Social upheaval before V2
(09-07-2011, 08:40 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: Check out this newsreel from 1948 where Pope Pius XII greeted young women from Italy. It is titled "Pope Receives World Youth".

Actually, I found that video problematic too. Where the heck are all the young men? Sleeping in? Hanging out in the brothels?

Looks like Catholicism in the late 1940's was heavily feminized. It's no wonder that in so many places, the Faith is like the property of a bunch of old harpies.
(09-07-2011, 09:05 PM)Scipio_a Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 08:40 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Adam Wayne brought up a really good point about his friend stating Catholics are no longer persecuted. The changes in the Church since Vatican II made the faith much more friendly toward Protestantism. Most American Protestants no longer have a problem with Catholics because they don't see how they are too different from Protestants. Now if the Church begins to move closer to tradition that's going to change drastically.

Not so.

one branch of my grandparents had no problems...and their parents had no problems related to being Catholic...and that was in BOSTON...home of the Wasp Yankee at the turn of the last century

none of my other grand parents or my immediate family had any problems...even in the South...Virginia and the like..

My Hessian ancestors had no problems either when they settled in New Jersey after deciding to stay after the War

As we move toward tradition nothing will change in our relations with prots unless we let the sanctomons be in charge...then certainly...

This is all an outcome from the wisdom of the 30 years war where the West finally got smart and said in unison..."enough"

Scip,

You deny JFK was hit with anti-Catholicism in 1960? Do you think he would have been elected if he said he was a Catholic first than an American? Richard Nixon didn't think so.

Public schools also tended to push Protestantism in the class room which is why so many Catholics went to Catholic schools.

If Catholics begin talking more about the Saints, the Virgin Mary, opposition to divorce, and opposition to birth control you will see Protestants react very negatively.

Take a look at how the press has covered the SSPX. You like the coverage? If the SSPX gets regularized expect lots of stories about how the Church is running back to the middle ages.  Do you see a lot of Protestants that have nice things to say about it? I actually read an article the other day that made Archbishop Lefebvre look like a Nazi supporter which is kind of funny as his father was killed by the Nazis. g back to the middle ages.  Do you see a lot of Protestants that have nice things to say about it? I actually read an article the other day that made Archbishop Lefebvre look like a Nazi supporter which is kind of funny as his father was killed by the Nazis.
Now this is a very good thread!
We should have more like these.
(09-07-2011, 09:26 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Now this is a very good thread!
We should have more like these.

Don't worry I am sure it will degenerate soon into a series of insults :)
(09-07-2011, 09:19 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Scip,

You deny JFK was hit with anti-Catholicism in 1960? Do you think he would have been elected if he said he was a Catholic first than an American? Richard Nixon didn't think so.

Public schools also tended to push Protestantism in the class room which is why so many Catholics went to Catholic schools.

If Catholics begin talking more about the Saints, the Virgin Mary, opposition to divorce, and opposition to birth control you will see Protestants react very negatively.

Take a look at how the press has covered the SSPX. You like the coverage? If the SSPX gets regularized expect lots of stories about how the Church is running back to the middle ages.  Do you see a lot of Protestants that have nice things to say about it? I actually read an article the other day that made Archbishop Lefebvre look like a Nazi supporter which is kind of funny as his father was killed by the Nazis. g back to the middle ages.  Do you see a lot of Protestants that have nice things to say about it? I actually read an article the other day that made Archbishop Lefebvre look like a Nazi supporter which is kind of funny as his father was killed by the Nazis.

your rhetorical device at the beginning won't work...the piece of shit became president...so some haters made no impact...additioanly....no one is going to become president if they say

"I'm a Baptist first...then an American...."

or "I'm a Anglican...then an American....

won't fly...what you are selling to get elected office....is what UNIFIES you...you don't get all confrontational about..."Oh I'm better than everyone I want to vote for me because of my religion..."and why are Catholics going to whine about that treatment when they DO THE SAME THING daily on this forum..."I won't support a Lutheran tart"

"How can any Catholic support a born again hand waver?"

