a Catholic priest."

He spent the rest of his days offering mass in a small cell to other detainees.  He used the bread that they gave him (for meals) so that people didn't have to go hungry.  I believe they actually have a monument at auschwitz where this happened.
A holy man!
But they did were not gassing anyone. They were trying to make an example out of 10 jews (because of escapees) and send them to "starvation cells".
I don't know where people make up the gassing of jews. (I know, that is for another topic).

Whatever, man.  Starvation sounds worse anyhow.  Like you said, a Holy man.  They say that when they came to give him lethal injection he rolled his sleeve down.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(09-01-2011, 07:21 PM)Spooky Wrote: So I've heard the story of St Nicholas punching Arius in the face at the council of Nicea, what other saints would you consider a total badass?

I love santa claus
St. Theodore

"Exposed as a Christian, a military tribunal decided he was a good soldier who had made a mistake, told him to reconsider, and set him free; he promptly burned down a pagan temple. Arrested again, he was ordered to apostatize, then tortured by having his flesh torn off; he responded by reciting the Psalms. Martyr."

:laughing: That's badass. 

Archbishop Lefebvre too. 
Pope St. Leo the Great met Attila the Hun and his army at the gates of Rome and told them to get the heck out.

St. Clare chased off an army of Saracens with the Blessed Sacrament. That's pretty B.A.
(09-01-2011, 11:49 PM)PeterII Wrote: St. Theodore

"Exposed as a Christian, a military tribunal decided he was a good soldier who had made a mistake, told him to reconsider, and set him free; he promptly burned down a pagan temple. Arrested again, he was ordered to apostatize, then tortured by having his flesh torn off; he responded by reciting the Psalms. Martyr."

:laughing: That's badass. 

Archbishop Lefebvre too. 

Reminded me of St. Lawrence. Has anyone mentioned his martyrdom?
(09-01-2011, 11:51 PM)Master_P Wrote: Pope St. Leo the Great met Attila the Hun and his army at the gates of Rome and told them to get the heck out.

St. Clare chased off an army of Saracens with the Blessed Sacrament. That's pretty B.A.

I never heard that one about St. Clare... WOW
(09-02-2011, 01:01 AM)Unum Sint Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:51 PM)Master_P Wrote: Pope St. Leo the Great met Attila the Hun and his army at the gates of Rome and told them to get the heck out.

I never heard that one about St. Clare... WOW

They should do expositions outside abortion clinics like those priests who did the excorcism.

Let those who hate Him flee before His Holy Face.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
How about St. Lawrence?  "Turn me over, I'm done on this side."