No Hooters shirts in Mass, please
(09-11-2011, 12:04 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 07:28 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 11:41 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Empress Elisabeth of Austria:

[Image: 333px-Erzsebet_kiralyne_photo_1867.jpg]

Royalty got away with a lot in the Church. That doesn't mean they got away with it in God's eyes. 

Posting examples of royalty who got away with fashions that they shouldn't have necessarily gotten away with doesn't change God's precepts; nor does it appropriately lower the standard for the House of God.

It wasn't just royalty, though. As far as I'm aware, fashions such as that were popular among non-royals, as well.

So...everybody else is doing it, why can't we? That's not how the Catholic church works.
(09-11-2011, 02:45 PM)knittycat Wrote: So...everybody else is doing it, why can't we? That's not how the Catholic church works.

I would say that actually is kind of how it works when it comes to modesty. Of course, there are some rules that are always applicable, but modesty is culturally relative to a great extent.
(09-11-2011, 02:48 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 02:45 PM)knittycat Wrote: So...everybody else is doing it, why can't we? That's not how the Catholic church works.

I would say that actually is kind of how it works when it comes to modesty. Of course, there are some rules that are always applicable, but modesty is culturally relative to a great extent.

True. E.g., no man would wear a hat at Mass today, yet in 16th-17th Century Spain it was considered a faux pas to not wear your hat at Mass! :)
(09-11-2011, 12:04 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(09-09-2011, 07:28 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 11:41 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Empress Elisabeth of Austria:

[Image: 333px-Erzsebet_kiralyne_photo_1867.jpg]

Royalty got away with a lot in the Church. That doesn't mean they got away with it in God's eyes. 

Posting examples of royalty who got away with fashions that they shouldn't have necessarily gotten away with doesn't change God's precepts; nor does it appropriately lower the standard for the House of God.

It wasn't just royalty, though. As far as I'm aware, fashions such as that were popular among non-royals, as well.

Of course, but the same principle applies.

My point is that royalty shouldn't be followed into hell any more than any peasant.