Have any church doctors predicted a common peasant being elected Pope?
I know any baptised Catholic can technically be elected Pope. Has any church father or doctor predicted this or foreseen it happening?

I would like to read about it if so.
Peter was just a fisherman.

There's always hope.
Don't know about the peasant part specifically, but the prophecies of Saint Malachy Ua Morgair are fairly popular. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

It's worth pointing out that Pope Pius X was born a peasant. He was perhaps the first non-noble pope for many centuries.
(09-06-2011, 07:25 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Peter was just a fisherman.

There's always hope.

Yeah.  I mean, we seem to forget how ordinary St. Peter was (as ordinary as you can be and still be a saint, at least.)

If you think about it, it makes more sense to have had John be the first pope as he was the beloved of Our Lord and was the only apostle to stay by His side during His passion.  But Our Lord knows better than us and gave the job to a humble and faithful fisherman.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(09-06-2011, 07:36 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-06-2011, 07:25 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Peter was just a fisherman.

There's always hope.

Yeah.  I mean, we seem to forget how ordinary St. Peter was (as ordinary as you can be and still be a saint, at least.)

If you think about it, it makes more sense to have had John be the first pope as he was the beloved of Our Lord and was the only apostle to stay by His side during His passion.  But Our Lord knows better than us and gave the job to a humble and faithful fisherman.

Peter did own several fishing vessels and seems to have been the boss.  He also owned a home large enough to host a very large gathering when Christ was there.  Thus, he wasn't exactly a struggling fisherman. 
"Peter did own several fishing vessels and seems to have been the boss.  He also owned a home large enough to host a very large gathering when Christ was there.  Thus, he wasn't exactly a struggling fisherman. "

Yeah I'm not sure about Peter's actual economic status, it would be interesting to know. I guess being a fisherman wouldn't necessarily mean poverty, although it probably didn't mean great wealth either. 

What I was getting at was that if during a crisis, had any church doctor foreseen a time when someone of great faith would be picked from below, meaning less than a priest or bishop. I've actually heard this was possible, just not very likely.
(09-07-2011, 06:50 PM)mistman Wrote: What I was getting at was that if during a crisis, had any church doctor foreseen a time when someone of great faith would be picked from below, meaning less than a priest or bishop. I've actually heard this was possible, just not very likely.

In the present or future? Good question.

But Saint Gregory the Great was in fact only a deacon before he was elected Pope. And between the years 432 and 684, 34 out of the 37 popes during that time were only deacons. Only 3 were priests or bishops. Think about that.
"But Saint Gregory the Great was in fact only a deacon before he was elected Pope. And between the years 432 and 684, 34 out of the 37 popes during that time were only deacons. Only 3 were priests or bishops. Think about that."

!!!!!!

That's fascinating. I didn't know that. Where did you find that information?
(09-07-2011, 07:22 PM)mistman Wrote: "But Saint Gregory the Great was in fact only a deacon before he was elected Pope. And between the years 432 and 684, 34 out of the 37 popes during that time were only deacons. Only 3 were priests or bishops. Think about that."

!!!!!!

That's fascinating. I didn't know that. Where did you find that information?

HK is the world's leading expert on deacons.

True story. 
(09-07-2011, 06:50 PM)mistman Wrote: "Peter did own several fishing vessels and seems to have been the boss.  He also owned a home large enough to host a very large gathering when Christ was there.  Thus, he wasn't exactly a struggling fisherman. "

Yeah I'm not sure about Peter's actual economic status, it would be interesting to know. I guess being a fisherman wouldn't necessarily mean poverty, although it probably didn't mean great wealth either. 

What I was getting at was that if during a crisis, had any church doctor foreseen a time when someone of great faith would be picked from below, meaning less than a priest or bishop. I've actually heard this was possible, just not very likely.

Peter may have had a large house, but this is before Greenspan created the housing bubble. So no biggie.

How about Beppo, better known as Pope St. Pius X. He was born in poverty and could not even afford shoes.