"Palin is not trust worthy since she's a pentecostal"

"Romney is a Mormon...so no...."

and other threads...."Do protestants worship the Bible?"

"Protestant idiocy...".....etc...

so you have a long way to go to prove...especially in light of the empirical evidence I have from generations of my family being here since the revolution as mercenaries for the crown..and on both sides of the Mason Dixon line...at times that were supposed to be oh so hard..

Catholics did not go to Catholic schools to avoid being taught prtism...the attended Catholic schools because it was a veritable requirement before and even after WW2.

Also...under what circumstances would someone just strike up a casual conversation about Out Lady and saints....REALLY

and if they become pertinent to a conversation there are polite way to introduce the subject without creating ire...

I am a trad...a rad trad by any real definition...yet at work...with my Baptist friends...if there is a place for something that is decidedly Catholic  I let them know..."I know you guys don't have this...or do this...by you know I'm Catholic....we do XYZ for that"

no one ever gets up in arms...no one tries to sell me something else...they listen and the conversation moves forward....and if they have some thing they do which is pertinent...they either introduce it that way...or know that it is understood by context...so no harm no foul...no one uncomfortable or pissed...

As for the coverage of the SSPX...there has been some bad press and some decent press...overall...not much press....the bad press is caused not by the SSPXs Catholicism or even the Mass...except when an NO rag gets hold of a story....rather it is always the trad propensity for conspiracy which is the problem...and you know what IT IS A PROBLEM...one that needs to be reported on...so that +F gets off his ass and does a smack down...do you really need to be told this...I mean shit...there are guys going around calling themselves Catholics and trads no less....who think the Naazi regime was a good thing....WTF...and some who think it was the lesser of two or three evils...and we are one of those worse evils....that is a problem within the trad movement...and until it is rooted out and placed in the toilet...the trad movement will deserve....ALL of that bad press.

Anyway...spent too much time on this BS...I I have a movie and cake...If you have any questions...the teacher's aides will be available
(09-07-2011, 09:16 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 08:40 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: Check out this newsreel from 1948 where Pope Pius XII greeted young women from Italy. It is titled "Pope Receives World Youth".

Actually, I found that video problematic too. Where the heck are all the young men? Sleeping in? Hanging out in the brothels?

Looks like Catholicism in the late 1940's was heavily feminized. It's no wonder that in so many places, the Faith is like the property of a bunch of old harpies.

It seems the marchers were a part of a girls organization. The title of the clip is misleading. It should be "The Pope welcomes the Girls Action Committee". It wouldn't make much sense for there to be very many boys at a gathering of the Girls Action Committee. ;)
Scip,

When Bush was asked who favorite philosopher was he said Jesus Christ. He many times said his faith was more important than anything else in his life. Jimmy Cater said the same as well.

And there is an important book called the Separation of Church and State by someone named Hamburg I think. It discusses how anti-Catholicism was key in creating the Catholic school system and also the modern notion of separation of church and state. This is a book published by Harvard University Press not by some crazed trad publishing house.

(09-07-2011, 09:48 PM)knittycat Wrote: It seems the marchers were a part of a girls organization. The title of the clip is misleading. It should be "The Pope welcomes the Girls Action Committee". It wouldn't make much sense for there to be very many boys at a gathering of the Girls Action Committee. ;)

Even if that were true, women don't matter. Men are the force needed to revitalize the Church. Yes indeed.
So, that begs the question. Where are they? The priest was BEGGING people to volunteer for CCD this year. There are three years with no teacher. And there are very few people helping out with traffic control. Does that mean I shouldn't volunteer cuz I'm not a man?
(09-07-2011, 10:15 PM)knittycat Wrote: So, that begs the question. Where are they? The priest was BEGGING people to volunteer for CCD this year. There are three years with no teacher. And there are very few people helping out with traffic control. Does that mean I shouldn't volunteer cuz I'm not a man?

HK is spot on when it comes to deacons and minor orders, but he's a little nutty when it comes to women in the church.

Although I am surprised they are going to let you teach CCD since your not a Catholic yet.