No Hooters shirts in Mass, please
(09-07-2011, 05:48 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 05:44 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 05:39 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 04:55 PM)knittycat Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 11:21 AM)Texican Wrote:
(09-06-2011, 08:17 PM)StevusMagnus Wrote: Still, was that woman who was approaching the altar to receive Holy Communion really wearing a Hooters shirt?

Yes, she was.

That's so judgemental and intolerant...

Darn right it is. And it should be. We should be intolerant of people who dress like hookers in the presence of our Lord!

Not to mention these women dressed like this are putting a lot of men in at least a near occasion of sin if not in out and out mortal sin...another reason why going to the NO is sinful.

I sympathize with your position, but the man always maintains control of his eyes.  The woman isn't personally responsible for whatever the man does, but she might be committing scandal- I think?  Wish Rosarium was still here.  That was his word.

That's bullshit. When women dress like hookers and are in the pew in front of you or walk by you you can't maintain control of your eyes. By nature men are the aggressors in relationships. You really need to read the book The Dogma of Hell and How to Avoid Hell by Fr. Schoupp. There is a whole section on this...I believe I posted this here not so long ago. I will see if I can find it.

The nature of man is to be governed by his reason and intellect.  That's why we have reason and intellect.  This is the "gay sex is natural" argument applied to dudes vs chicks in church.  When the woman dresses immodestly she sets into motion a chain of "unavoidable and uncontrollable events" to which the man has nothing to say.  Maybe if you're a Calvinist.

Peter, please understand that I am not going to say that women should dress like that under any circumstances, particularly in church.  But <i>if a woman does</i> (to quote INP here) "She is personally responsible if she, rejecting the dictates of her conscience, thereby occasions the sin of another by her immodest attire." 

In such a situation, which I'm sure happens, then she is personally guilty of leading another to sin.  But how are we to know?  It can easily be argued that these girls are a product of their society and wouldn't know modesty if it kicked them in the face.  Are we to spend our time discerning their motives?  (I don't believe that all women who dress like that have no idea what they're doing.  I'm simply saying <i>we don't know who does and who doesn't.</i>  Surely some do and surely some don't.)

Regardless, the man retains responsibility of his thoughts.  That is the province of the reason and intellect, as well as the will.  A man sins no less mortally if he lusts after a woman who was dressed immodestly or one that wasn't.  And he isn't absolved of his sin and it doesn't become any less grievous simply because there was a "trigger." 

He retains sole ownership of where his mind wanders.  If he sees someone in church dressed like a hooa then his mind might go there for a second.  But as soon as he realizes what's going on he needs to make a choice- whether to acquiesce to lust or to get out of dodge.  seeing as how its in church and in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, I can't see a better position to be in to fight against carnal temptation.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

Messages In This Thread
Re: No Hooters shirts in Mass, please - by Mithrandylan - 09-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Re: No Hooters shirts in Mass, please - by Dust - 09-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Re: No Hooters shirts in Mass, please - by Dust - 09-10-2011, 03:33 PM