Wimps and Barbarians The Sons of Murphy Brown
kjvail Wrote:
Quote:Here's a question to contemplate.  Did you choose God, or did God choose you?

I think the answer has to be, without falling into incorrect formulations of predestination, that God chose me. I didn't do anything to deserve being pulled out of the pit. In fact I've tried to jump back in so many times I've lost count (how do protestants manage w/o the sacrament of confession???)

Why am I more deserving than the 100s that will die today in the midst of their sin? No clue.

"What shall I render unto the Lord for all the things that he hath rendered unto me?"

Yet you did do something, you desired Truth.
I like the connection drawn with music. I think that going around with one's head plugged into music is a quintessential sign of wimpiness, in either sex. Self-infatuation. The pagan scholar Allan Bloom writes of this association too.
I find that the peasants or common men and we are all peasants on this forum unless their are millionaires posting look to their elites for how to behave. The problem is that the elites or role models of our society all behave as barbarians or worse. The ideal is to be wealthy and have a harem of women to satisfy all your lustful desires. Indolence, greed, and lust are promoted to the level of a sacrament in our modern society by our elites. A fish dies from the head down and no were is this more evident than modern America.

Andy
LiberalJew Wrote:

I find that the peasants or common men and we are all peasants on this forum unless their are millionaires posting look to their elites for how to behave. The problem is that the elites or role models of our society all behave as barbarians or worse. The ideal is to be wealthy and have a harem of women to satisfy all your lustful desires. Indolence, greed, and lust are promoted to the level of a sacrament in our modern society by our elites. A fish dies from the head down and no were is this more evident than modern America.

Andy

And alas, that is how it has been for many civilizations since the Fall of Adam and Eve. Especially take note of the Imperial Roman aristocracy, the "elite" of the Weimar Republic before Hitler's rise, or the inner court of Mao Zedong when he schemed and murdered his way to power. We are not too much different.

Alas for us all.
Creimann,

Quote: I like the connection drawn with music. I think that going around with one's head plugged into music is a quintessential sign of wimpiness, in either sex. Self-infatuation. The pagan scholar Allan Bloom writes of this association too.

Yes, yes, yes!  Ipods are an excuse to draw inward and avoid having to interact with others.
They also effectively mean that the listener is pasting the essence of the music onto what he sees around himself. The abasing pulse of modern music will seem to him an overlay for everything else. OTOH, he may be playing nice classical music. Or maybe he's studying by hearing a lecture. In all likelihood though he's not.
An interesting article, which pulls together many disparate threads for me. I suppose Tom Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons is essentially the story of a woman who is undone through successive encounters with a Barbarian and then a Wimp, before meeting a lad who shows (to our surprise) signs of eventually becoming a Man.