No Hooters shirts in Mass, please
I've got an easy solution-- Everyone stop going to the NO, and you won't have to see Hooters shirts at Mass. The end.  :laughing:
(09-08-2011, 11:37 AM)ErinIsNice Wrote: I've got an easy solution-- Everyone stop going to the NO, and you won't have to see Hooters shirts at Mass. The end.  :laughing:

Now you're making sense... stop that!

:D
(09-08-2011, 11:37 AM)ErinIsNice Wrote: I've got an easy solution-- Everyone stop going to the NO, and you won't have to see Hooters shirts at Mass. The end.  :laughing:

This!!  :laughing:
(09-08-2011, 10:29 AM)Petertherock Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 10:11 AM)ErinIsNice Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 05:48 PM)Petertherock Wrote: That's bullshit. When women dress like hookers and are in the pew in front of you or walk by you you can't maintain control of your eyes.

I wonder if God will let me stand before Him and say I couldn't control myself when I got angry and it's all the fault of the person who was annoying me?

Somehow I don't think "she made me do it!" is going to fly.

No where did I say that the man is excused from his sin. But the woman, by her immodest dress is also responsible therefore, both will be in Hell.

Seems you would have condemned St. Mary of Egypt to hell for doing what God allowed her to do.  Enter a church dressed as a prostitute. 
(09-07-2011, 04:55 PM)knittycat Wrote: Darn right it is. And it should be. We should be intolerant of people who dress like hookers in the presence of our Lord!

LOL

TX was being funny....but let's ;ook at you post...shall we...

A tee shirt does not constitute dressing as a hooker...even a hooter tee shirt....

is it appropriate for Church...I don't think so typically speaking....be let's have some perspective....maybe she was on the way to work and was not going to have time to change...

It's like looking at the FAT girl at the BBQ restaurant and saying one of two things...

1 - "She's to fat to be eating all that...the glutton."

2 - "Wow, maybe she just lost 100 lbs and is giving herself a well deserved treat."

how do you know?
(09-08-2011, 11:39 AM)Texican Wrote:

Now you're making sense... stop that!

:D

;D
Would you consider a t-shirt with an outline of a stripper dancing on a pole, and the words "support single moms" appropriate attire for church? It covers all the right bits, but it's still vulgar because of what it represents.
(09-08-2011, 10:11 AM)ErinIsNice Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 05:48 PM)Petertherock Wrote: That's bullshit. When women dress like hookers and are in the pew in front of you or walk by you you can't maintain control of your eyes.

I wonder if God will let me stand before Him and say I couldn't control myself when I got angry and it's all the fault of the person who was annoying me?

Somehow I don't think "she made me do it!" is going to fly.

Of course not, but that in no way exonerates the one who is knowingly annoying you; he is likewise guilty before God.

No-one is arguing that the man who lusts is not sinning. The discussion concerns whether or not it is permitted to knowingly and unnecessarily occasion another's sin.

To knowingly annoy someone who is known to have a propensity to become irate is sinful; it occasions their sin.

Similarly, to dress in such a way that one knows will naturally occasion the temptation of lust for another is likewise prohibited as an application of the same principle:
Romans 14:13 Wrote:But judge this rather, that you put not a stumblingblock or a scandal in your brother's way.
Hi. After living for 4 years in London - where people dress much more formally than in the US or in my native Brazil - I got surprised when I was attending mass here in the US. I have seen old men and women dressed in bermudas and mini skirts, wearing flip flops. I think it's highly inadequate to go to church wearing that kind of stuff. I also think the priest should call attention to this in the bulletins, or maybe talk directly to the person. I certainly notice what people wear during mass, at the same time trying to tell myself not to be judgemental as we shouldn't be (as good catholics). But just because we shouldn't be judgemental that doesn't mean that people can wear whatever they want when going to mass. People may have gotten more casual, but it is the duty of the priest (and the community at large) to bring them back to common sense.

Another thing that bothers me horribly - not linked to this topic - is little children at the mass. Yes yes Jesus loved the children and so on, but children screaming and running don't let me pay attention to mass. In the UK families respected others and only brought their children to the so called "family mass". Here in the US they bring children in all masses. In the UK in my church there was a separate room for the few parents and children who insisted on coming to other masses than the family mass. Here usually there's none. Are you guys bothered as well? Or am I being too radical?
(09-07-2011, 05:48 PM)knittycat Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 05:44 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: I sympathize with your position, but the man always maintains control of his eyes.  The woman isn't personally responsible for whatever the man does, but she might be committing scandal- I think?  Wish Rosarium was still here.  That was his word.

I wholeheartedly agree that the man maintains control of his eyes. Men aren't beasts that will bang anything that stands still long enough (although I know a couple of 'em like that). BUT (there's always a but), why make it harder on them? Sure a man can chase impure thoughts from his mind, but why MAKE him do it over and over and over again at MASS??

Exactly.

Mass should be a safe place from things of that nature.

Besides, why should I make life harder for my brother in Christ?  We should cover ourselves out of charity if nothing else.