New Cathedral planned for the Diocese of Raleigh, North Carolina.
Bishop Burbidge of the Diocese of Raleigh North Carolina has announced plans to build a beautiful new cathedral for the Diocese of Raleigh.
The old one only seats 375.

http://philipgerardjohnson.blogspot.com/...r-new.html
Perhaps most Catholics don't mind weird juxtapositions and dichotomies in architecture because they like Gothic (which is the ultimate hyperbole of mixture), but the architect in me says "ew". Why is there a rounded crossing of the transept without a dome, like some Greek church? Why is the campanile flat at the top like a Romanesque tower? Worst of all, why is the Baroque facade, in white, covered by a red extension leading to a cloister-like colonnade? Why is the colonnade/portico put so far forward from the entrance, and why is the entrance covered up? It looks like an underground parking lot was just slapped on to lead to the front door. Also, the northern tower at the entrance makes the southern baptistry (I assume that's what it is) look like a fisherman's hut. There's no proportion or sense of continuity.

Each of those styles would be fine in of itself, but the bizarre mix shows it off to be typically modern and eclectic. Is there no such thing as decency and uniformity of aesthetic anymore? Obviously it's better than your average New Age swimming pool complex shopping mall of a church, but you don't get lower than that on the scale. In its attempt to look old, the design proves to the "architectural eye" that it's really quite new. It's your typical weird neoclassical blend of elements that don't fit together.
Its beautiful isn't it.
(09-08-2011, 02:28 PM)dan hunter Wrote: Its beautiful isn't it.

Not from the theoretician's point of view!  :laughing:

I don't mean to derail your thread, it just isn't my style. :) Sorry... I'm sure others like it.
It does looks a little grab-bag but at least it doesn't look like a space ship:

Cathedral of Our Lady of Futile Resistance, Los Angeles, Kalifornia

[Image: 01cathedral.jpg]

with that, I'll take this

[Image: Image-4.jpg]
Compared to what they have been building it's great!!!!!!!!!
It will blend in with the surrounding architecture at NC state.  Its more attractive than almost any other Catholic Church within an hour of downtown Raleigh, it really needs an altar rail though.
(09-08-2011, 10:55 PM)Peter Gabriel Wrote: It will blend in with the surrounding architecture at NC state.  Its more attractive than almost any other Catholic Church within an hour of downtown Raleigh, it really needs an altar rail though.
It looks like there is an altar rail in the plans.
Peter it's after Vatican 2 we need a barbed wire fence to keep the eucharistic ministers off the altar!