No Hooters shirts in Mass, please
(09-09-2011, 06:31 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 05:31 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 01:01 PM)patricia m. Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 04:37 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 04:32 PM)patricia m. Wrote: - no cleavages

Isn't "cleavage" by necessity plural?  I don't think you need the "es" on the end...

Thanks for correcting me. English is not my first language, and I'm always learning new stuff. Sometimes people don't correct me because they think it's impolite, but I do like being corrected when I'm not speaking/writing proper English.

You're very welcome, and I'm not actually sure myself.  In fact, I responding more in jest (jokingly) than seriously but it seems right...

Does anyone know if cleavage is plural?  Would someone with a mastectomy just have cleave?

Definition: the area between a woman's breasts, especially when revealed by a low-cut neckline.

Each woman only has one area between her breasts, so it wouldn’t be plural if she is human. I guess if you saw a lot of women with cleavage you could say “I saw a lot of cleavages today,” and be grammatically correct, but we usually don’t separate the woman from the equation in speech: instead we say “I saw a lot of <i>women</i> with cleavage today,”

:laughing:

Any comic artist understands the concept of double cleavage.    :P

~~~~~~~~~
What has happened to this thread?

Messages In This Thread
Re: No Hooters shirts in Mass, please - by Dust - 09-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Re: No Hooters shirts in Mass, please - by Roger the Shrubber - 09-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Re: No Hooters shirts in Mass, please - by Dust - 09-10-2011, 03:33 PM