No Hooters shirts in Mass, please
How is that there was a debate about modesty going on and I didn't know about it?
(09-08-2011, 04:37 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 04:32 PM)patricia m. Wrote: - no cleavages

Isn't "cleavage" by necessity plural?  I don't think you need the "es" on the end...

Thanks for correcting me. English is not my first language, and I'm always learning new stuff. Sometimes people don't correct me because they think it's impolite, but I do like being corrected when I'm not speaking/writing proper English.
(09-08-2011, 11:07 PM)Revixit Wrote: Good list!  Welcome to Fish Eaters :hello!:

For church, I think clothes should have sleeves.  But a woman can wear sundresses to church and look proper if she simply wears a bolero jacket over them.  A bolero is a short jacket with short or three-quarter sleeves.  Of course the sundress can't be too low-cut in front, the bolero only covers her back and arms.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome! I do this all the time, for example if it's a hot day and so, and I'm going somewhere else after mass, I wear a tank top with a cardigan on top of it (kind of a twinset) - no bare arms on church, and afterwards I can take the cardigan off if I want to. As I said before, it takes just a bit of common sense to dress properly for mass.
(09-09-2011, 01:01 PM)patricia m. Wrote:

Isn't "cleavage" by necessity plural?  I don't think you need the "es" on the end...

Thanks for correcting me. English is not my first language, and I'm always learning new stuff. Sometimes people don't correct me because they think it's impolite, but I do like being corrected when I'm not speaking/writing proper English.

Well I am impressed; you write English very well.
(09-08-2011, 01:44 PM)knittycat Wrote: Would you consider a t-shirt with an outline of a stripper dancing on a pole, and the words "support single moms" appropriate attire for church? It covers all the right bits, but it's still vulgar because of what it represents.

Yeah  that's appropriate for church....don't be a moron.

Somehow I doubt anyone has ever seen that shirt at church unless the dude was on his iPhone paying attention to it instead.

The one possible exception is one of those little prot churches aimed directly at a particular group...like a stripper church...

even so such a tee shirt does not make someone look like a hooker...you gotta try real hard to look like one...
(09-09-2011, 08:20 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: How is that there was a debate about modesty going on and I didn't know about it?
Hey, you spotted it before me...

Though I saw the article on my own the other day, and that was after someone emailed me the bit about the swimming pool...  that was probably the best part of the whole thing:
Quote:PLANS FOR PARISH SWIMMING POOL SCRAPPED! After much study, our finance committee has determined it would not be feasible to construct an indoor swimming pool in our church. ... As a result, we can now announce with certainty that those who have been arriving for Mass as if dressed for the pool need not do so. Also, we hope to keep the air conditioning cranking all summer long. So you do not need to wear shorts, halter tops or bikinis to Mass.
:laughing:

You're very welcome, and I'm not actually sure myself.  In fact, I responding more in jest (jokingly) than seriously but it seems right...

Does anyone know if cleavage is plural?  Would someone with a mastectomy just have cleave?
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(09-09-2011, 05:31 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

You're very welcome, and I'm not actually sure myself.  In fact, I responding more in jest (jokingly) than seriously but it seems right...

Does anyone know if cleavage is plural?  Would someone with a mastectomy just have cleave?

Definition: the area between a woman's breasts, especially when revealed by a low-cut neckline.

Each woman only has one area between her breasts, so it wouldn’t be plural if she is human. I guess if you saw a lot of women with cleavage you could say “I saw a lot of cleavages today,” and be grammatically correct, but we usually don’t separate the woman from the equation in speech: instead we say “I saw a lot of women with cleavage today,”

(09-09-2011, 06:31 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote:

Definition: the area between a woman's breasts, especially when revealed by a low-cut neckline.

Each woman only has one area between her breasts, so it wouldn’t be plural if she is human. I guess if you saw a lot of women with cleavage you could say “I saw a lot of cleavages today,” and be grammatically correct, but we usually don’t separate the woman from the equation in speech: instead we say “I saw a lot of women with cleavage today,”

Yeah, but it's the area between breasts, plural.  So cleavage is predicated on a plural but it is singular per se?

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(09-09-2011, 06:33 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 06:31 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote:

Yeah, but it's the area between breasts, plural.  So cleavage is predicated on a plural but it is singular per se?

Correct, its one area between two breasts.