Saints who were total badasses
St. Sebastian

A member of the Roman army, he started converting folks and pissed off those in charge.  Diocletian ordered him to be tied to a tree and shot full with arrows.  When he had enough arrows in him to look "as an urchin", a Christian woman was shocked to discover that he had not actually died when she went to retrieve his body for burial.  She brought him back to her home to care for him, but instead he cured a girl in the home of blindness and then stood on the porch when Diocletian happened to be passing and basically told him off.  Diocletian had him arrested and beaten to death.

He was martyred twice and basically said, "piss off" both to the secular Roman authorities and the world in general. 
(09-01-2011, 11:34 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 11:11 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: St Maximillian Kolbe.  He was a peaceful bad ass.  In a concentration camp they're picking people to gas and they pick this dude who's like "I have a family, etc!" and Father steps up and says "take me instead, I'm a Catholic priest."

He spent the rest of his days offering mass in a small cell to other detainees.  He used the bread that they gave him (for meals) so that people didn't have to go hungry.  I believe they actually have a monument at auschwitz where this happened.
A holy man!
But they (the germans) were not gassing anyone. They were trying to make an example out of 10 jews (because of escapees) and send them to "starvation cells".
I don't know where people make up the gassing of jews. (I know, that is for another topic).

What planet are you from???? So I imagine St Teresa Benedicta is just propaganda too, she actually died in her old age safe in the monastery after pretending to have been taken and murdered by the Nazis?
(09-01-2011, 07:54 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote: St. Damien the leper priest of Molokai.

Fr. Damien once marched into a cave where the village Kahuna (pagan priest) and 30 men were sacrificing a dog to enact a curse on him.  The good Fr.  proceeded to knock the Kahuna on his ass, retrieve his rosary which had previously been stolen from his bunk and tear the effigy of himself to shreds.  

Good for Fr. Damien!  That story wasn't included in the book I read about him when I was a kid.  I'm glad he's been canonized.

St. Stephen (my patron) the first to remained charitably stubborn while being stoned to death!
[Image: 116-ElijahKillsProphetsofBaal_TIF-1.jpg]
Holy Father Elias and little Saint Maria Gorretii

[Image: 4770710299_fd9b8723bd-2.jpg]

Slaying false priests and prophets, calling down fire from heaven, raising up children from the dead and being assumed into heaven in style  :metal:

and Maria withstanding a brutes advances even when she is being martyred for purity
(09-06-2011, 02:56 AM)Walty Wrote: How about St. Lawrence?  "Turn me over, I'm done on this side."

:metal:

Ballsy.
(09-06-2011, 02:19 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(09-06-2011, 02:56 AM)Walty Wrote: How about St. Lawrence?  "Turn me over, I'm done on this side."

:metal:

Ballsy.

Yes ! ! ! ! ! !

Can you imagine the graces needed for that? WOW!
I think using terms like "badass" and "ballsy" is disrespectful. St. Jerome would probably scold all of you. St. Nicholas would probably punch you in the nose.

Did anyone mention St. Louis de Montfort? A group of about a dozen thugs brutally attacked Montfort, intending to beat him to death. This was the second attempt on his life and like the first it was unsuccessful. Underestimating his mighty size and violent temper, the assailants soon found themselves in fear for their own lives and quickly retreated.

I prefer the tale of Saint Louis clearing out a pub on Sunday morning because of the noise and dragging them all into Church.
(09-06-2011, 04:20 PM)City Smurf Wrote: I prefer the tale of Saint Louis clearing out a pub on Sunday morning because of the noise and dragging them all into Church.

I looked for that story online, but couldn't find it. Personally, I think Fr. Corapi made it up. He told a similar story about Padre Pio that could never be confirmed.