No Hooters shirts in Mass, please
This thread has become an occasion of sin. Not because of the clevage, but because I might kill someone.
(09-09-2011, 06:31 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 05:31 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 01:01 PM)patricia m. Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 04:37 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 04:32 PM)patricia m. Wrote: - no cleavages

Isn't "cleavage" by necessity plural?  I don't think you need the "es" on the end...

Thanks for correcting me. English is not my first language, and I'm always learning new stuff. Sometimes people don't correct me because they think it's impolite, but I do like being corrected when I'm not speaking/writing proper English.

You're very welcome, and I'm not actually sure myself.  In fact, I responding more in jest (jokingly) than seriously but it seems right...

Does anyone know if cleavage is plural?  Would someone with a mastectomy just have cleave?

Definition: the area between a woman's breasts, especially when revealed by a low-cut neckline.

Each woman only has one area between her breasts, so it wouldn’t be plural if she is human. I guess if you saw a lot of women with cleavage you could say “I saw a lot of cleavages today,” and be grammatically correct, but we usually don’t separate the woman from the equation in speech: instead we say “I saw a lot of women with cleavage today,”

:laughing:

Any comic artist understands the concept of double cleavage.    :P

~~~~~~~~~
What has happened to this thread?
(09-09-2011, 06:40 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: This thread has become an occasion of sin. Not because of the clevage, but because I might kill someone.

:rofl:
To prevent this thread from becoming an occasion to sin for those other than WRC

[Image: Nancy-Pelosi-at-the-DPOC.jpg]
Hey, how many times do you get to have a discussion that involves the proper use of grammar and boobs?

And I think we all learned something, too!
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(09-09-2011, 06:51 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Hey, how many times do you get to have a discussion that involves the proper use of grammar and boobs?

And I think we all learned something, too!

You’re soooooooooo funny.  ::)
(09-09-2011, 06:31 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Definition: the area between a woman's breasts, especially when revealed by a low-cut neckline.

Each woman only has one area between her breasts, so it wouldn’t be plural if she is human. I guess if you saw a lot of women with cleavage you could say “I saw a lot of cleavages today,” and be grammatically correct, but we usually don’t separate the woman from the equation in speech: instead we say “I saw a lot of women with cleavage today,”

:laughing:
The word "cleavages" just sounds wrong... are you sure it's not one of those words like "fish" that stays the same to become plural?

e.g.: "I saw a lot of cleavage today."
(09-07-2011, 07:27 AM)Petertherock Wrote: We need more priests like St. Padre Pio who would throw these people right out of Church until they put some clothes on.

"Judge not"

"But we need to love our neighbour"

"That is against the current teaching of the church"

"Jesus would never do that"
(09-09-2011, 07:28 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 11:41 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Empress Elisabeth of Austria:

[Image: 333px-Erzsebet_kiralyne_photo_1867.jpg]

Royalty got away with a lot in the Church. That doesn't mean they got away with it in God's eyes. 

Posting examples of royalty who got away with fashions that they shouldn't have necessarily gotten away with doesn't change God's precepts; nor does it appropriately lower the standard for the House of God.

It wasn't just royalty, though. As far as I'm aware, fashions such as that were popular among non-royals, as well.
(09-09-2011, 06:42 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: To prevent this thread from becoming an occasion to sin for those other than WRC

[Image: Nancy-Pelosi-at-the-DPOC.jpg]

I don't have a problem with how Nancy Pelosi looks considering her age.